• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entry level precision bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor, a lefty can use. Savage vs Weatherby

TexasEric

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
This is not my only project, but I am falling in love with shooting. Time is my friend on this. I am willing to wait for a good sell and purchase used to knock down cost.

I am a nearly a bolt virgin. Only fired one once, and it was suppressed. I am left eye dominant, looking for standard righty I can comfortably fire. Mainly for resale value. I am willing to buy purely lefty design if price gets toward $1500 ish.

Rifle will be mainly for paper and steel at local ranges, my goal is to reach out to 1000 yards one day. Plus a hunt of deer or larger animal later depending on location of the hunt, later in life.
EDIT: (In all honesty, it will be 98% target shooting. This I will be a tool for learning how to shoot long range. 500 yards and beyond.)

I am looking at a few rifles for $1500ish, or much less would be nice. In 20-24 inch barrels for the weapons.

So am find myself comparing Savage rifles

I hate the look off new "tacticool" rifles, but function and performance take precedent. Function over form. Plus there is a lefty available.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/BAStealthLH

Cheaper options

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axis2xp

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...TROPHYHUNTERXP

Vs Weatherby new Vangaurd rifles

Expensive Tacticool options
http://www.weatherby.com/products/ri...r-chassis.html

Cheaper options

I like this one the best overall

http://www.weatherby.com/products/ri...synthetic.html

http://www.weatherby.com/products/ri...c-compact.html

I like all of these, but the cheaper Weatherby offerrings seem like good value. Savage has come HIGHLY recommend. I am looking for repeatable accuracy above all.
Thank you for taking the time to read all of this and give your opinions! Looking forward to hearing what you guys and gals have to say! ​​

Last edited:
Don't buy a right handed bolt gun unless you are only going to shoot it off a bench. Many who are right handed will tell you it ok or some other BS but how many armies fielded left handed bolts for general issue?

I have several left handed rifles that I use for loaning out to hunt. Wow every right handed person who has used one of my rifles has bitched to high heaven. These are the guys who will tell you to buy a right handed bolt.

For $1500 I would not pick up any Savage rifle. For that money look at the Bergara series of rifles in 6.5 creedmoor.

Or if you want to take up a "build" buy the Howa barreled action throw it in a chassis or stock and have a better rifle then any factory Savage.

I had a Savage that I completely had worked over and installed a match barrel in a XLR chassis. After a short time it starting having major ejection issues.

http://bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_hmr_hunting_and_match_rifle.php

I saw one of these for sale for under $900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Don't buy a right handed bolt gun unless you are only going to shoot it off a bench. Many who are right handed will tell you it ok or some other BS but how many armies fielded left handed bolts for general issue?

I have several left handed rifles that I use for loaning out to hunt. Wow every right handed person who has used one of my rifles has bitched to high heaven. These are the guys who will tell you to buy a right handed bolt.

The one I shot was for righty's, it seemed natural enough. Although, why should I learn unnatural movements? How hard is it to re-sell a lefty bolt gun?

Savage has 3 left handed rifles in 6.5 CM under $1400, including the Tacticool one I was intially looking at. How accurate are the Savages? Are we talk .5- 1 MOA here? Remember, I know nothing about bolts. I have to research everything. Knowledgeable advice is a godsend.

Tacticool, but more than accurate based off reviews

Better priced Savage offerings
less than $400
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/AXIS-LeftHand

Comes scoped and sighted in, but thin barrel gives up accuracy when it heats up.
Still $650 or lower
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXP

Weatherby has none. All they offer that I know of is Accumark V for $2300 ish on the site, to expensive considering this supposed to be entry level and my other build projects.

If funds were unlimited I would pick up the Tacticool on Black Friday and call it a day.

For $1500 I would not pick up any Savage rifle. For that money look at the Bergara series of rifles in 6.5 creedmoor.

Or if you want to take up a "build" buy the Howa barreled action throw it in a chassis or stock and have a better rifle then any factory Savage.

I had a Savage that I completely had worked over and installed a match barrel in a XLR chassis. After a short time it starting having major ejection issues.

http://bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_s...atch_rifle.php

I saw one of these for sale for under $900.

I will look at them now.

Anyone have an opinion of the lower priced Weatherby options in the initial post? All are guaranteed sub MOA.

You need to think of what your actually going to do with the rifle. 80% hunting and 20% target or reversed. That will be the main thing that decides what rifle you want. I personally have a heavy full gun built for target shooting. It I also drag that heavy thing around to shoot animals with. It does target shooting great but it's about 17lbs. I just know 95% of my time is on the range.

Look at the Tikka Tac A1, Ruger RPR, Bergara, Ruger RAP ( if your willing to change stock and a few other small things).

What's the budget for optics and other necessary gear? Just buying the rifle is the easy part. Then you have shooting mats, cleaning supplies, rear bags, bi pod, scope mount, rings, ammo... a lot more things then just the rifle.

