• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eotech 552 xr 308

herbie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
I recently purchased a 552 xr308 for my m1a. The reticle is set up with different dots for different ranges, out to 1.2 clicks. Now, normally I zero a holo sight by measuring the distance between the center of the optic to the center of the barrel. I mark to different points on the target, one over the other at exactly that distance. I aim at the top one and make sure my rifle hits the bottom one. This way I don't have to worry about intersection or rise and fall, just aim at the head and the bullet will drop. This works for 223 out to 300 meters, maybe more.

I'm fairly certain the 552 is not meant to be zeroed like this. I'm under the impression that the bullets rise and fall will be different depending on what distance you zero at, so how would the predesignated ranges on the scope even work? I'm a little confused. Anyone have any experience with these?

Re: Eotech 552 xr 308

I am sure the instructions have suggestions for zero points.
My 557 did.

It's a BDC reticle.
The absolute best thing to do is to zero it where you want it and shoot it, using the different holdovers........to get real data on what the dots are doing to your POA. This way you are not "hoping" that your dope is a near match to the reticle design, you are proving and documenting it.

Just my opinion.

There are some problems with BDC EOTech's, kinda like trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Sure, the concept can work, but why not get something that just works better, like an ACOG, or BDC irons.

I had a bad time trying to resolve the dots on my 557, even with the 3X magnifier. They would fade, blur, double, and sometimes just look like a solid line. I dumped mine and went with a USO 1.5-6.....pure bliss.

Hmmm,
Interesting points. The instructions only say that if you are using it for short range zero at fifty meters. Your true though, That is probably what I will do, document everything.