• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entry level precision .22?

yomer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Indiana
Looking to get a .22 to hopefully get into NRL .22 type competition. Hoping to spend 1200 including scope, so I'm leaning towards a Bergara BMR for now but can't fully decide.

I only have consistent access to about 400 yards and my 6.5 is quite frankly boring and pointless to shoot at that distance so I'm looking to get into rimfire

Tikka and cz great choices as well.
I was looking at the CZ 457 AT-ONE, and ProVarmint but they seem OOS everywhere, and wasn't sure if those were worth the price hike over the BMR, which can be had for about 500 it seems.

Lot of guys I shoot with run czs but with aftermarket chassis and stocks. The tikka is very accurate as well and can be had in 16 and 20 inch barrel lengths. The at one has the adjustable length of pull and cheek height which is important to get proper gun fit.

Lot of guys I shoot with run czs but with aftermarket chassis and stocks. The tikka is very accurate as well and can be had in 16 and 20 inch barrel lengths. The at one has the adjustable length of pull and cheek height which is important to get proper gun fit.
Do you happen to know when these might become more available or go on sale? I can get the Bergara BMR for about 475 shipped right now. I'm not in a huge rush, but don't wanna miss a decent deal if I'm gonna be waiting months

FWIW, don't force yourself to stay in base class re; $1200 limit. You'll end up hindering yourself.

Provided you don't get a dud barrel any of the common choices are accurate enough to be competitive. It comes down to good ammo and how well you can use it. The better you can make the rifle fit you and having a scope that has the features and quality you need directly affects how well you can do if you are not fighting your system to use it.

CZ457, several stock options and many barrel options, great factory trigger.
Bergara B14-R, (700 clone, barreled actions available) practically unlimited stock options, trigger options (factory is not horrible), not many barrel options but then, they are known for accuracy.
BMR is so new, haven’t heard of aftermarket options other than triggers (700 Rem clone).
Tikka T-1X, a few barrel options, tunable trigger, limited stock options.
Ruger RPR, some aftermarket barrels, not sure on the trigger.
Volquartsen Summit (think straight pull Ruger 10/22 clone)
Virtually limitless options in barrels, stocks, triggers, and flush fit 10 shot, and several high capacity mag options.

Never been a better time for choices in precision rimfires, and who knows what else will get released this year?

Reactions: Sblzrd65
FWIW, don't force yourself to stay in base class re; $1200 limit. You'll end up hindering yourself.

Provided you don't get a dud barrel any of the common choices are accurate enough to be competitive. It comes down to good ammo and how well you can use it. The better you can make the rifle fit you and having a scope that has the features and quality you need directly affects how well you can do if you are not fighting your system to use it.
I'm mainly staying at that for my own budget - I can't really afford to spend more than 1k roughly, it just happens to align with base class lol

I was looking at the CZ 457 AT-ONE, and ProVarmint but they seem OOS everywhere, and wasn't sure if those were worth the price hike over the BMR, which can be had for about 500 it seems.
I’m in the market for same reason as you. Don’t mean to hijack thread but is it normal that czs offerings are OOS? Are they producing something new they will show off at SHOT?

I’m in the market for same reason as you. Don’t mean to hijack thread but is it normal that czs offerings are OOS? Are they producing something new they will show off at SHOT?
I'm wondering this too - I see a lot of listings on gun broker but they're all for 150 more than what I feel like everyone tells me they paid for those respective models

Get a regular 457 and stick it in a KRG Bravo. I have an At-One and found the At-One's stock isn't the best tool for the job.

Or get a 'base' model 457 and stick it in a chassis

Get the biggest scope that the base class will allow. Most people I shoot with are running 5-25/6 x 56 or bigger scopes. A zero stop is important. I'd also suggest a Christmas tree style reticle for those stages that the MD won't let you dial for elevation.

HTH

M

Yeah, I've been tempted to grab this, but I prefer the stock on the CZ At-one and ProVarmint...but the cost I'm not sure is worth the difference (and they're not really in stock anywhere)
I had a BMR. Great little rifle

No aftermarket support tho.

I'd still have one if I wasn't shooting PRS style matches

M

Get a regular 457 and stick it in a KRG Bravo. I have an At-One and found the At-One's stock isn't the best tool for the job.

Or get a 'base' model 457 and stick it in a chassis

Get the biggest scope that the base class will allow. Most people I shoot with are running 5-25/6 x 56 or bigger scopes. A zero stop is important. I'd also suggest a Christmas tree style reticle for those stages that the MD won't let you dial for elevation.

