• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Envision MARS-L Announced - Wilcox RAPTAR Killer?

NGCSUGrad09

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2007
North East GA
I'm genuinely looking forward to these.

Originally posted here:

Envision Technology Introduces the Miniature Advanced Rangefinder System – Light (MARS-L)​

Envision Technology, LLC, manufacturers of state-of-the-art EO/IR technologies for the military, law enforcement and commercial markets, has introduced the newest addition to the Envision product portfolio, the Miniature Advanced Rangefinder System – Light (MARS-L).
img_9567.jpg

MARS-L is a weapon-mounted laser rangefinder (LRF) which is purpose-built for the operational end user, with a heavy focus on Size, Weight and Power (SWaP) when compared to existing systems. The MARS-L achieves this while maintaining required capability attributes, such as a long-range eye safe (1550nm) LRF, visible pointer, on- board ballistic computer (Applied Ballistics), and a large OLED display to allow the user to navigate the simple and intuitive user interface.
img_9566.jpg

The compact and lightweight design (< 7 ounces, which is unmatched in the industry), is feature-rich and minimizes impact on the host weapon system and operator load. MARS-L is capable of successfully ranging a man-sized target out to 1,500 meters and offers the user additional rangefinding modes for specific mission scenarios. The integrated Bluetooth module allows the user to interface with external devices such as a Kestrel weather meter and/or external displays.
“As an American manufacturer, and small business, we take pride in delivering innovative and top-quality products to meet the needs of our war fighters,” stated Envision President, Mark Belanger. “We are proud to provide these solutions to the men and women who continue to put themselves in harm’s way to protect our freedoms.”
Come see it in person during SHOT Show 2022 at the Maxim Defense Booth # 11668
For more information about Envision Technology please visit: www.envision-tek.com.
The MARS-L is available by contacting
[email protected].

Will most likely be priced higher than the raptar?

I've used one and was really impressed. Super small and range performance exceeded my expectations. On a slight hazy day was consistently hitting steel ipsc over 2k and grassy mountain sides well over 3k. Has some nice features too, but I'm not sure what and what not I can say yet.

I've used one and was really impressed. Super small and range performance exceeded my expectations. On a slight hazy day was consistently hitting steel ipsc over 2k and grassy mountain sides well over 3k. Has some nice features too, but I'm not sure what and what not I can say yet.

Can you comment on the size of the characters in the display? For those of us with aging eye's, the display is just as an important feature as the laser/ranging performance.

The RAPTAR (non-AB Ballistics model) has an easy to read display. The RAPTAR w/Ballistics has two lines of characters in the same space, but I haven't been behind one. Funny thing is, the new MRF-Xe, all the pictures or drawings out in the public show the display blank. I got a chance to get behind the original Wilcox MRF prototype, but that was about three years ago before it evolved into what it is today.

Last edited:
To price this the same or a bit more than it’s big competitor (Raptar), it has to really exceed to make it the better option. Question is… does it?

I use a non-AB Raptar and a small Dope card on the side of my rifle. It takes half a second to see the range and look at my Dope card. I keep asking myself if the additional features are worth such a premium and so far I can’t say they are for my use.

To price this the same or a bit more than it’s big competitor (Raptar), it has to really exceed to make it the better option. Question is… does it?

I use a non-AB Raptar and a small Dope card on the side of my rifle. It takes half a second to see the range and look at my Dope card. I keep asking myself if the additional features are worth such a premium and so far I can’t say they are for my use.
Quick and dirty .... Yes, it is much better than the raptar in every aspect(ranging distance, speed of range to solution time, size, weight, etc...). I'll be using a MRF for the next few weeks and I'll be very surprised if I like it better than the MARS-L, but we'll see.

Can you comment on the size of the characters in the display? For those of us with aging eye's, the display is just as an important feature as the laser/ranging performance.

The RAPTAR (non-AB Ballistics model) has an easy to read display. The RAPTAR w/Ballistics has two lines of characters in the same space, but I haven't been behind one. Funny thing is, the new MRF-Xe, all the pictures or drawings out in the public show the display blank. I got a chance to get behind the original Wilcox MRF prototype, but that was about three years ago before it evolved into what it is today.
I'll be using a MRF for the next few weeks for the first time. I'll let you know. My eyes aren't the greatest anymore either, but I don't recall any problems reading the display on the MARS. Honestly, all I can remember is thinking how impressed I was with it. We did quite a bit of shooting for a number of days. At the end of each day we would all check lrf/scope zero/alignment. We had most of the weapons mounted LRF offerings among us(except the MRF). The MARS would only be off by .1 or less while all the others would be .3-.5 or worse in some cases. I assume some of that has to do with the extreme light weight of the MARS internal chassis.
Anyhow, I really hope the MRF is just as good, but some guys I really respect chose the MARS over all the other offerings as their wlrf for their work guns. That being said, I'll be as non bias as my peanut brain allows when I report back.

