• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Eotech X-ELR Clip-ons 2023 (MK2) in stock

DownRangeThermal

scout alias hoginaustin
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Austin TX
www.downrangethermal.com
New year, new gear. Eotech is releasing the next generation of Clip-IR clip-ons this yr. Here I'll discuss the X-ELR MK2 ( they may end up dropping the "x" again but for now we'll go with X-ELR) I've been testing the MK2 and I really like the upgraded features. It is a much more versatile optic with the added stand alone mode. We have 110 units arriving in april-june timeframe in 2 shipments. We'll be taking pre-orders starting week of Feb 13th. Pricing is $16,499. Dealers please contact us if you want in on some of the early units.
We understand that timing wasn't great between the MK1.5 and Mk2 being released...we had no control over this but we are offering a significant discount program for MK1 owners ... 15% off with S/N verification. 512-699-9510 [email protected]

At a glance.
1. Smaller lower profile housing but same lens size and 12um sensor.
2. Same performance and field of view in Clip on mode as MK1.
3. Has usable stand alone mode that looks fantastic. Utilizes a full oled 1280 display at 2x optical for stand alone mode and reduces to 1x ( half display) 640 in clip on mode. Has multiple reticles in stand alone mode including mil dot.
4. Has onboard video recording. Wifi/Bluetooth
5. Lens no longer rotates. Has internal focus control with rotating knob on rear of device.
6. Retains all of the best capabilities of the MK1 ( 50 cal rating, internal shutter, rugged design, sub 3 second start up)
7. We will be offering an accessory remote that allows for full access to menus etc.

1675185211558.png

mk2 1.jpg

mk2 2.jpg

mk2 4.jpg

mk2 compare.jpg

mk2 3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, lots to love here! If the 900g weight metric is correct, then you are dangerously close to UTC X weight and not far off of UTC Xii weight which is sweet!

Well this is cool, I was looking at getting the elr/xelr. I noticed the mag range is now 10-20x. How's the performance below 10?

Last edited:
Reactions: MtnGhost
So much for buy once, cry once! What's the trade in program going to look like?!?! Lol

Serious question..... Are these manufactured by Theon also and have they gone through the same military testing?
Well, nature of the beast I guess. Always something new around the corner with these manufacturers. Evolve or die right? Yes on Theon. I'm assuming so. They are always building these things for MIL...we just reap the benefits.

So Who wants a gen1 for a good price? Shipped tomorrow.

That way I can get this gen2 when it’s ready

Reactions: Rory_Fritz
Stand alone is the one thing I miss with the Mk1.

One less battery and added blue tooth? Run time will drop well below the 8hrs listed.

Should I price out the upgrade or wait a year for the Mk3?

I imagine you can turn off the Bluetooth. Hopefully since they added video capture they have improved the way of getting the data off the device because the current software and method is hilariously bad and would take about 4hrs to download a video to your computer. They’ve also clearly massively upgraded the internal storage; then Gen 1 only has about 2MB of data storage whereas this can supposedly store 2hrs of video.

I’m also a bit surprised by the rapid upgrade since the Gen 1 is in SOF use. Normally militaries don’t want you to make changes to a thing they’re buying because they’ve already vetted it in the original version.

The apparent rear focus knob is an awesome and smart change. I’m not so sure about the apparent change from buttons to a control knob. One of the best features of the Gen 1 is the buttons - they are extremely intuitive and fast to learn, easy to use in the dark, and you can optimize your image quality for the given environment very quickly. That will not be the case if everything is now controlled by scrolling through menus with a knob. Maybe the knob can also tilt like a joystick?

Last edited:
Reactions: MtnGhost
I’m also a bit surprised by the rapid upgrade since the Gen 1 is in SOF use. Normally militaries don’t want you to make changes to a thing they’re buying because they’ve already vetted it in the original version.
Well, with everything going on out there, the "arms race" is probably accelerating into overdrive.

The purveyors of death are all scrambling for a piece of the pie.

Last edited:
I imagine you can turn off the Bluetooth. Hopefully since they added video capture they have improved the way of getting the data off the device because the current software and method is hilariously bad and would take about 4hrs to download a video to your computer. They’ve also clearly massively upgraded the internal storage; then Gen 1 only has about 2MB of data storage whereas this can supposedly store 2hrs of video.

The apparent rear focus knob is an awesome and smart change. I’m not so sure about the apparent change from buttons to a control knob. One of the best features of the Gen 1 is the buttons - they are extremely intuitive and fast to learn, easy to use in the dark, and you can optimize your image quality for the given environment very quickly. That will not be the case if everything is now controlled by scrolling through menus with a knob. Maybe the knob can also tilt like a joystick?
I think the Remote accessory that allows for full menu access will be very popular. One thing to note is the 2022 delivered xelr was known internally as the mk1.5 the true mk1 elr was a 17 micron with a 100mm lens. Once you have remote there will be very little reaching with MK2 when prone as focus is on rear left side.

I think the Remote accessory that allows for full menu access will be very popular. One thing to note is the 2022 delivered xelr was known internally as the mk1.5 the true mk1 elr was a 17 micron with a 100mm lens. Once you have remote there will be very little reaching with MK2 when prone as focus is on rear left side.
Will the remote for the 1.5 also work on the mk2?

They should have some kind of trade in program for those who just bought the other one. That's some bs. Definitely won't be buying anything eotech again if they don't do something to help out their customers on this. I will sell mine. I haven't even used the thing yet.

They should have some kind of trade in program for those who just bought the other one. That's some bs. Definitely won't be buying anything eotech again if they don't do something to help out their customers on this. I will sell mine. I haven't even used the thing yet.
Yeah, I’m also pretty pissed that Apple presented a new iPhone right after I bought one.
:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I’m also pretty pissed that Apple presented a new iPhone right after I bought one.
:ROFLMAO:

Yeah that 15k iPhone? This thing hasn't even been out for a year and they hid it too. I'm far from the only one that feels this way. Do you even have one? Or are you just some poor from Denmark who thinks they are cool?

Well you gotta look at the positives.

At least you didn't buy a Flir Thermal and the manufacturer turned around and said sorry, but you are on your own now all out in the dark and cold. Good luck.

Brought a new meaning to "Red Headed Step Child" :LOL:

Well you gotta look at the positives.

At least you didn't buy a Flir Thermal and the manufacturer turned around and said sorry, but you are on your own now all out in the dark and cold. Good luck.

Brought a new meaning to "Red Headed Step Child" :LOL:

Yeah that whole deal sucked. If the thing had been out for a while that would be one thing, but eotech and who knows who else knew what they were doing here. Come out with the "best there is" and a few months later come out with an updated model? Thats bs and like I said, I'm FAR from the only one who thinks so. It's a nice piece of gear and I'm not even sure I'd like the focus adjustment via button but it's pretty sorry the way they did it.

Mk 1.5 was still best of breed for current consumer market. Looks like 2.0 fixes most of the niggles we complained about.

I get the frustration of dropping $15K on a hot chick, only to find out her twin sister is more athletic and just as into you.

I’ll also say, it was pretty clear that the small float of 1.5’s was a fairly clear giveaway that production on that unit had ceased and a replacement was inevitable. When I visited Theon in Greece back in October of 2021 the MK2 was already under early development, and that was before 1.5 arrived here.

No TracIR for 2.0, but they said back then that v2 would have the ability to have “features” added, where 1.5 was a fixed product with zero ungradeability.

Obviously, DRT has way more info and conms with real people.

I’ll also add… I bought another Voodoo-M just a couple of months ago and PoT just announced and released their new crop of Voodoos at SHOT. That’s a chunk more pricey than the ELR, but I ain’t pissed.

And… BC… when you comin’ up to play bruddah?

Last edited:
Yeah that 15k iPhone? This thing hasn't even been out for a year and they hid it too. I'm far from the only one that feels this way. Do you even have one? Or are you just some poor from Denmark who thinks they are cool?
Yes, I’m a poor from Denmark;), and no, I don’t own a Theon.

You must have bought it, because its features and performance was worth the coin.
Did the performance and features degrade over night?

Yes, I’m a poor from Denmark;), and no, I don’t own a Theon.

You must have bought it, because its features and performance was worth the coin.
Ok then just sit this one out cheif.

Mk 1.5 was still best of breed for current consumer market. Looks like 2.0 fixes most of the niggles we complained about.

I get the frustration of dropping $15K on a hot chick, only to find out her twin sister is more athletic and just as into you.