ALSO if your seriously in a budget and want to shoot a lot don't discount a .223 rifle. You can shoot all day for cheap compared to a 6.5 or .308. If your hunting game though that might not work.

If your buying factory ammo that is also a consideration of what to get. Just a lot of things to think about.

Last edited:
You need to think of what your actually going to do with the rifle. 80% hunting and 20% target or reversed. That will be the main thing that decides what rifle you want. I personally have a heavy full gun built for target shooting. It I also drag that heavy thing around to shoot animals with. It does target shooting great but it's about 17lbs. I just know 95% of my time is on the range.

Look at the Tikka Tac A1, Ruger RPR, Bergara, Ruger RAP ( if your willing to change stock and a few other small things).

What's the budget for optics and other necessary gear? Just buying the rifle is the easy part. Then you have shooting mats, cleaning supplies, rear bags, bi pod, scope mount, rings, ammo... a lot more things then just the rifle.

ALSO if your seriously in a budget and want to shoot a lot don't discount a .223 rifle. You can shoot all day for cheap compared to a 6.5 or .308. If your hunting game though that might not work.

If your buying factory ammo that is also a consideration of what to get. Just a lot of things to think about.

These are all good questions. I am going clarify my thought process, and actual situation for you. I have an Ar in 308, setup to shoot well for 0-600 yards. Glass is a good 1-8x. I already have a mat, great spotting scope, and log book. Truthfully proper glass for longer distances, and free time is what I am lacking now. I have an 8 week old and 3 year old girls at home. The wife has me on a leash......for now. I will patiently plan my semi auto builds, and take a class here and there to grow and maintain my proficiency. While my girls grow, time is my friend. Much can be achieved with time and moderate effort.

The bolt gun is a strong want, but not a need. I will be 98% target shooting, I want it to be sub MOA , closer to .5 with good ammo. I am fairly sure I will need that at longer distances. I am looking for another quality rifle, that can easily accomplish my goals along as I do my part.

My general rule is to spend about the same on glass as I do the rifle. I am sure there is some quality glass at the $900-$1200 price range. Cleaning supplies and bags aren't much cost, so I don't worry about that as much. I also have Harris bi-pod not in use now, so that is handled as well. Ammo is kind of a problem, as I don't/can't reload. Factory ammo is what I use. I am federal gold medal match man, that is about all I shoot. I tried another cheaper company once, within 3 fired rounds I regretted it. The 6.5 CM bolt will be fed quality factory ammo for the duration of it's life with me. I am already used to paying for fgmm 308, decent 6.5 ammo is not much of a cost jump.

I will be looking at all the rifles suggested and editing my intial post a bit. Thanks for your time, and for making sure I had properly thought out what I am getting into. Feel free to send more rifle info and advice my way. I am looking forward to it

The one I shot was for righty's, it seemed natural enough. Although, why should I learn unnatural movements? How hard is it to re-sell a lefty bolt gun?

Savage has 3 left handed rifles in 6.5 CM under $1400, including the Tacticool one I was intially looking at. How accurate are the Savages? Are we talk .5- 1 MOA here? Remember, I know nothing about bolts. I have to research everything. Knowledgeable advice is a godsend.

Tacticool, but more than accurate based off reviews

Better priced Savage offerings
less than $400
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/AXIS-LeftHand

Comes scoped and sighted in, but thin barrel gives up accuracy when it heats up.
Still $650 or lower
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXP

Weatherby has none. All they offer that I know of is Accumark V for $2300 ish on the site, to expensive considering this supposed to be entry level and my other build projects.

If funds were unlimited I would pick up the Tacticool on Black Friday and call it a day.

Reselling truly depends on what you buy. I have had so many Remington 700's over the years it is almost funny. They sell but they don't go as fast as right bolts do. I do think left bolts hold value better. Now if you need to sell it right mow then they go for less.

I am looking for something similar for my son, who shoots left handed. We looked at the Savage Stealth, but the chassis seemed fragile. You could squeeze the fore end and see it move. This was not reassuring. I have a Tikka CTR and my son shoots it as well. He loves the Tikka so we are looking at getting a Tikka T3X Hunter LH in 7mm-08 or 260 Rem, and will then plan on getting an aftermarket stock or chassis immediately, and switching over to a Crreedmoor at a later date. We have also looked at a Tikka Sporter LH in 260 Rem, but decided against it because it uses the normal magazines instead of the CTR/TRG magazines.

Tikka makes a left handed CTR, but it is not being shipped to the US. Hopefully Beretta brings it over soon.

Ok since you already have most of the stuff you need and seem like you are willing to pay the money for a quality rifle (a lot of people say the want to shoot long range but they really don't want to when they see the cost) I suggest you spend the time and really pick up any of the Varmint/Heavy profile barreled guns in 6.5 creedmoor. I bet all of them will shoot .5 groups with factory hornady ammo.

