• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision EOTECH CLIP ON THERMALS ( Full details)

DownRangeThermal

scout alias hoginaustin
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Austin TX
www.downrangethermal.com
As many of you know, EOTECH has released a new line of thermal optics in the US. They are working with Theon Optics out of Europe and the clip ons are being rebranded under the EOTECH name and imported into the US market. All three of the optics share the following:

• Ruggedized/50 cal rated
  • 10 yr warranty through EOTECH
  • Standard NV height above rail
  • Up to 10 hr run time on 4 AA lithium
  • Auto shuttered or selectable manual shutterless NUC
There will be 2 models that EOTECH will sell through their normal channels.

ClipIR

50mm f/1.1 lens

12.4 deg FOV (should be best on 1-6x optics)

17 micron

60hz with 30hz power save mode

640x480 OLED display

BH/WH polarity

MAP $12,119

ClipIR-LR

75mm f/1.1 lens

8.3 degree FOV (3-10x optics)

17 micron

640x480 OLED display

BH/WH polarity

MAP $12,869

20211206_173337.jpg

20211123_133829.jpg

A third model will be offered by EOTECH through distribution by Down Range Thermal (limited #s)

ClipIR-xELR

83mm f/1.0 lens

5.3 degree FOV ( optimized for 5-18x optics)

12 micron

1280x960 oled display ( unity clip on mode is 640x480)

BH/WH/Edge Detect polarity

Optional wired remote avail

Winner of UK MOD SILLS procurement ( paired with AI 338 and S&B 5-25x56) and CANSOF Thermal Clip ON

MAP $15,989

x-elr.jpg

x-elr top.jpg

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the numbers of the xELR and how available do you expect them to be, say in August or September of this year?

Can you elaborate on the numbers of the xELR and how available do you expect them to be, say in August or September of this year?
I'll say that as of now there are a little under 30 left avail. We may be able to reorder before end of yr but you know how this stuff goes.

The stepped design of these is funky until you look at the LRF mounted in front. Makes total sense, I'll see what I can scrape together and let ya know!!

ETA: congrats on getting the xELR over here, I hope this is great for your business! MWIR next please :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: upSLIDEdown
As many of you know, EOTECH has released a new line of thermal optics in the US. They are working with Theon Optics out of Europe and the clip ons are being rebranded under the EOTECH name and imported into the US market. All three of the optics share the following:

• Ruggedized/50 cal rated
  • 10 yr warranty through EOTECH
  • Standard NV height above rail
  • Up to 10 hr run time on 4 AA lithium
  • Auto shuttered or selectable manual shutterless NUC
There will be 2 models that EOTECH will sell through their normal channels.

ClipIR

50mm f/1.1 lens

12.4 deg FOV (should be best on 1-6x optics)

17 micron

640x480 OLED display

BH/WH polarity

MAP $12,119

ClipIR-LR

75mm f/1.1 lens

8.3 degree FOV (3-10x optics)

17 micron

640x480 OLED display

BH/WH polarity

MAP $12,869

View attachment 7793418
View attachment 7793423

A third model will be offered by EOTECH through distribution by Down Range Thermal (limited #s)

ClipIR-xELR

83mm f/1.0 lens

5.3 degree FOV ( optimized for 5-18x optics)

12 micron

1280x960 oled display ( unity clip on mode is 640x480)

BH/WH/Edge Detect polarity

Optional wired remote avail

Winner of UK MOD SILLS procurement ( paired with AI 338 and S&B 5-25x56) and CANSOF Thermal Clip ON

MAP $15,989

View attachment 7793412
View attachment 7793413

View attachment 7793410
What's the mK sensitivity on the xELR units?

I'll say that as of now there are a little under 30 left avail. We may be able to reorder before end of yr but you know how this stuff goes.
Have you had an opportunity to try the xELR? Would love to hear what you thought against the much more expensive UTCXii

Can you PM me the purchase or order terms?

Are those FoVs horizontal or diagonal? If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like the xELR has to be zoomed out to 0.5x to have correct 1x unity view for day scopes?

Have you had an opportunity to try the xELR? Would love to hear what you thought against the much more expensive UTCXii

Can you PM me the purchase or order terms?
No X-elr units have been stateside yet so no. I did have the 17 micron LR for a week and was very impressed. The X-elr as referenced above beat out the utc and others in both of those UKMOD and CANSOF competitive processes. Those are extremely thorough trials. To be a product of record with two separate SF entities says something.

Reactions: Nik H and jstokes1
No X-elr units have been stateside yet so no. I did have the 17 micron LR for a week and was very impressed. The X-elr as referenced above beat out the utc and others in both of those UKMOD and CANSOF competitive processes. Those are extremely thorough trials. To be a product of record with two separate SF entities says something.
Let me know the order process as requested

Are those FoVs horizontal or diagonal? If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like the xELR has to be zoomed out to 0.5x to have correct 1x unity view for day scopes?
It has a reticle and could be used as a stand alone optic like a UTC. Not it's primary purpose but could be used that way. Edited....I have inquired how the full 1280 display is utilized and I am awaiting a reply from the manf. For now just look at it as a 1 to1 sensor display like a utc.

