• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Eotech question 512 or 517

cruciantime

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I want to get an eotech this week and thought I knew which one I wanted. I want either the 512 or the 517. I have 2 questions and am hoping someone can clear up some info for me. Question 1) How much room is behind each of these sights. 2) What exactly does the sight picture look like.

My ar-15 has a flat top upper, standard front sight base, delta ring and standard hand guards, my rear sight looks like the rear part of a carry handle.

I have looked in a number of places and have even contacted eotech and cant find an answer. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Re: Eotech question 512 or 517

1. The room behind the optic depends on where you mount it on the weapon. Considering the type of back up iron sight (BUIS) you are describing you will have plenty of room for the EOTech and the BUIS. Though I will warn you, your sight picture will be a little busy with the iron sight constantly up and trying to use the EOTech. If you must have the EOTech you will want a fold down BUIS.

2. The sight picture of the EOTech is a 65MOA circle with a 1MOA dot in the center.

My suggestion is to actually shoot with an EOTech and see what you think. It sounds like your hands on with EOTech is minimal at best? If so I question your choice of EOTech. The rifle set up you are describing would be best if you used the RRA Dominator Mount. Do some research, the 512 and 517 don't have the best track record. I'd loan you my 512 but after being repaired once by L3 it still doesn't work and my 556 only works half the time and L3 won't repair it.

Well, my 517 works great and always has. If you want to add a magnifier behind your Eotech at some point get the 517 as it has the intensity controls on the side instead of the back.

Get a T-1 and a Larue mount. But that's my opinon. Not a fan of eotechs as the past ones I have had failed. Battery compartment issues.

Or an H-1 , actually get an H-1 as it is cheaper and you probably don't need the nightvision settings.

A 512 unless you need NV. You can mount the 512 or 517 as far forward as you want, it makes no difference. But as mentioned sight picture will be very busy unless you have fold down sights. Like an ARMS rear and a Samson front sight.

I would suggest not going with the eotech. While working @ our range, we have had endless eotech failures: batteries, buttons, compartments, etc. We have never had an Aimpoint go down. I am sure it will happen someday, but it still hasn't. For the price, I would definitly buy the aimpoint. I own one and have never regretted it.
One of the best rear sites on the market today is the magpul flip up rear site. Really nice design and I have had no issues w/ it since it came out. Buy a quality back up site.