Night Vision EOTECH CLIP ON THERMALS ( Full details)

Conqueror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Chapel Hill, NC
Yeah, it’s unfortunate that Andres marketed it that way to some degree. I still like the unit, it is very solid at hog hunting ranges and can take way more mag than an RH25 or Voodoo despite being only a hair larger. But it’s not for hunting enemy soldiers at 600yds.

Conqueror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Chapel Hill, NC
Yeah the ELR smokes it in image quality and the Tig honestly isn’t a slouch in that department with a 640 12um 8° FLIR core.

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
I know I’m not supposed to jump the gap but it is what it is.
24AB3279-AAAC-4952-BCD4-0034C26CAFB2.jpeg

Shit, thought this was the c35 thread.

Last edited:

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
In the midwest, there are not as many places to shoot yotes past a few hundred yards. This makes me lean more towards the LR vs the ELR unit. I would want it to work with my Mk5 5-25 and my Vudu 1-10x. Would the LR fit this role?

Reactions: Eliteuas

Eliteuas

www.eliteuas.us
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Grantville, PA.
www.eliteuas.us
In the midwest, there are not as many places to shoot yotes past a few hundred yards. This makes me lean more towards the LR vs the ELR unit. I would want it to work with my Mk5 5-25 and my Vudu 1-10x. Would the LR fit this role?
Yes. I have a customer that has both that just got an ELR from me that can contact you if you’d like, he’s going to unload his LR at a great discount.

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Yes. I have a customer that has both that just got an ELR from me that can contact you if you’d like, he’s going to unload his LR at a great discount.
My bonus doesn't hit for a couple more months yet. Poor people problems.

Reactions: Eliteuas

Ksracer

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
You'll loose a lot of FOV with a low end of 5x, but it should work fine. I'd bet the LR is capable of 400+ also.

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
You'll loose a lot of FOV with a low end of 5x, but it should work fine. I'd bet the LR is capable of 400+ also.
I would use the 1-10x for the shorter range stuff on a 14.5 5.56 gun and longer range with the 6.5cm. I was thinking the 5x would be a little high for base mag, but if the yotes are further out, I was thinking the FOV isn't as big of an issue?

Ksracer

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I would use the 1-10x for the shorter range stuff on a 14.5 5.56 gun and longer range with the 6.5cm. I was thinking the 5x would be a little high for base mag, but if the yotes are further out, I was thinking the FOV isn't as big of an issue?

More FOV can be handy for scanning the terrain for targets. Not as important if you'll be scanning with a handheld monocular or something but if the optic is your main scanner, a constricted FOV can be difficult to use.
Even in open ground with 4 people scanning we end up with coyotes on top of us wondering where the hell they came from.

You'll be fine if you're scanning with a monocular, but I wouldn't want to start a stand with 5x on the bottom end as my only option. 3x is starting to cut into the FOV on the ELR, and it's already narrow to begin with. It'll work, but I bet you don't see some coyotes until they're running away from you.

Either way, I'm sure you'll love an LR. I almost bought one instead of the ELR because of the extra FOV.

Reactions: BurtG

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Even in open ground with 4 people scanning we end up with coyotes on top of us wondering where the hell they came from.

You'll be fine if you're scanning with a monocular, but I wouldn't want to start a stand with 5x on the bottom end as my only option. 3x is starting to cut into the FOV on the ELR, and it's already narrow to begin with. It'll work, but I bet you don't see some coyotes until they're running away from you.

Either way, I'm sure you'll love an LR. I almost bought one instead of the ELR because of the extra FOV.
I have dual tube NVG's so the thermal wouldn't be my only means of seeing in the dark. I am sure the 1-10x would be used more frequently since the longer distance shots are less available in my immediate area.

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    If you are looking for a field carry case for the ELR or LR, the Jelly Roll from Hazard 4 seems to work pretty well. Fits the unit with spare batteries and the light shroud. The slip on lens cap for the ELR to replace the factory disaster should be available sometime next week from Strictly Offensive Kit. Works with the ARD installed as well, as opposed to the factory part.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

Burdy

Private
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 10, 2013

Its 4x on my 1-10.