HTH

M
Would this allow me to stay in base class? I was thinking about trying to stay in that since base class requirements align with my budget (I had my budget in mind before I even knew the different classes)

Would this allow me to stay in base class? I was thinking about trying to stay in that since base class requirements align with my budget (I had my budget in mind before I even knew the different classes)
I could be wrong but I don’t think you can modify your rifle to that extent and stay in base class.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Once you start switching out stocks then it's out of base class. Still, either way it's the same people shooting at the same targets with either class. Still, noting to say you can't start with a CZ 457/Bergara/Tikka T1x/etc. and decent scope and run with that. Then down the line as finances and desire allowed, can always upgrade the stock/chassis, barrel, trigger, etc

Reactions: Tortuga
Don't buy/build with a plan to shoot base class.

If your club is anything like our area clubs....practically nobody shoots base class. We'd have 20-30 shooters per in 4 area clubs and maybe 3-5 were base class. 1 or 2 would be Old Gun. And 1 or 2 would be Youth. And maybe 1 or 2 would be Ladies.

The Open class had great cash payouts for winning and Base didn't really get shit because attendees all went Open (if they did come back at all) after seeing the toys they could run and the payout was dramatically better.

Plus you might want to factor in what rules PRS, P.R.O. or whatever organizational bodies of your local area clubs run.

It would be one thing if the COF did different things for the different divisions (other than OG)....but your doing the same shit with the same amount of allowable support gear. So no real reason if your an OK shooter to just start in Open and not worry about running afoul of any rules.

Reactions: Tortuga
Don't buy/build with a plan to shoot base class.

If your club is anything like our area clubs....practically nobody shoots base class. We'd have 20-30 shooters per in 4 area clubs and maybe 3-5 were base class. 1 or 2 would be Old Gun. And 1 or 2 would be Youth. And maybe 1 or 2 would be Ladies.

The Open class had great cash payouts for winning and Base didn't really get shit because attendees all went Open (if they did come back at all) after seeing the toys they could run and the payout was dramatically better.

Plus you might want to factor in what rules PRS, P.R.O. or whatever organizational bodies of your local area clubs run.

It would be one thing if the COF did different things for the different divisions (other than OG)....but your doing the same shit with the same amount of allowable support gear. So no real reason if your an OK shooter to just start in Open and not worry about running afoul of any rules.
Yeah, I'm just trying to consider my budget. What would be the absolute best build I could do for 1k-1200 without considering class? (This would include scope).

Hands down. Get a CZ 457. (They are all over the net and easy to find at discount prices). Any heavy barreled 457 will likely shoot great right out of the box but it can also grow with you due to it's excellent modularity and aftermarket support. Nothing comes close.

I would go 457 with an arken scope.
^^^^ This
Get the Pro Varmint 457 and Arken SH4 6x24 that keeps you in base class for NRL22 if you’re only doing PRS and want production class you can put a little better glass on it.

NRL22 base < $1200 gun + optic only
PRS production < $1500 gun + optic only

Prices are for MSRP from manufacturers web site only add the gun and optic all other add ons don’t matter.

I dipped my toes into precision rimfire with a 457 Provarmint and a 5-25 Strike Eagle. It's been a great rifle out of the box and it shoots extremely well. The stock is very functional except the comb height is a little low, the trigger was very nice out of the box and the action on my rifle is really smooth and fast. I don't have time to shoot many matches, but I made it out to a rimfire PRS match late last summer and shot it with this rifle basically stock. I had swapped the bolt knob and added a stock pack to bump up the comb height on the stock, but those were the only changes and I didn't feel the rifle held me back at all. All my misses were squarely on me, not the rifle. I need to spend some more time on the 400 yard line with it working on data, but its pretty solid out to 300 so far. From 200 and in, it seems like it's hard to miss with this rifle.

If your budget is all in (including rings and a rail, not just optic and rifle), it kind of limits your optic choices, but I've been really pleased with my rifle, enough so that I'd drop a few features from my optic to stay with this rifle and hit the budget.

The amount of aftermarket support available for the 457 is pretty significant if you think you might eventually tinker with your rifle. Changing barrels on the 457 is ridiculously easy too.

I dipped my toes into precision rimfire with a 457 Provarmint and a 5-25 Strike Eagle. It's been a great rifle out of the box and it shoots extremely well. The stock is very functional except the comb height is a little low, the trigger was very nice out of the box and the action on my rifle is really smooth and fast. I don't have time to shoot many matches, but I made it out to a rimfire PRS match late last summer and shot it with this rifle basically stock. I had swapped the bolt knob and added a stock pack to bump up the comb height on the stock, but those were the only changes and I didn't feel the rifle held me back at all. All my misses were squarely on me, not the rifle. I need to spend some more time on the 400 yard line with it working on data, but its pretty solid out to 300 so far. From 200 and in, it seems like it's hard to miss with this rifle.

