• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Eotech 552 battery leak help!!!!

m1garand30064

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I took my AR-15 out today for some 4th of july fun and I noticed my sight did not turn on. Upon further investigation I noticed a battery had corroded and leaked inside the sight!!! I cleaned it out the best I could and replaced the batteries but the sight still does not turn on.

Am I screwed?!?!? Would Eotech cover something like this under warranty? Has anyone else had experience with this? Thanks!!!

Re: Eotech 552 battery leak help!!!!

well Eotech has had issues with the 553. The batterey compartment does not always hold up to the shock and the terminals come loose. I would call them and explain your issue they should help you out.

The battery manufacturer may cover it. They replaced a couple of Maglites when the batteries leaked inside.

Save the batteries and write a letter to them and Eotech.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well Eotech has had issues with the 553. The batterey compartment does not always hold up to the shock and the terminals come loose. I would call them and explain your issue they should help you out. </div></div>

All Eotechs have battery box issues. Its not the compartment, its a design flaw. With AA batteries inside, recoil causes the batteries to function as pistons bouncing back and forth wearing out the terminal springs and subjecting the batteries themselves to wear. The original Eotech was designed to function with N cell batteries which are not heavy enough to cause damage to the batteries and springs. When they upped the size to incorporate AA batteries they did not forsee this and modify the design, therefore you have the problems that we commonly see with Eotechs today after long term use. The newer Eotech XPS has a horizontally oriented battery box to fix this issue.

Since you are stuck with an old model, I would recommend you send it back to Eotech for warranty repair, they are pretty good about it as long as it is within warranty (2 years). Most people recommend lithium batteries as this will fix the leakage issue, but you will still have the spring wear issue. Another problem with lithium batteries in an Eotech is that it will not give you the flashing reticle warning when your batteries are low, for some odd reason that only works with alkalines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well Eotech has had issues with the 553. The batterey compartment does not always hold up to the shock and the terminals come loose. I would call them and explain your issue they should help you out. </div></div>

All Eotechs have battery box issues. Its not the compartment, its a design flaw. With AA batteries inside, recoil causes the batteries to function as pistons bouncing back and forth wearing out the terminal springs and subjecting the batteries themselves to wear. The original Eotech was designed to function with N cell batteries which are not heavy enough to cause damage to the batteries and springs. When they upped the size to incorporate AA batteries they did not forsee this and modify the design, therefore you have the problems that we commonly see with Eotechs today after long term use. The newer Eotech XPS has a horizontally oriented battery box to fix this issue.

Since you are stuck with an old model, I would recommend you send it back to Eotech for warranty repair, they are pretty good about it as long as it is within warranty (2 years). Most people recommend lithium batteries as this will fix the leakage issue, but you will still have the spring wear issue. Another problem with lithium batteries in an Eotech is that it will not give you the flashing reticle warning when your batteries are low, for some odd reason that only works with alkalines. </div></div>

Excellent post. Thank you very much for that information. I was using alkaline batteries as you stated. I will be sure to use the lithium next time. I am really glad to hear that Eotech should fix it under warranty. I bought it about a year and a half ago so I should still be ok.

In the mean time I am going to go ahead and buy some troy industries flip up front and rear sights. I'm thinking of getting the ones with the tritium posts. If I have learned anything from this it is that you can never rely on a highly complicated sight. Redundancy and simplicity are key.

So I have an update. I cleaned the terminals with rubbing alcohol, swabbed out the battery compartment, took out and cleaned the rubber stoppers with rubbing alcohol, then allowed everything to sit out and open for an hour so the alcohol could evaporate. I just put everything back together and it seems to be working again. The sight has a larger halo than usual, no matter what brightness setting I put it on. I am just glad it is working again.

Has anyone noticed the a larger halo around their reticle like this? Is there anything I can do to correct this? Thanks again for everyone's help!

Make sure your lens is clean.

A dirty lens may cause a more blurry than normal reflection.

Return it to EO Tech. Their good people.