• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Eotech EXPS2+G33+???Clip On Thermal

BamaSE

Chairborne Squad Commander
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Dothan, Alabama
Hi All, is there a proletarian (less than $6k) clip on thermal that plays well with an Eotech EXPS 2 with a G33 behind it?
Chyna is ok…..RH25? Need something legit to add to my SBR’s which host the Eotech’s for a little close range…. less than 100 yard…..varmit control.
Thanks.

All the civilian clip-ons should do what you’re asking. Steiner, super Yoter C, Burris, RH25.

Trying to put a clip on in front of a eotech dosen't work. You are better off with a dedicated thermal and then swap sights when you want thermal. Will be far better balanced and easier to use.

This is my rig with Hogster and a 2-10x scope.

20220704_111322.jpg

And to be clear, I am not saying you can't do it, here is a hogster-c as you describe, but field of view is cut in half, it is front heavy and having to focus at your front of handguard is awkward.

A dedicated thermal with QD mount is just much nicer and less expensive. I got my clip on first, if I had it to do over, I would have started with dedicated.
20220722_213409.jpg
20220722_213143.jpg

Reactions: mikefraz
Thanks…a little more detail. I am running an Nvision LR and Iray RH50 dedicated on a couple different .308s. We recently had our 4th cat taken by coyotes here at the house….and my manhood has now gotten challenged by my wife about taking them out….given all the thermal gear I have on hand for pig hunting, etc.

But I cannot use the .308s here around the house. Semi-country…..but do have a treestand setup with about a 60 degree safe shoot area….50 yard max to woody area. Been sitting and calling with a .300 BO/suppressed. No shows on the yotes yet….using a thermal scanner and an old school flashlight for the shot. Also have a .17 HMR suppressed with a green light.

However, since said wife said take them out, with a period, I am figuring I may have an opportunity to add another thermal. But it has gotta work in front of the Eotech/magnifier. And double duty as a scanner I need to add too. Hence the inquiry. Appreciate the input!

Last edited:
I too am interested in a lightweight, short range, large FOV thermal clip on. They have the equivalents for night vision clip ons, but I am unaware of something with a wide fov on the thermal side.

The problem is the distance between the magnifier and the clip on, if you mounted a clip on 8" in front of a scope, it would be messed up also. The clip on has a square screen, but mounted this way, you see about half of it, you can not even see the indications around the edge of the screen or the entire menu to make changes.

Maybe some othe clip on is different, but I think this will be common among most.

At 50 yards I'd scan thermal and use a PVS-14 and IR laser myself. Magnifier and narrow FOV seem like more trouble than help.

Reactions: BamaSE
I too am interested in a lightweight, short range, large FOV thermal clip on. They have the equivalents for night vision clip ons, but I am unaware of something with a wide fov on the thermal side.
My favorite setup is the combination of PVS-14, IR laser and dedicated thermal. I use my clip on, mostly as a scanner these days. Hard to beat a laser for speed shooting at night.

The RH25 is your best bet in your price range. It’ll be difficult to use anything in front of an Aimpoint/EOTech RDS without the magnifier.

I run this setup on a subsonic .300BO as well (I have two RH25s) and it works just fine, but really requires the magnifier.

44DB1A6E-BF49-4C3D-B662-F712CFE5E554.jpeg

15D1C61B-76D6-4676-B965-3D4C79D25BDD.jpeg

Also, dood, you have my number and live an hour away. :LOL:

Also, dood, you have my number and live an hour away. :LOL:
Haha but that is too eazee! I went to Hobby Lobby today and snagged a white paint pen. Marked the rail spots for the Eotech and the Halo LR. Gonna try and swap them out and see how that goes. I am only zeroing the Halo at 50 yards so really don’t expect much zero change.

Reactions: TheHorta
The RH25 is your best bet in your price range. It’ll be difficult to use anything in front of an Aimpoint/EOTech RDS without the magnifier.

I run this setup on a subsonic .300BO as well (I have two RH25s) and it works just fine, but really requires the magnifier.

View attachment 7917888
View attachment 7917889
Are you able to see the full screen with that setup or is it less FOV than when used with a scope? I tried it with a Hogster-C and it felt like tunnel vision to me.

As Horta said, RH25

One advantage that an LPVO would have is being able to dial down to 1x for maximum field of view, and then add magnification as needed. Obviously a 3x magnifier like my setup is not as versatile at getting the most out of the clip-on function. That said, it’s still badass with a magnifier.

(I’m waiting on the QD mounts to come in)

Deer at about 65 yards in 2nd photo:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TheHorta
@French1966 In your attached image, are you using the iRay shock absorbing mount in combination with Scalarworks 1.93" optics mounts? Are the optical axes pretty well aligned?

@French1966 In your attached image, are you using the iRay shock absorbing mount in combination with Scalarworks 1.93" optics mounts? Are the optical axes pretty well aligned?
Yes, the factory recoil reducing mount lines up near perfect with 1.93 height mounts.
To be perfectly clear, I have not shot with it yet. So I can’t speak to the margin adjustments needing to be used for proper POI. Visually, it appears that no adjustments are needed.

My main concern was testing it with my Aimpoint/3x mag combo to see if it was even usable visually (will I get a usable image as opposed to all the reviews I’ve seen with LPVOs). I was pleasantly surprised to find the image being very usable with a magnifier setup, you just have to find the right diopter setting on the RH25 that matches your magnifier.

Now that I know it works visually, I need to go shoot with it. I don’t expect any issues though. After that I need to get the QD mounts ordered, and find a riser that gets that ADM mount close to 1.93