• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Entry stock options

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
Hey, looking to upgrade my Remington 700 5R from its magpul Hunter stock to something of higher quality with a better bedding. I’m new to long range shooting and am wanting a stock that is more centered toward bench rest shooting. Really not wanting to spend 1k on a new stock. What are some options out there? How are McMillan stocks? They look good and the price is right but they say they are pillar bedded. Price seems too good to be true too. Lemme know what are your guys favorite stocks that aren’t outrageously priced. I’m not a competition shooter and do this purely for the fun and the joys of learning about long range shooting. Thanks

McMillan are some of the best available along w Manners as far as more conventional stocks go.

Might check out KRG Bravo and MDT Oryx as entry level chassis options: Rigid, rugged, bedding block, adjustable.

Reactions: Bridges90
Gotta be a stock or might you like a chassis? Lot's of chassis options for Remington 700 series - I'm a whore for MDT Chassis myself.

Stocks are awesome if that's what one prefers but a chassis allows one to swap out butt stocks, rails, and all kinds of stuff without modification, drilling holes and balancing the rifle with a chassis just means bolting on weight kits.

VooDoo

The mcmillans are not pillar bedded. You can order them with pillars, and either bed it yourself, or have someone do it, which of course adds cost.

Gotta be a stock or might you like a chassis? Lot's of chassis options for Remington 700 series - I'm a whore for MDT Chassis myself.

Stocks are awesome if that's what one prefers but a chassis allows one to swap out butt stocks, rails, and all kinds of stuff without modification, drilling holes and balancing the rifle with a chassis just means bolting on weight kits.

VooDoo
I was really looking at the MDT Lss XL gen 2 with the fixed stock. With the chassis + their fixed buttstock the price is around 875 which I’m sure for some isn’t a lot but it’s a little more than I’m wanting to throw out.

You do not have to bed a chassis, and they come with the detachable mag bottom metal... so make sure to factor that into your decision.

I'm a big fan of Manners and their mini-chassis... but that might be out of your price range... to me they are the right balance of chassis feature, but with a feel like a traditional stock.

Whatever you do, get something you really want, even if you have to wait and save up... Otherwise you'll end up spending more when you finally buy what you want!

I really like my KRG Bravo a lot. It's not terribly expensive but has great ergonomics and the ability to build-as-you-go.

The Grayboe Renegade, which is modeled after the McMillan A5, and Ridgeback are also quite nice and can both be had for not a ton of cash. I believe they are both pillar bedded from the factory. The Ridgeback has MLok slots in the forend if you want to install add-ons like ARCA rails and such.

I really like my KRG Bravo a lot. It's not terribly expensive but has great ergonomics and the ability to build-as-you-go.

The Grayboe Renegade, which is modeled after the McMillan A5, and Ridgeback are also quite nice and can both be had for not a ton of cash. I believe they are both pillar bedded from the factory. The Ridgeback has MLok slots in the forend if you want to install add-ons like ARCA rails and such.
The grayboe stocks have definitely piqued my interest

The mcmillans are not pillar bedded. You can order them with pillars, and either bed it yourself, or have someone do it, which of course adds cost.
Or just not bed it.

I have a Z1 and Z10 (with pillars) and they shoot just fine without any bedding. Just hawkins m5 and torque on the action screws

Or just not bed it.

I have a Z1 and Z10 (with pillars) and they shoot just fine without any bedding. Just hawkins m5 and torque on the action screws
Seems like most long range aficionados gravitate toward bedding. I’ve always heard full bedding is better than pillar and that’s why I was hesitant toward the McMillan. In reality for what I’m doing which is casual shooting, will it make a difference? Probably not.

Seems like most long range aficionados gravitate toward bedding. I’ve always heard full bedding is better than pillar and that’s why I was hesitant toward the McMillan. In reality for what I’m doing which is casual shooting, will it make a difference? Probably not.
Bedding can help. Or do nothing.

I switch actions and stocks enough I wouldn't bed anything but a dedicated hunting gun and even then idk

Reactions: Bridges90