If you like the chassis system guns the Ruger RPR is hard to beat they shoot very well and are easily upgradeable. You can change barrels, triggers, hand guards yourself with simple tool. I believe you can do the same with the Ruger RAP. Magpul is coming out with a hunter stock for the RAP soon and will be a budget upgrade with a bottom metal that accepts AICS mags. I think Remington has finally started making a SPS in 6.5 creedmoor as well.

Ruger
Remington
Howa
Bargera
Tikka

Here is a "build" option:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...blue-6-5-creedmoor-6-threaded-prod103531.aspx

http://atonegunstocks.com/

figure out a bottom metal and send it to someone to install pillars and bed the action.

I should say I have never personally used a Howa action or have any idea what support they have but they are recommended highly.

If you dont like the hardware on the savages (or anything for that matter) you could just get a base model 12FV and then choose whatever stock you want. Cabelas has a 12FV for 370 right now. Throw that in an element for 635 and youre at 1005 for a great shooting rifle. Swap the trigger to a timney for 100 bucks if you feel like it.

You can then easily upgrade the barrel yourself too if you want an even better shooting rifle but I doubt you would be unsatisfied with the accuracy aspect of the savage.

Sure there are people who will say that you have problems with extraction etc but then again you arent mortgaging your future on the thing and they can be remedied well enough with a tiny ball bearing swap.

Most importantly you can do this and get a left handed rifle unlike many of the suggestions here.

The Weatherby vanguard is just a rebranded Howa 1500 so anything for the Howa will fit the vanguard if you want to do the same sort of thing on that route.

Last edited:
I'm left eye dominant but shoot mostly right handed because I grew up shooting rifles owned by friends and both of my sons are right handed. That said, I don't recommend that you buy a right handed bolt gun just for resale value. You're likely to spend way more on ammo, transport to the range, etc., so get what you want and the $ difference won't matter in the big picture.

The advice to look at a Tikka or Bargera is solid. However, I know quite a few happy Savage and Weatherby owners and just a few that got lemons. It's a crap shoot when you try to buy the lower cost options. If .5 MOA is really a target, I'd lean towards the Tikka. Regardless, realize that as you stretch out, your wind-reading skills will probably be the limiting factor.

Last I checked, Howa didn't make a left hand rifle.

I'd look at Tikka for a LH rifle. Having been down the Savage LH rabbit hole, I wouldn't go that route again. You could also buy a LH 700, and rebarrel it with a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, and a stock for under $1500.

My Savage extraction issues happened during a 4 days rifle class. Let me tell you being on the line with a mag fed gun that you had to single load was embarrassing. I also had up "upgraded" extraction kit that included the ball bearing, spring, and ejector.

The system just plain sucks on that rifle. I know tons of people who don't have a problem but I did. A brand new action with less then 200 rounds fired and already having problems. Put the original kit back in and it last about 100 more. All factory ammo as well.

My Savage extraction issues happened during a 4 days rifle class. Let me tell you being on the line with a mag fed gun that you had to single load was embarrassing. I also had up "upgraded" extraction kit that included the ball bearing, spring, and ejector.

The system just plain sucks on that rifle. I know tons of people who don't have a problem but I did. A brand new action with less then 200 rounds fired and already having problems. Put the original kit back in and it last about 100 more. All factory ammo as well.

Same here, I ordered the bolt parts "upgrade" with the new extractor, extractor ball, ejector, and spring. Still have ejection issues. The extractor looks like they just modified a factory one.

I did just the ball bearing swap in all three of my Savages. Solved my extraction issues. They shoot awesome, feed and extract ... well....acceptably anyway for my current use. I wish Tikka would send a left bolt in their new chassis rifle to the US. I played with a right bolt one in Turners the other day..... bolt is super smoooooooth.

(OP - If I could go back in time with knowledge I have now, I would have originally gone with Tikka and built up or a semi-custom action and the appropriate barrel nut system - - to get awesome shooting and awesome feed extraction)

Note: bergaras not lefty.

Really wish beretta would import the t3x varmint stainless in lefty. Australia can get them but not the US.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Note: bergaras not lefty.

Really wish beretta would import the t3x varmint stainless in lefty. Australia can get them but not the US.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. It truely is appreciated. I think I am definitely going to buy a lefty rifle in 6.5 CM. Just went to gunbroker and searched left handed bolt rifles in 6.5 CM. Choices seem pretty limited.

I know the building info is probably the best route. Unfortunately I am more than slightly inexperienced with bolts guns, so buying one just to put on a new stock or barrel is a bit unappealing. I really like the Tikkas, but no lefties for target shooting in the US. Savage has the advantage so far. Maybe something will change by the time I am done with the semi auto builds or Black Friday.

Thanks again for all the good advice and opinions! Please keep it coming!