If your budget is all in (including rings and a rail, not just optic and rifle), it kind of limits your optic choices, but I've been really pleased with my rifle, enough so that I'd drop a few features from my optic to stay with this rifle and hit the budget.

The amount of aftermarket support available for the 457 is pretty significant if you think you might eventually tinker with your rifle. Changing barrels on the 457 is ridiculously easy too.
I can't find the ProVarmint anywhere aside from GunBroker

Yeah, I'm just trying to consider my budget. What would be the absolute best build I could do for 1k-1200 without considering class? (This would include scope).
If you don't start with one of the 'fancy' 457 variants, and how well you shop closeouts and blems, my 457 came in at your budget.

KRG Bravo
Vortex Venom

You can find deals if you don't have to have the 'perfect' rifle right now.

The rifle isn't what's holding me back shooting MARS matches.

M

edited to add: you can always get another barrel later. You don't NEED the heavy barrel from the Varmint or similar rifles to start with. You really don't shoot that many rounds at a time at a PRS match. Is it nice? Sure. Will it help you right now? Probably not unless you're already really good at building positions on the clock then executing good shots from that position. At least in my limited experience

Last edited:
Reactions: Emerson0311
If you don't start with one of the 'fancy' 457 variants, and how well you shop closeouts and blems, my 457 came in at your budget.

KRG Bravo
Vortex Venom

You can find deals if you don't have to have the 'perfect' rifle right now.

The rifle isn't what's holding me back shooting MARS matches.

M

edited to add: you can always get another barrel later. You don't NEED the heavy barrel from the Varmint or similar rifles to start with. You really don't shoot that many rounds at a time at a PRS match. Is it nice? Sure. Will it help you right now? Probably not unless you're already really good at building positions on the clock then executing good shots from that position. At least in my limited experience
My biggest wants are the threaded barrel, free float, and heavy barrel. Any suggestions on where to keep an eye out for deals?

Find your local CZ dealer and see if they can order one for you. Mine has had more CZ .22's in the shop in the last 3 or 4 months than I've seen in about a year. Gunbroker isn't always a terrible way to go either, assuming you've got an FFL that does transfers for a reasonable price.

My biggest wants are the threaded barrel, free float, and heavy barrel. Any suggestions on where to keep an eye out for deals?
That shouldn't be hard. The CZ 457 Pro Varmint, At-One, VPC , THB and VPT can all accommodate that list. Suggest you do a weekly search at gundeals.com for all those models. That search engine will list online sources that have them in stock, and in the order of cheapest prices. Admittedly, this seems to be a bad time for inventory. Not a month back Battlehawk Armory and Dahlonega Armory had all these models in stock at cheaper than usual prices. Now, they seem picked over. PS. You will find the 20" HB, Varmint thumbhole (THB) model in stock in a few places. It does meet all your wants but note it has European threads on the barrel that will require a 1/2-20 to 1/2-24 adaptor. ( This model does come with a fitted compensator btw) You can get one of these for about $600 delivered last I checked. I love mine ( as a general shooter) and feel it's a heck of a deal at that price.

Last edited:
That shouldn't be hard. The CZ 457 Pro Varmint, At-One, VPC , THB and VPT can all accommodate that list. Suggest you do a weekly search at gundeals.com for all those models. That search engine will list online sources that have them in stock, and in the order of cheapest prices. Admittedly, this seems to be a bad time for inventory. Not a month back Battlehawk Armory and Dahlonega Armory had all these models in stock at cheaper than usual prices. Now, they seem picked over. PS. You will find the 20" HB, Varmint thumbhole (THB) model in stock in a few places. It does meet all your wants but note it has European threads on the barrel that will require a 1/2-20 to 1/2-24 adaptor. ( This model does come with a fitted compensator btw) You can get one of these for about $600 delivered last I checked. I love mine ( as a general shooter) and feel it's a heck of a deal at that price.
How much of a hassle is the thread adapter if I get a suppressor down the road? And these have the heavy threaded barrel, right?

How much of a hassle is the thread adapter if I get a suppressor down the road? And these have the heavy threaded barrel, right?
The thread adaptors can be had for $15-$30 depending on brand, diameter etc. They just screw on between the barrel and can. I never had the need so can't give you anything more in detail. Yes, 20" threaded with comp ( brings it to about 21.5" on mine). Maybe someone who has done it can tell you more. You'd also have the option of swapping out to a us spec 20" threaded barrel at any time if you didn't want the adaptor. ( They run about $150 but you could likely sell the old barrel for near as much.) You need to decide your own wants and priorities. The rifles are out there. BTW, LOTS of discussion on all of these models over at the RFC CZ forums.