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jan 31, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    strictlyoffensivekit.com
    If you are looking for a field carry case for the ELR or LR, the Jelly Roll from Hazard 4 seems to work pretty well. Fits the unit with spare batteries and the light shroud. The slip on lens cap for the ELR to replace the factory disaster should be available sometime next week from Strictly Offensive Kit. Works with the ARD installed as well, as opposed to the factory part.

View attachment 8002928
    View attachment 8002929

Thanks for posting this Cory. All of our ELR customers will receive one with each unit purchased. Many of you will be getting them either next week or week after along with hardcase and ARD.

cantankerous

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 10, 2021
    Midwest
    I have dual tube NVG's so the thermal wouldn't be my only means of seeing in the dark. I am sure the 1-10x would be used more frequently since the longer distance shots are less available in my immediate area.
    Trying to find coyotes on the move with a rifle and clip on just sucks.

I ended up buying a flir Breach after having a close call with a skunk, and now I see a lot more animals using the head mounted thermal than I used to with just the clip on.

ifly4vamerica

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2019
    Don't mean to hijack but @stefan73 here are the PVS 30 pics. Sorry it took so long and the quality isn't great, I will redo them with the triggercam sometime next week. That house is at 400m first pic is no illuminator, we had partly cloudy skies and no moon. Second is raptar s illuminator on low last is the raptar s on high. I have also attached the specs for the tube I got. Jay did a great job, I would recommend him 100%.
    PVS30 (1).jpg
    PVS30 (3).jpg
    PVS30 (4).jpg
    PVS30 Tube Specs.jpg

robozebra

Doc
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2007
    Oklahoma City OK
    Tough-X resin on an Elegoo Saturn. They are a PITA to print, but they do work well and the material is super durable.
    Can’t wait to replace the disaster covers on the LR and ELR. One of the straps broke on the LR. EOTech customer service was less than helpful. “A replacement part will be available to purchase at some point in the future” was the response I received. It‘s a brand new unit! So much for a 10 year warranty. I messaged back informing them how poor CS it was to suggest someone buy a replacement for a faulty part and I was hoping there’d be an aftermarket solution soon. Glad to see it is in production. Put me down for 2!!

I purchased 2 of the Jelly Roll cases. Thanks for the heads up there!

upSLIDEdown

Private
    Minuteman
    May 12, 2014
    Don't mean to hijack but @stefan73 here are the PVS 30 pics. Sorry it took so long and the quality isn't great, I will redo them with the triggercam sometime next week. That house is at 400m first pic is no illuminator, we had partly cloudy skies and no moon. Second is raptar s illuminator on low last is the raptar s on high. I have also attached the specs for the tube I got. Jay did a great job, I would recommend him 100%. View attachment 8007112View attachment 8007113View attachment 8007114View attachment 8007115
    Gaaahhhhh! So that was your unit he posted pics of on social not long ago. That’s a beast of an Elbit.

Reactions: stefan73

ifly4vamerica

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2019
    Gaaahhhhh! So that was your unit he posted pics of on social not long ago. That’s a beast of an Elbit.
    LOL, I guess so. It's so much nicer than what it shows in the pics. There are a couple defects but nothing that impairs it's use at all. I was going to buy a new one in WP but would never get a tube this good.

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    Don't mean to hijack but @stefan73 here are the PVS 30 pics. Sorry it took so long and the quality isn't great, I will redo them with the triggercam sometime next week. That house is at 400m first pic is no illuminator, we had partly cloudy skies and no moon. Second is raptar s illuminator on low last is the raptar s on high. I have also attached the specs for the tube I got. Jay did a great job, I would recommend him 100%. View attachment 8007112View attachment 8007113View attachment 8007114View attachment 8007115
    Those are some great specs. I’m saving t have him upgrade my 30 now.

