• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision EOTech ClipNV vs. L3 CNVD-LR

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    Because… why the hell not?!

Basically, there really are no compelling reasons to go with weapon mounted Night Vision over thermal. You can make the age old argument of PID, but for hunting hogs and yotes, and other things that go bump in the night, there really is no substitute for thermal. PID on those critters is mostly a joke.

But, since we happen to have a few Night Vision clipons, we might as well see which one is the best of the best at coming in a distant second place to thermal. Some of you might complain “Horta! The CNVD is an LR, but your ClipNV is an SR, so this is an unfair comparison!“

Shut your pie hole, Karen! We don’t care about your little limp wristed complaints here in Hortaville. Get back to us when both your testicles have dropped!

The real fact is, both of these are basically priced identically. The LR version of the ClipNV is another $2000 on top of the SR price. I paid almost exactly the same price for these two units, hence the direct comparison.

ClipNV has a 2835 FOM Elbit WP tube. L3 has (of course) an L3 WP 2376 MIN FOM (no sheet) tube.

We’ll be putting both in front of an SB 3-27 scope tonight and find out who’s more well-endowed. The ClipNV is designed for 1-12x scopes where the 2124LR should push past that with little problem.

As you can see by the faux toes, while the L3 is considerably longer than the EO, the L3 actually weighs a fraction of an ounce LESS(!!). The EO is hewn from a medieval blacksmith anvil and feels just like the PVS-22 of yore. You could drive railroad spikes with this thing. The L3 feels more “delicate” and I wouldn’t want it to fall off the table.

(MORE TO COME)

20629726-83DF-4C14-B951-1A03C5BFD670.jpeg

A72CF4E3-9553-45E1-ABC1-328CF4A745EE.jpeg

43A34CA4-750E-4214-B56E-25FA7C067906.jpeg

60C7CFEF-3718-47E8-9C3E-DFF540B2A93D.jpeg

In seriousness, what is the main difference between a LR clip-on compared to a mid-range clip-on spec-wise? Since clip-ons are by definition 1x, does the LR just have a narrower FOV to spread tube pixels out over less square-footage? When would you choose a MR over a LR? This is something I was pondering just yesterday as I half-heartedly shopped clip-ons online.

Reactions: TheHorta
    In seriousness, what is the main difference between a LR clip-on compared to a mid-range clip-on spec-wise? Since clip-ons are by definition 1x, does the LR just have a narrower FOV to spread tube pixels out over less square-footage? When would you choose a MR over a LR? This is something I was pondering just yesterday as I half-heartedly shopped clip-ons online.
    I should be able to definitively answer that tonight, at least for these two units.

Any chance you throw in a thermal in the same price range? Maybe the TIG or other something else Eotech?

Thermal is easy mode for anything living, but NV does have its place

Any chance you throw in a thermal in the same price range? Maybe the TIG or other something else Eotech?

Thermal is easy mode for anything living, but NV does have its place
    I could compare it to the Tig, an RH25, and both Voodoo S/M.

I need a Trigger Cam. Anyone wanna loan me one?

Last edited:
    Reactions: rlsmith1
    I could compare it to the Tig, an RH25, and booth Voodoo S/M.

I need a Trigger Cam. Anyone wanna loan me one?
    No trigger cam here, but I need to get down to Hortaville sometime anyway. I'll confirm most of what you say just like a Trigger Cam!

Reactions: TheHorta
    Spent an hour +/- looking through both on the same SB 3-27.

The L3 2124LR handles more scope mag, because it has more backend demagnification and what looks like about half the FOV of the EOTech. They’re very close in performance and resolution up to about 10x, then the L3 pulls away.

That said, at 1-8x +/- I prefer the EO by a nose. It is brighter and has a MUCH wider FOV. A Vortex 1-10x is the perfect scope for the ClipNV. It fills the scope at about 1.5x mag, where the L3 takes 3x. At 12x and higher the L3 pulls ahead.

The EO is a great little performer. Anything you can do at 10-12x with your day optic you can do with the ClipNV. Fully usable out to 500 yards, no problem. The L3 will get you farther, but you lose FOV and low-end magnification, not to mention it feels like it’s a mile longer.

ClipNV is an impressive Short-to-Mid-Range unit.

Clip on night vision usually has a much longer battery life than thermals. This can be a factor in extreme cold when batteries tend not to last long. Probably doesn't outweigh the clear advantages that thermal has most of the time for hunting, but something to consider.

Reactions: ToKeepAndBear