• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entry Level Custom Rifle - Northwest Action Works

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Northwest Action Works -- Rough Rider

Over the winter I had the opportunity to spend a little bit of time with a Rough Rider Rifle from nwaw-1 This is a entry level custom rifle.

The Rough Rider has base price of $2750 and is spec'd out on their site with the following details.

Rough Rider $2750

• Trued stainless steel Remington 700 action
    • Timney trigger
    • Shilen stainless steel match grade barrel
    • Manners, KRG, or AICS stock of your choice
    • Barreled action Cerakoted in your color choice (bolt coated in Micro-Slick)
    • Seekins Precision 20 MOA Picatinny rail
    • Salt bath nitriding of barreled action comes standard

People are always looking for a custom rifle builder as most of the ones talked about on SH are backlogged at least 9 months, some even more. So this is a great way to get a custom rifle without all the wait from a new company.

Mason from Northwest sent over a custom 308 in a Manners stock and equipped it withe Vortex scope so it was ready to go out of the box. All I had to do was shoot it which, during the winter was a great. I used a variety of ammo, not settling on just one type, I grouped with several different types over the course of my visit with the rifle.

NWAW 1.jpg

From Federal Gold Medal Match to even trying out some Fiocchi the rifles gave me excellent results.

NWAW 4.jpg

The indoor range made it easy to focus on the basics, and get see how the rifle would group.

NWAW 2.jpg

NWAW 5.jpg

Their services are more than reasonable and they have several models and options to choose from. Everything from basic barreled actions to full build.

Service Page

• ​Thread/Muzzle brake installation - $100+cost of brake
    • ​Muzzle thread protector - $20
    • Remington 700 action truing - $175
    • Full re-barrel: true action, install/crown barrel - $350 + Blank
    • Re-barrel of previously trued/custom action - $250 + Blank
    • Pillar and glass bed - $250
    • Skim bed for chassis - $150
    • Bed recoil lug area of chassis - $50
    • Salt bath nitriding of barreled action - $200
    • ​Custom PTG bolt installation- $75 + cost of bolt
    • Timney trigger upgrade/installation - $160
    • Jewell trigger upgrade/installation - $250
    • Scope/Rail/Rings Options see Components page
    • Custom load development available, please call for pricing

From dedicated hunting rigs to custom builds in AI Chassis, its definitely an option to look into too.

They do only have a few calibers listed, however I think they hit the highlights so be sure to ask if you dont see something you are looking for listed.

Cartridge Options: 22-250, 6.5 Creedmoor​, 6.5 x 284 Norma, 264 Win Mag, 7 WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Win, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua Mag, 338 Edge.

As I said, people are always asking about options, and with the recent rush of orders hitting the big named guys, it's always nice to find a small business willing to support the tactical community with a reasonably priced custom build.

Here is a video they did of their rifle shooting at distance.

Eastern Oregon Rock Hunting 5/12 - YouTube

Just to throw out my $.02, Northwest Action Works recently did a full true up and chamber/install of a Krieger barrel in .260 for me. Keeping in mind they are very local to me, I handed them my rifle and blank personally and exactly 3 weeks later they handed it back. I'm only 70 rounds deep but so far I have zero complaints. The rifle was a track driver out to 1300 last weekend. First competition with it this weekend. I expect good things from this rifle if I do my part. Mason was very helpful and informative when planning.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364846226460.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1364846226460.jpg
      101.1 KB · Views: 29
    Good to hear a good report on these guys. I spoke with Mason last year when I was looking for a left handed build...Very nice guy and upfront. He did not have what I wanted at the time but based on just our conservations, I would have prob used him.

Just to throw out my $.02, Northwest Action Works recently did a full true up and chamber/install of a Krieger barrel in .260 for me. Keeping in mind they are very local to me, I handed them my rifle and blank personally and exactly 3 weeks later they handed it back. I'm only 70 rounds deep but so far I have zero complaints. The rifle was a track driver out to 1300 last weekend. First competition with it this weekend. I expect good things from this rifle if I do my part. Mason was very helpful and informative when planning.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Nice report on the rifle, and also good to know we have someone in the Portland area to do work. So to confirm, are these guys located in the Portland Metro area?? I have a rifle that will need to be bedded so it would be nice to drop it off versus shipping.

Yup, they are located in Portland.

Did some fine tuning/double checking tonight with my rifle they worked over. I'm just over 100 rounds through it at everything from 100 to 1300 yards and it hasn't let me down. I'm not one to normally shoot groups but did tonight for a change. Went to the range, put 5 rounds through it, didn't feel the need to waste any more ammo so called it good.

886520_4073359411342_1674468750_o.jpg

5 shot group, 142SMK's, 2820FPS
    891715_4073336330765_1190267653_o.jpg

NWAW is GTG.
    I bought a trued 700 SA with a PTG bolt this winter for a 7wsm.
    friendly and did good work

Thanks for the post! Just saw that they are a group buy for barreled actions for 1150 bucks! Not a bad deal by any means....

John

Received a trued action from them last fall for a rifle build. One ragged hole at 100. I'd say it will shoot.

I'm currently having them build a .284 win for me. So far i cant say enough good things about them, they have been really friendly and more than helpful. I'm glad to see this getting out there!

Anyone know anything about or have any experience with the Ramrod actions they offer? Searched around and can not find anything.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Hey I live in oregon too. Do they let you go to their shop and look at their rifles? since I live like 30mins away from them. Where do you do competitions? where did you shoot 1300 yards since I'm new to long range and looking for places to shoot 1k at

Hey I live in oregon too. Do they let you go to their shop and look at their rifles? since I live like 30mins away from them. Where do you do competitions? where did you shoot 1300 yards since I'm new to long range and looking for places to shoot 1k at

You'd have to contact them to ask about their shop and stuff. I live out in Colton but most of our spots for long range are in Central Oregon or the coast range. Have you looked in to the COSSA range outside Bend?

I stumbled across these guys recently and am currently having them do a full build with their ramrod action. I have heard good tings and will definitely let everyone know when I get my 6.5 Creedmoor. I can't wait!!

Here's another vote for NWAW. They built my 260 and it's a one ragged hole rifle. Great guys, too.

I had ordered a barreled action a while back from nwaw .mason was working get my parts the rifle that was tested came up for sale .contacted mason and asked if they would sell me the barreled action . It's on the way could not ask for any one better to deal with.

I personally received great customer service, advice, and a great shooting rifle from these guys. They will be building my next rifle. Mason and Evan were great to work with. They built me a 6.5 Creedmoor with #7 Shilen barrel on a KRG Whiskey 3 Chassis. Took a couple long range workshops this summer and made a cold bore shot out to 1200 yards. image.jpg

Got my rifle in a few days ago and could not be happier with it. Could not wait for my vortex pst to come in through an old BSA on it and at 100 yards the groups were all with 1.25 inches . Can't wait to get some good glass on it a see what it really does .

Got a barreled action on the books...waiting "patiently" and hoping for the best!

Anyone know if they do builds/rebarrels on tikka actions?

Are the actions and Barrels customer supplied or do they stock anything?

They stock some remington 700 actions and I believe the Ramrod actions. Barrels now come from Benchmark or so that's what they prefer/recommend.