How do you like the tremor reticle? Seems like it would simplify a lot of things at night?

ifly4vamerica

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 11, 2019
    Those are some great specs. I’m saving t have him upgrade my 30 now.

How do you like the tremor reticle? Seems like it would simplify a lot of things at night?
    I love the Tremor, but I have been using it a longggg time. I also had a couple of Todd's videos and was lucky enough to attend a class that Todd taught at his range in Texas.

It's to busy for some people but once you learn how to use it I think it makes things a lot simpler. But to each his own. You can also apply a lot of his techniques with other reticles.

Reactions: rlsmith1

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    Can’t wait to replace the disaster covers on the LR and ELR. One of the straps broke on the LR. EOTech customer service was less than helpful. “A replacement part will be available to purchase at some point in the future” was the response I received. It‘s a brand new unit! So much for a 10 year warranty. I messaged back informing them how poor CS it was to suggest someone buy a replacement for a faulty part and I was hoping there’d be an aftermarket solution soon. Glad to see it is in production. Put me down for 2!!

I purchased 2 of the Jelly Roll cases. Thanks for the heads up there!
    I’ve only done ELR caps, I’d need the OD of the LR to make caps for it, I don‘t have one. I’m shipping 24 to SOK tomorrow, not sure if he will have them for individual sale yet. If you can measure your LR I can get it in Solidworks so we can print those as well.

stefan73

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    Thank you! That is awesome!

Ppapago

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 8, 2014
    How does the ClipIR and the ClipIR-LR compare to the L3 LWTS? I have teh LWTS and want something that can allow me to reach out farther.

Georgedubya

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 19, 2018
    USA
    In what situations is the LR the right choice over the xELR and vise versa? Is the LR the sweet spot for hunting and some mid-range steel. When would you really want the xELR?

Can the xELR still be used on 100 yd shots on pigs? I Understand more FOV is better, but most of the precision scopes we use have ~5 degrees FOV at best on lower mags so this is something we are familiar with, but it is in the daylight so target acquisition is much easier, vs blindly scanning....kinda answered my own question there I know. More FOV better for follow up/running shots.....

I have steel to 1000, and some hogs and other varmints as targets of opportunity. Hogs mostly at feeders given how dry it is right now.

School me....
    would love insight on this as well.

Evolution 9

Hurter of feelings
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 6, 2010
    Central Idaho
    I can sort of answer that…

I have zero time behind an xELR, but lots of time behind an LR and an MR. If you follow my logic (it’s logical to me anyway) I think you can extrapolate a little for the xELR. This will at least suffice until someone else answers.

1. I bought an LR and use it for everything. I can shoot consistent sub MOA groups with it (witnessed by members here).

2. I can see coyotes over 1000 yards away.

3. I can’t usually hit a coyote at that distance even during the day (real life factors… it’s simple to hit targets that size on a range).

Now, if you consider points 1, 2, and 3 above, you’ll realize that conditions and my shooting skill, and NOT the thermal, are the limiting factor in making actual hits at night.

I recently borrowed a MR from @wigwamitus for a wolf hunt (what kind of dealer overnights you his personally owned thermal to borrow when you’re in a bind???). I expected to be range-limited by the MR. I wasn’t. I was, again, limited by real life real world factors, and NOT the image produced by the MR. I was also able to produce sub MOA groups with the MR.

So…

If an MR will do everything at night that I can realistically do in the day…

And if an LR can REALLY do everything at night that I can realistically do in the day…

Then the xELR doesn’t actually add any real world SHOOTING capabilities at all. If you choose an xELR, you will gain PID and aesthetically pleasing images, and there’s something to be said for that. But you will not be adding real world, rounds on target differences under any but the most uncommon circumstances.

BTW, I’ve found the perfect combo for wolf hunting in the west. MR or LR on an AR15 with a NOX35 as a scanner.