The thread adaptors can be had for $15-$30 depending on brand, diameter etc. They just screw on between the barrel and can. I never had the need so can't give you anything more in detail. Yes, 20" threaded with comp ( brings it to about 21.5" on mine). Maybe someone who has done it can tell you more. You'd also have the option of swapping out to a us spec 20" threaded barrel at any time if you didn't want the adaptor. ( They run about $150 but you could likely sell the old barrel for near as much.) You need to decide your own wants and priorities. The rifles are out there. BTW, LOTS of discussion on all of these models over at the RFC CZ forums.
How do you like the stock and comb height on yours?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
For beginning shooting PRS matches, those're nice, but aret what's going to keep you from making hits.

In the beginning, it isn't the rifle holding you back. Promise

M
I understand this - I'm not new to shooting, just new to precision rimfire. I have a Bergara in 6.5 that I love shooting, but don't have a consistent place to stretch it's legs (I only have consistent access to 400 yards), so I figure a .22 would be a good way to challenge myself with the range I have available

I understand this - I'm not new to shooting, just new to precision rimfire. I have a Bergara in 6.5 that I love shooting, but don't have a consistent place to stretch it's legs (I only have consistent access to 400 yards), so I figure a .22 would be a good way to challenge myself with the range I have available
Aaah Same idea as the big rifle matches, just shorter ranges. I went the other way. Started small and migrated to shooting gas gun and centerfire matches too

22s are more affected by wind than the centerfire stuff you're used to.

I can tell you from personal experience that a KYL at 60yds with a 22 is tougher than you'd think.

I'm still going to stick to my original thought: get something in the 18-20" barrel range from CZ, shoot it for a bit, then stick it in a chassis, then stick whatever barrel floats your boat on it. I'm fixin to looking for a barrel for my rifle 'soon.' You may end up with a Vuduu or Rim-X before then anyways

M

Reactions: Emerson0311
Save you money and buy the Vudoo. You will eventually, so rip the bandaid off already.

For beginning shooting PRS matches, those're nice, but aret what's going to keep you from making hits.

In the beginning, it isn't the rifle holding you back. Promise

M
No, it’s the ammo.

IMO do not buy the BMR. As has been said in this thread = no products on the market.

My BIL just got one a few weeks ago, and it makes a great hunting or plinking rifle. For this game - it is not.

If you want to spend more on the rifle now another good option for glass that will work is a SWFA mil quad fixed in 10x or 12x. Do not fall to temptation and go above that power range if you decide to go that route. I have had both and they track and work well.

JMO

IMO do not buy the BMR. As has been said in this thread = no products on the market.

My BIL just got one a few weeks ago, and it makes a great hunting or plinking rifle. For this game - it is not.

If you want to spend more on the rifle now another good option for glass that will work is a SWFA mil quad fixed in 10x or 12x. Do not fall to temptation and go above that power range if you decide to go that route. I have had both and they track and work well.

JMO
My biggest issue right now is all the CZ options that are in my budget are OOS and the next step up is pretty much consuming my whole budget for just the rifle lol

My biggest issue right now is all the CZ options that are in my budget are OOS and the next step up is pretty much consuming my whole budget for just the rifle lol
what is OSS? A CZ with your stated requirements should cost $600-$700 tops. Even a VPT/VPC can be had for just over $900. Unless your looking at a Ruger RPR or Bergara BMR , it's hard to spend less on something up to the task.

So I've now found both the varmint thumbhole and provarmint in stock and I'm extremely torn between the two. The ProVarmint is 16 inch barrel and the stick resembles my Bergara (HMR pro or whatever)

Is there any benefit to the longer barrel of the thumbhole? And the bottom of the stock toward the rear on the thumbhole makes it seem like a rear bag may be more difficult

Last edited:
Traditional thumbholes suck for left hand stages. If its got a more open grip thumbhole....then it's not so much of a big deal. The cheekrests are also not ideal.
Screenshot_20230115_151520_Chrome.jpg

^good luck holding that when on a time crunch

Screenshot_20230115_151705_Chrome.jpg

^this one is much more forgiving on grip....cheek is worse.
FB_IMG_1673306362289.jpg

^This asshole runs a thumbhole magnificently....but it's a universal design. Tactical thumbhole stocks are much more forgiving as they tend to take into account of things like LH shooters or positions.

Last edited: