• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eotech plus magnifier

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Houston Texas
I want to shoot a 16" AR out to 500 yards and was wondering if any of you have any experience with the Eotech holographic site plus the 5x magnifier. There are a couple of different models but I was thinking that with practice, the -3 version with three dots would be the best for longer shots?

I may be thinking about this the wrong way and that the correct answer is an LPVO plus a red dot.

Thoughts?

I want to shoot a 16" AR out to 500 yards and was wondering if any of you have any experience with the Eotech holographic site plus the 5x magnifier. There are a couple of different models but I was thinking that with practice, the -3 version with three dots would be the best for longer shots?

I may be thinking about this the wrong way and that the correct answer is an LPVO plus a red dot.

Thoughts?
I get out to 350 easy with a 3.5 fixed ACOG (current range only goes that far). I had the eotech and 3x mag setup on another gun, but its heavy and takes up a lot of room. Get a 3.5x or 4x ACOG... just my opinion. Plus you don't need batteries and can beat the hell of it.

You can piggy back the red dot if you want. Still a ton of rail leftover

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 462

Thoughts?
This is a set up I run. I like the 2-dot eotech. If you zero the center dot at 50 its the same at 200, then the second dot is 500. If i remember thats based on a 62 gr. @2900 fps. I didn't know they had a 3 dot, but their 4 dot gives you 400 and 600. but its clutterd without the magnfier.

I didn’t really like mine. Switched to a LPVO with a true 1x. Like it better so far.

I want to shoot a 16" AR out to 500 yards
More details here please. Do you mean hit a full size silhouette on a nice clean known distance range occasionally? Hit an 8" steel every time? Push the limits of your 10.5" HD gun just for the fun of it? Hit something brown and furry in some bushes in the shadow of a tree? Any of those fall within shooting to 500 yards and all are best suited to different optics categories.
I've spent enough time with RDS+Magnifiers to believe they are more capable than people give them credit for but also never the best tool for any kind of real distance.

More details here please. Do you mean hit a full size silhouette on a nice clean known distance range occasionally? Hit an 8" steel every time? Push the limits of your 10.5" HD gun just for the fun of it? Hit something brown and furry in some bushes in the shadow of a tree? Any of those fall within shooting to 500 yards and all are best suited to different optics categories.
I've spent enough time with RDS+Magnifiers to believe they are more capable than people give them credit for but also never the best tool for any kind of real distance.
It is an HK MR556A1. I shoot at The Ranch TX (same place where nine holes do their youtube videos). I shoot instructed courses, ranges from 7ft to 600 yards. On occasion I will shoot a 3 gun match, I will shoot pigs with it but nothing smaller (most likely). I shoot known and unknown distances and I rarely shoot anything other than 77 Razorcore. Since my negative incident, I am very consistent with my practice and typically shoot 200 plus rounds a week with my pistol and about the same with my rifles.

Very general rule of thumb is 1x mag per 100y of target distance. But, I’m not sure how confident I would be about target ID (not just deer/pig/neighbor, but which neighbor) even with 6x at 600 yards.

My personal feeling is that if I am considering a magnifier, the LPVO is the better option. I know it’s anathema, but if I’m at 6-8x on the LPVO and a target appears at 10 ft, I just put the reticle in the middle of the fuzzy/blurry object and depress the trigger…

I feel like an EOtech + magnifier is almost a waste of time… you end up living with shitty eye relief/eyebox when using the magnifier for not a whole lot of return as far as actual magnification, and the same targets 3x and 5x are good for can be engaged with the standalone 1x EOtech almost as easily.

These days most good LPVOs offer more and are usually easier to get behind. Good glass with a legit 1x beats more magnification though… a 1-4 Steiner P4Xi is better than most, if not all, of the lower end 1-6/8’s IMO.

I have the EXSP3 and the G33 (3x magnifier) and it's OK. I like the EOTech itself but hate the eye box on the magnifier. It works... but there are better options.

I love mine . Needs a riser and eye box is pretty bad but it takes getting used to. I only have the magnifier to throw on when varmint hunting otherwise I keep just the Eotech. I like it for that fact that it’s something that can be removed

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9788.jpeg
    IMG_9788.jpeg
    608 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: 1911hombre
Their 5x magnifier is legit. I've been running it since it came out I think 2 years ago now?

Eotech magnifiers have exceptional glass, like elcan. Unfortunately LPVO have pretty much rendered optics like the m145, acog and reflex/red dot with magnifiers obsolete. You can get a more versatile and lighter package with a smaller footprint and have much more capability even with a 1-6.

Eotech magnifiers have exceptional glass, like elcan. Unfortunately LPVO have pretty much rendered optics like the m145, acog and reflex/red dot with magnifiers obsolete. You can get a more versatile and lighter package with a smaller footprint and have much more capability even with a 1-6.
So something like the Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen 2? Do you mount the red dot on top of the optic or on a cant?

I get out to 350 easy with a 3.5 fixed ACOG (current range only goes that far). I had the eotech and 3x mag setup on another gun, but its heavy and takes up a lot of room. Get a 3.5x or 4x ACOG... just my opinion. Plus you don't need batteries and can beat the hell of it.

You can piggy back the red dot if you want. Still a ton of rail leftover

I recently shot my LMT CQB with 16 inch CL barrel and TA11 3.5x Acog out to 600 yards a couple weeks ago. It did better than I would have guessed with a load the rifle likes, 53 Vmax and N133. I went from 300 yards to 600 yards and went 2/2 on a 6 inch plate at 600 yards with it. I then shot this group with it at 600 yards. This was a calm day and I use Acogs a fair amount on air rifles, 22LR, and ARs. I am not saying this is typical, but it is possible if you have a good load and rifle. It is a fun challenge. I could easily see the hits on the 1moa steel. If you were shooting a large, heavy piece of steel that did not move when hit, it would be tougher seeing hits at 600 yards without a spotter.

tempImageneuVEm.jpg

I agree with TheDude219, the Acog TA11 checks a lot of boxes for me. Tough, great glass, fairly lightweight, generous eye relief in this model, NO BATTERIES, and can be found at or under $1000. While not the best at any one thing (except durability), it does well enough for fun at the range, hunting, and as a self defense optic that I am not selling mine ever. Mine is mounted on the Unity riser to make it easier to shoot with a helmet when I have a PVS-24 mounted in front of it. FYI this is a fantastic combo for night hunting that does not weigh too much.

tempImageKF56g6.jpg

Reactions: TheDude219
475 -500 yds steel silhouette, Eotech EXPS3-0 with 3X magnifier Blackhill 77gr. Took a couple to figure holdover and windage but doable
Rifle is BCM upper receiver, BCM 11.5" barrel, AEM5 suppressor, very gassy, Geissele SSA-E trigger. This is my favorite to shoot hate cleaning it.
vH3U8eQ.jpg

Reactions: Dendro
it’s hard to not recommend a Razor 1-6, even like 10 years out, it’s still a great choice with a legit 1x and daylight bright dot.

That said, now with my mid-40’s 24/7 contact lens corrected eyes’ and being no longer really interested in ARs that aren’t 18” or longer and firing 77gn projectiles… Razor LHT 22x (parked ~15x) w/ offset RMR (CQB-100) is my recommendation for the aging door-kicker. 😝