• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eotech Vudu 1-10 first impressions

Conqueror

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
North Central FL
I figured a new thread was warranted since these are actually shipping now. Today I received a new Vudu 1-10 LE5 reticle (MRAD christmas tree with a crosshair in the middle rather than a circle-dot). Just going to post some first impressions here and will flesh this out as I start to use it.

1) In the box: the scope (wrapped in a plastic bag for additional dust protection), a pair of cheap plastic slip-fit lens covers only suitable for shipping, a removable throw lever, a 2032 battery, a user manual, a reticle manual, a lens cloth, a desiccant pack, and a couple EOTech stickers.

2) Finish is very nice, uniform matte black anodizing, nice stylized knurling on the turrets and power ring, feels solid and reasonably well-built.

3) Power ring tension is pretty spot-on for me, firm but not tight. Easy when you want to move it, but not going to slip. Throw lever was not mandatory but I added it. It goes from about 8:30 at 1x to about 2:30 on 10x which is nice if you're running a right-handed bolt gun, which is my application.

4) The illumination is not "daylight bright." It will be visible in daylight but it's not like a Vortex. I'd call it similar to setting 8 or maybe 9 on an Aimpoint T2.

5) Optically I like it so far. The reports of a tight eyebox seem exaggerated to me; it is perhaps a bit tighter than my Trijicon 1-8 on the same 1-8 range and definitely tighter on 10x which is to be expected, but it does not seem like a huge deal to me, and my initial belief is that it will be plenty usable. I do not note significant barrel or pincushion distortion at 1x, color reproduction seems adequate, and I did not see any obvious chromatic aberration or fringing out to 200 yards, though I have not run it in bright light yet.

6) Not sure yet how usable the "Ring of Death" is on an LPVO. I like its inclusion philosophically, but at 1x the center dot is small and not super bright, so the ring isn't "centering" your eye in quite the same way that it does on an Eotech holosight. The ring disappears at about 5.5x and above that you just have the center reticle, which I do initially like, design-wise.

7) Turrets are clicky and very positive, I like them from a tactile perspective. The elevation is exposed with a locking function, and windage is capped. There are NO reference lines for elevation and NO zero stop which is annoying, I could see it being easy to accidentally dial back to zero and be a full turn off if you have used the elevation turrets. Sadly there are very few good LPVOs with exposed turrets which I needed for my application, and I think this is the only 1-10 with same. Setting zero on the turrets is easy but does require a coin or similar tool.

8) The illumination knob does not turn. There are three buttons on its periphery, a center button for power and two adjustment buttons (up/down). They are easy to press and have a soft tactile click but make no sound. Don't know how I feel about it, but I don't think buttons on their holosights are failing left and right, so hopefully the durability is there. It has a 2-hour auto shutoff.

9) EOTech does not provide torque specs for rings, the manual says to just use whatever the mount indicates.

10) The throw lever is not broached for a hex key on the top. I could see it being difficult to remove if you loctite it.

11) I threw a TigIR 6z+ in front of it and it paired very well. I could not discern significant parallax which is nice since the parallax is non-adjustable on the optic. The screen does not fill the optic until about 4-5x which is a little later than it happens on my Trijicon 1-8s - perhaps related to larger FOV?

TLDR: It seems optically decent and well-made. I wish the reticle was brighter but this is a common complain on many LPVOs, and I am not using it on an AR for running and gunning, so I find this less necessary for my application. The illumination buttons are a question mark but I have no reason to hate them immediately. They should have at least put index lines on the elevation, though a zero stop would have been better. However, I'm not aware of any other quality 1-10 LPVO on the market with an exposed elevation turret, which makes this a no-brainer if that's what you're looking for. I'm not sure it's a "Razor Killer" but it met my specific needs more than the Razor, and it costs about $400 less. Overall my first impression is favorable.

Judging from Eotech's video on their site, it is far from daylight bright. Looks like it gets about as bright as the 1-6 vudu I had three years ago. Major letdown.

Judging from Eotech's video on their site, it is far from daylight bright. Looks like it gets about as bright as the 1-6 vudu I had three years ago. Major letdown.

I just got one with the LE5 reticle and it absolutely is daylight bright. If you look directly at the sun it will turn burgundyish but as long as you're not looking straight at the sun with it in the middle of the sight picture you get a nice crisp red reticle.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Oh any recommendations for lens caps and sizes?
Aadland K18i cap will fit on the objective. Probably don't want a cap on the eyepiece since the whole thing turns. I cut a silicone Butler Creek Bikini cover to use there and I just remove it and throw it in my pocket when not in use.

How’s the reticle at the 6x to about 8x range?

Specifically are the stadia usable with illumination turned off to shoot smaller targets? More on the dial for Elevation and hold for wind, but also the Christmas tree.

How is Depth of field? If you set up the reticle for 1x use, are targets/reticle crisp at the 400-500 yard range?

Thanks

The Vudu FFP reticles do a good job of being two reticles in one. When they are on 1X, it reminds me, very much, of the famous Eotech Donut of Death. When the magnification is cranked-up, the donut disappears, and you have a completely different reticle.

I have not yet had hands on with the Vudu 1-10.

Yep, you’re right, I think I forgot about that one. Although it is essentially double the price when you factor in the weird mount that most people buy.

Not talking about the shorty, there's a "long" 1-10x available too. It's around 2-2.2k and fits any regular 30mm mount. I think most people overlook it... Pictured with sun shade installed:

31pqpa7n3zq91.jpg

Either way, had the Vudu been available at the time I bought the March, it would have been a STRONG contender! Looks like a decent piece of optic. And personally I would not want anything below 10x. If you spend this sort of money for a scope, it should at least have a little versatility.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
So I ended up getting the PLX Compact as well to mount on a 14.5 carbine. Overall, I still prefer the system in the Vudu, but having a baby sized LVPO is quite nice especially with it's excellent optical properties. The 1x on the PLXC is amazing for sight picture, the scope body kind of disappears.

I just got one with the LE5 reticle and it absolutely is daylight bright. If you look directly at the sun it will turn burgundyish but as long as you're not looking straight at the sun with it in the middle of the sight picture you get a nice crisp red reticle.
Looking at this optic now for a 300BLK bolt build. How do you like the LE5 vs say the SR5?

Looking at this optic now for a 300BLK bolt build. How do you like the LE5 vs say the SR5?
Well you are looking at MOA vs MIL, tree vs no tree and crosshair center vs dot. So it's really personal preference.

Well you are looking at MOA vs MIL, tree vs no tree and crosshair center vs dot. So it's really personal preference.
My understanding is they're both MIL Christmas tree dots. The only difference I thought was the center fine crosshair vs center dot so that's what I was getting at.

My bad, I thought you said LE5 vs SR4. I've had all of them. I'm a center dot guy so the SR5 is my favorite. But some just really like a crosshair. It is a bit quicker and maybe preferred if your .300 is mostly for hunting.

My bad, I thought you said LE5 vs SR4. I've had all of them. I'm a center dot guy so the SR5 is my favorite. But some just really like a crosshair. It is a bit quicker and maybe preferred if your .300 is mostly for hunting.
No worries, appreciate the wisdom. I'm currently used to LPVOs with a center dot, but wondered if the crosshair center offered any "advantage".

I went with the LE5. Fantastic scope.

The center dot version is roughly 1 MOA. The LE5 is far more refined.

The center dot works, but if you're shooting head-sized targets at distance, pray for wind or dial an extra click so the dot doesn't obscure your target.

Been running the 1-6x for 2 years in Run-N-Gun comps (targets to 800).

Glad they capped the windage and locked elevation. The tree has enough info, so dialing is unnecessary if speed is king.

If you have time, dial away, but count the rotations beforehand or use a grease pencil to mark your zero line prior.

Eotech really stepped it up on this model. And $1k less than the Razor.

Last edited: