• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision EOTECH and PVS 14

Proarc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
North FL
I have a non night vision Eotech. With the reticle turned down to the lowest brightness you can not see it with your naked eye.
Can I safely run this unit in line with a PVS 14 and not damage the 14?

Thanks

I have a non night vision Eotech. With the reticle turned down to the lowest brightness you can not see it with your naked eye.
Can I safely run this unit in line with a PVS 14 and not damage the 14?

Thanks

Ncorry is correct. Do not run this with your PVS-14. You can and will burn a spot on your tube. Just not worth the chance.

Vic

Thanks alot Ncorry and Vic. Filter on order.

Vic, never said thanks on the PVS 4, but it turned out to be better than I though it would. Always a nice surprise.

For my use the lack of halo really helps. Great call

Greg

Another option is to run the PVS 14 head-mounted on your non-shooting eye rather than weapons-mounted. When you shoulder the rifle your vision will converge and you'll see your target with the NV-assited eye with the reticle imposed on it. Just another way of getting there and it keeps you from having to constantly shoulder the rifle to use your NV.

Curious.

Does the use of the filter come at a "cost"?

In other words, does it degrade the PVS-14 image while filtering the EOTECH?

Some have reported a reduction of light amplification of around 5%. I have set in a hay field for about 2 hours screwing the IR filters on and off of 2 14s and I could tell no difference in screen image or light gathering and amplification whatsoever. Even if it cost 10% in amplification, I would still never take the filters off- hell, I never run full gain anyway. I rarely operate (aka chase piggies) in a mine shaft or cave. I look at it as cheap insurance for the 14s, and it lets me use a regular 5mW red visible laser or non-NV red dot with them. With the filter on, a 5mW red laser is much more dim (ZERO bloom) than a .7mW IR laser.

Another benefit of the filters is "bloom reduction" for ir aiming lasers. This is what lead me in the direction first. Adding a filter knocks the bloom right out giving you a smaller more precise beam. This works both for my rifle mounted aiming laser and my m1911 grip ir laser.
So multiple benefits from these filters. Putting it on the PVS-14 means I don't have to have a separate filter on every ir laser.

Three benefits on the PVS-14 mounted filter:

01 - Physical protection of front lens
02 - Bright light protection of front lens (like non-NV EoTech scenario)
03 - Bloom reduction of IR aiming lasers

Last edited:
I have two 14s and use the lt eye helmet mount with DBAL for aiming most of the time

Here I tried to make a light weight, quiet, easy shooting gun. Shooting mainly off the front porch at steel plates I have set out around my property.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Nice setup! I recognize that PVS-14 with the magnifier behind the EoTech ... mine looks very similar ... except .. I try to mount the PVS-14+Mag closer to the EoTech. Do you mount farther away for purposes of more optimal stock cheek/weld or because you've found having a large gap between EoTech and Magnifier works better than otherwise?

I'm trying to mount the Magnifier very close to the EoTech. This does mean I need to "crawl up" the rail ... even beyond the charging handle on one upper.

Last edited:
An IR laser co witnessed with the sight seems like a simpler option. Not to mention you're not stuck walking around with your rifle in your shoulder just so you can see at night. A lot of Marines thought it was the coolest thing ever to walk around with their PVS 14 mounted with their ACOG/RCO a few years ago, but they'd be the first one tripping over their own feet at night trying to look through the stupid thing while walking. If you're determined to use the optic this way it'll still work, but I hope you see well in the dark or have a way to quickly mount/dismount the optic for walking around. For stationary, long term observation it's a viable option.
The second reason I would recommend using a laser instead is so that you can have your 14 mounted on your non-dominant side with your dominant eye unaffected by the 14 and remaining free to use your eotech in case your 14 goes down. Just my $0.02 brother.

An IR laser co witnessed with the sight seems like a simpler option. Not to mention you're not stuck walking around with your rifle in your shoulder just so you can see at night. A lot of Marines thought it was the coolest thing ever to walk around with their PVS 14 mounted with their ACOG/RCO a few years ago, but they'd be the first one tripping over their own feet at night trying to look through the stupid thing while walking. If you're determined to use the optic this way it'll still work, but I hope you see well in the dark or have a way to quickly mount/dismount the optic for walking around. For stationary, long term observation it's a viable option.
The second reason I would recommend using a laser instead is so that you can have your 14 mounted on your non-dominant side with your dominant eye unaffected by the 14 and remaining free to use your eotech in case your 14 goes down. Just my $0.02 brother.

Agree 100 percent- I use a 14 to nav with and shoot with a laser.
This set up was a easy, light way to shoot sitting on my porch, Hollywood quite. shooting 50-100 rounds in an evening out to 150 yds with a 22 is better than any tv show i could watch. I had the Eotech to far forward to try to clear the big lens cap. Thanks to advice from here and some folded money I bought some filters and a NV eotech.
I was not a fan of mounting a 14 to the weapon, but for the price of a mount it was worth having another NV solution. Also this way I could use my thermal scanner to find critters than transition to the gun.
So far I have learned that NV has an expensive learning curve! And black painted targets are better than white

It sure is fun ain't it? Have fun and shoot some squirrels for me. I hate the suckers. One of em dropped a green pine cone on my head when I was a kid and I've been out for revenge ever since!