Y’all are gonna love the MARS. As long as the TracIR support works, it’ll definitely be better than the MRF due to the inclusion of frickin’ layzur beems.

Any more updates/insight on these? Seriously considering grabbing one but still not a ton of information out there on them and a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the first production run.

Reactions: Alpine 338
Y’all are gonna love the MARS. As long as the TracIR support works, it’ll definitely be better than the MRF due to the inclusion of frickin’ layzur beems.
It has tracir ?

Full AB ? One of the other posts questions enviro sensor inclusion

Thanks, I know there is a lot of tech in these things, I just wish they weren't so dang expensive. I feel like someone could still make a solid performing U.S. made unit in a compact size in the $4-5k range. Maybe I am way off, idk.
I've thought of mounting a Sig Sauer 2400ABS range finder to the top of my scope using an adjustable mount, then linking it to a Kestrel 5700 Elite via bluetooth mounted to the side of the rifle so that I can see the screen without lifting my head. Then make some kind of hydraulic actuating button that goes from next to my trigger to the range finder so that I don't have to take my hand of the rifle to range the target.

... but then my 5min dream went up in smoke when I realize that none of these electronics are recoil rated. So it will probably only last a couple of shots before something expensive stop working.

I guess that is why these rifle mounted ballistic solvers are so expensive, they must be very tough to handle a lot of abuse.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Envision MARS-L production starts this summer, per email with their SR business director as of two weeks ago. I am working on bringing them to the hide as I am sure a lot of other dealers are by now... Standby.
Regards
Felipe Bastos
ELITEUAS
Is there another offering in the works besides the Mars L?

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I’m very interested in both new options. I’d like to upgrade from my Raptar to one of them but I’d like to see each, if possible, in action before making the jump.

Envision MARS-L production starts this summer, per email with their SR business director as of two weeks ago. I am working on bringing them to the hide as I am sure a lot of other dealers are by now... Standby.
Regards
Felipe Bastos
ELITEUAS

So is this the unit you were hinting towards in that Wilcox vs Radius thread? 🤔

Can’t just be me that finds it hard to believe that we can’t get an updated “radius priced” LRF to the market.

So is this the unit you were hinting towards in that Wilcox vs Radius thread? 🤔

Can’t just be me that finds it hard to believe that we can’t get an updated “radius priced” LRF to the market.

Whoever does that, wins. Period.

$7k+ weapon mounted LRF's are a fucking joke. Even more so without a full power laser/illum.

While the Radius wasn't perfect, it was also $300 at one point. Compare that to this 5k,6k,7k shit and let that sink in.

Whoever does that, wins. Period.

$7k+ weapon mounted LRF's are a fucking joke. Even more so without a full power laser/illum.

While the Radius wasn't perfect, it was also $300 at one point. Compare that to this 5k,6k,7k shit and let that sink in.

Exactly I thought there was talk of a 2k unit with Bluetooth to kestrel coming this year

Reactions: stefan73
I’ve always said that if Sig and Vortex can fit all that tech inside a pair of binos, why not a box the size of a Raptar without the lenses? And I always get the response “there’s no market for it”. 🤷‍♂️

@Eliteuas

Felipe, can you confirm whether the MARS has enviro sensors in it? Seems like no one knows and I can't find any intel.

Guns America article says yes…

Soldier Systems papers doesn’t say either way…

Not sure what to think from that Guns America article. Doesn't say it has a humidity sensor, but does claim the others. Also doesn't seem like it ranges any better than the raptar. Seems like a raptar alternative but not necessarily something an existing raptar owner needs as an upgrade.

I’ve heard of a $2k ish unit as well but I think getting a new supplier of parts has been a challenge.

Vortex should pull the LRF module out of their optics bundle that just won an army contract and sell that piece. If they want a budget version replace the 1550 laser with something cheaper

Reactions: stefan73
not that I am aware of. Sorry if my answer in the other thread hinted at such, wasn't going to go public/ entertain the fact that we are looking at carrying these... and potentially doing a group buy for SH. I don't like speaking on things until they are concrete.
Let us know when it is knowable!

• Haha
Reactions: mewillis
Can anyone comment on size of display on the new MARS-L unit, an MRF-Xe?

Is it readable like the original RAPTAR?

Let us know when it is knowable!
"As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know,"

Reactions: camocorvette