Burdy

Private
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 10, 2013
    I can sort of answer that…

I have zero time behind an xELR, but lots of time behind an LR and an MR. If you follow my logic (it’s logical to me anyway) I think you can extrapolate a little for the xELR. This will at least suffice until someone else answers.

1. I bought an LR and use it for everything. I can shoot consistent sub MOA groups with it (witnessed by members here).

2. I can see coyotes over 1000 yards away.

3. I can’t usually hit a coyote at that distance even during the day (real life factors… it’s simple to hit targets that size on a range).

Now, if you consider points 1, 2, and 3 above, you’ll realize that conditions and my shooting skill, and NOT the thermal, are the limiting factor in making actual hits at night.

I recently borrowed a MR from @wigwamitus for a wolf hunt (what kind of dealer overnights you his personally owned thermal to borrow when you’re in a bind???). I expected to be range-limited by the MR. I wasn’t. I was, again, limited by real life real world factors, and NOT the image produced by the MR. I was also able to produce sub MOA groups with the MR.

So…

If an MR will do everything at night that I can realistically do in the day…

And if an LR can REALLY do everything at night that I can realistically do in the day…

Then the xELR doesn’t actually add any real world SHOOTING capabilities at all. If you choose an xELR, you will gain PID and aesthetically pleasing images, and there’s something to be said for that. But you will not be adding real world, rounds on target differences under any but the most uncommon circumstances.

BTW, I’ve found the perfect combo for wolf hunting in the west. MR or LR on an AR15 with a NOX35 as a scanner.
    This guy nailed it. I've used both. I made a 200-220 yard shot on a possum with the MR and a 1.5-8 Razor LH with no problem. The only thing about the MR is you are limited to about eight power before things get pretty pixelated. But from 2.5 to 8 the IQ is quite impressive. I think for all around use the LR is a bit more versatile but your low end starts at about 4x, however It does have higher IQ. The XELR I'm sure is good for extremely long ranges and extremely high magnification scopes but none of those really carry over to practical real world use for ME.
    YMMV

cantankerous

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 10, 2021
    Midwest
    I own an ELR and I've had re chance to play with Wig's LR and MR.

The LR has an awesome image for the FOV.
    I agree that the LR doesn't give up much compared to the ELR, but the ELR does beat it for PID ability.

For my use PID is king.
    I have to be 100% sure that raccoon or possum I see isn't one of my kids' cats.
    I have to be 200% sure that coyote I see isn't our dog or a newborn calf.out

Yes, the LR would be able to PID them easily in a *clean* open field out to at least 200-300 yards, but when I'm looking at a potential target partially obscured by terrain or intervening vegetation I want all the PID ability I can get.

More optical power means faster PID.

As anecdotal evidence I'll say I've observed two skunks running around between cattle at just shy of 600 yards. PID with the ELR was instant.

On another occasion I shot a troublesome raccoon at 450 with the ELR. Again, PID was instant. Both ranged with a radius.

Burdy

Private
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 10, 2013
    I own an ELR and I've had re chance to play with Wig's LR and MR.

The LR has an awesome image for the FOV.
    I agree that the LR doesn't give up much compared to the ELR, but the ELR does beat it for PID ability.

For my use PID is king.
    I have to be 100% sure that raccoon or possum I see isn't one of my kids' cats.
    I have to be 200% sure that coyote I see isn't our dog or a newborn calf.out

Yes, the LR would be able to PID them easily in a *clean* open field out to at least 200-300 yards, but when I'm looking at a potential target partially obscured by terrain or intervening vegetation I want all the PID ability I can get.

More optical power means faster PID.

As anecdotal evidence I'll say I've observed two skunks running around between cattle at just shy of 600 yards. PID with the ELR was instant.

On another occasion I shot a troublesome raccoon at 450 with the ELR. Again, PID was instant. Both ranged with a radius.
    You make great points. It wasn't really until using these units that I began to consider clip-on thermal over clip-on NV for the reasons you listed above. I always leaned toward NV for 100% target ID I've been reaching toward these units more and more.