Last edited:
I highly doubt a data sheet meant for government procurement is inaccurate, but after using the shit show of the PRC-163 nothing surprises me anymore.

Tagging to see info on external power etc. Do we have a weight on the xELR? Or a side-by-side size comparison to the UTC?

Last edited:
I don't understand what all of the specs mean, so can you break them down into poor people language? Lol.

Namely, how is the image and ability to aim at higher magnifications going to compare between the LR and xELR vs the Yoter-C I'm currently playing with?
The most important spec that I look for when comparing the thermal units side by side is Field of View (in degrees). Once you see it’s a 640x unit with frame rate of 50-60 and NETD under 40-50, it’s probably going to be a decent sensor. Then it’s all about the interplay between objective lens size and pixel pitch to give the effective magnification (or in the case of clipons with matching demagnification), or field of view.

The Theon thermals have FoV (horizontal) of 12.4, 8.3 and 5.3deg for the base, LR and xELR respectively. The LR you circled would have a slightly narrower FoV than the Super Yoter C, at 8.8deg. If you compared it to a dedicated thermal scope that doesn’t have demagnification, it’s similar to the Halo-LR at 9deg FoV and 3.5x optical mag. The VooDoo-S I’ve been playing with lately has a FoV of 15deg and I don’t like cranking more than 5x or so behind it. So I might guess the -LR Theon to do 9x or so before pixelation would get strong.

Here’s a diagram I’ve been using to visualize various FoV options at distance, on the TVP range -

F248792F-48C4-44E4-A6DF-D1FAD7240F54.jpeg

Got a whole table of FoV values compared as I’ve been playing around with these, but maybe that’s for a separate post.

Last edited:
I’ve seen it somewhere but can’t find it. Does anyone have a table that converts angular FOV to feet at 100 yds? Would be a good general idea of what scopes pair well at min power. Of course rectangular viewing boxes on thermals isn’t exact but it would be helpful for the PVS guys too

I’ve seen it somewhere but can’t find it. Does anyone have a table that converts angular FOV to feet at 100 yds? Would be a good general idea of what scopes pair well at min power. Of course rectangular viewing boxes on thermals isn’t exact but it would be helpful for the PVS guys too
Every degree is approx 5.5 feet at 100 yds.

Hmm how about something like this? Someone check my math…

423BF518-9CCF-4DB2-8991-14CAD8478C91.jpeg

If the fov listed horizontal then the xlr(5.3*) will actually preform better than the utcxii(6*) under higher magnifcation?

are the units 1x native optically or is there screen shrink like the lwts-lr?

If the fov listed horizontal then the xlr(5.3*) will actually preform better than the utcxii(6*) under higher magnifcation? yes it should and it supposedly beat it in the competitive procurement process above in DRI (detection, recognition identification)

are the units 1x native optically or is there screen shrink like the lwts-lr?
Copy paste from my post above
It has a reticle and could be used as a stand alone optic like a UTC. Not it's primary purpose but could be used that way. I'm guessing a little here as coms can be a little misinterpreted when working in different languages but how i'm understanding it is........for stand alone mode(2x optical) the full 1280 display is used (upscaled) and has 2x and 4x digital zoom avail. When clip on mode is selected it is 1 to 1 pixel to sensor ratio (same as UTCxii)and utilizes half of the display. So you get full 640 in clip on mode with the benefit of a larger display ( unlike POT voodoo-m or UTCxii) for observation or stand alone modes. The DRS IWS-LR uses a similar setup with 1280/640 modes as described here and it allows for the best of both worlds. The LWTS-LR attempted it but used a lower res display so clip on mode was heavily pixelated.

Do you know if the Up/Down buttons on the actual unit housing have the same function when the device is on? If not (ie, to change the enhancement mode you normally have to enter a menu first, but the remote gives you instant access) I could see that being helpful.

Do you know if the Up/Down buttons on the actual unit housing have the same function when the device is on? If not (ie, to change the enhancement mode you normally have to enter a menu first, but the remote gives you instant access) I could see that being helpful.
I'm hoping to have an in hand sample soon. I'll update.

Reactions: stefan73
I would be interested in seeing a comparison between the ClipIR-LR vs UTC line.

The LR would fall in line between the LWTS-LR and UTC. A better comparison would be between the Xelr and UTC. .... which will be forthcoming.
For me it would be interesting to see a comparison of the subjective picture quality relative to being able to PID. My local area has limited space with very dense woods so my long shots are extremely limited. Getting a wider FOV to catch predators in between openings or traversing pastures is pretty important to me while being able to tell the difference between my neighbors mini and calves and some of the big coyotes we have.

Still excited about the Xelr! Would love to see that comparison also!

Spec wise the xELR should be neck and neck with the Xii.
A VERY in depth analysis of systems indicates that the xELR may be up to 16% better than the UTC-Xii when it comes to image quality as a high magnification thermal clip on device. I would say the rest of the situation is still in the air with regards to build quality/durability etc.

Specs don’t come close to telling the story about image quality.

Super hogster blows away most 320 core scopes with similar “specs”.

BAE core units (generally) out perform other 640 units with similar specs.

Etc, etc, etc.

There’s just far too much going on in the brains of these things to boil it down to specs. They are a good starting point, but 16% is WELL within the margin of error when all is said and done.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG and TheHorta