I’ll also say, it was pretty clear that the small float of 1.5’s was a fairly clear giveaway that production on that unit had ceased and a replacement was inevitable. When I visited Theon in Greece back in October of 2021 the MK2 was already under early development, and that was before 1.5 arrived here.

No TracIR for 2.0, but they said back then that v2 would have the ability to have “features” added, where 1.5 was a fixed product with zero ungradeability.

Obviously, DRT has way more info and conms with real people.

Then why did you come on here and say "don't need to buy another thermal for 10 years" or whatever? You working for them or something?

Yeah that whole deal sucked. If the thing had been out for a while that would be one thing, but eotech and who knows who else knew what they were doing here. Come out with the "best there is" and a few months later come out with an updated model? Thats bs and like I said, I'm FAR from the only one who thinks so. It's a nice piece of gear and I'm not even sure I'd like the focus adjustment via button but it's pretty sorry the way they did it.
I understand what you are saying. However the Gen 2 stuff is not always better than the Gen 1.

2 Examples

Gen 1 Pas 29 COTI controls way more better than ECOTI.

Primary Arms Gen 1 Cyclops has 1/2 MOA turret adjustments. Gen 2 is 1 MOA adjustments.

Don't know much about this new ELR Gen 2 at all, but the focus nob on the back is not attractive to me, simply because from the pictures it looks like it could get snapped off if the scope got banged around. Whereas the Gen 1 version would not have that issue.

I understand what you are saying. However the Gen 2 stuff is not always better than the Gen 1.

2 Examples

Gen 1 Pas 29 COTI controls way more better than ECOTI.

Primary Arms Gen 1 Cyclops has 1/2 MOA torrent adjustments. Gen 2 is 1 MOA adjustments.

Don't know much about this new ELR Gen 2 at all, but the focus nob on the back is not attractive to me, simply because from the pictures it looks like it could get snapped off if the scope got banged around. Whereas the Gen 1 version would not have that issue.

Yeah for sure, and like I said, I'm not sure about the button for focus either, it's just the way it was done that seems pretty sorry for folks dropping that kind of money on your product and how you advertised your product, with all the reps ect ect... not a good way to do things with folks who pay that kind of money for their gear.

One thing I have learned in all the years is that there is always something newer just around the corner. I have never been into gotta have the latest greatest.

That being said, I evaluate whether a given product will achieve what I am wanting to do, in a relatively good way that is satisfactory and then look at the cost/benefit ratio. Durability is a keep step in my decision because I am gonna use that item for years and not chase the latest greatest unless there is an extremely beneficial new feature that my current device does not have that is a "game changer"

Plus just about anything you buy, loses 1/3 of its value right out of the door.

Now my old lady has got a lot of years on her at this point. Maybe a 20 something might have some benefits, but probably comes with some problems too. :LOL:

If a $15k thermal depreciating is a concern to you, I hope you never buy a brand new truck.

Good on Eotech for actually having a development cycle that isn’t a decade (UTC Xii). I totally agree with @WhereNow&How that there is always something newer and better just around the corner. However, with the size of the civilian NV / thermal market today, some items “just around the corner” never make it around the corner and into the market.

@TheHorta I pity you for owning to Voodoo M’s now

If a $15k thermal depreciating is a concern to you, I hope you never buy a brand new truck.

Good on Eotech for actually having a development cycle that isn’t a decade (UTC Xii). I totally agree with @WhereNow&How that there is always something newer and better just around the corner. However, with the size of the civilian NV / thermal market today, some items “just around the corner” never make it around the corner and into the market.

@TheHorta I pity you for owning to Voodoo M’s now

I didn't say anything about any depreciation, that's not my point here. This isnt like the normal itteration of advancing tech either. Anywho, bad way to do things and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way but maybe the reps and eotech will come up with something to help the situation out, we shall see.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I didn't say anything about any depreciation, that's not my point here. This isnt like the normal itteration of advancing tech either. Anywho, bad way to do things and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way but maybe the reps and eotech will come up with something to help the situation out, we shall see.
I’m not trying to be difficult, but what do you mean this isn’t the normal iteration of advancing tech (the MK1.5 was officially announced over a year ago)? Things constantly improve over time (capitalism baby) and in this case, I would say the “old” tech is still world class technology.

Also, it’s not like the MK1.5 is all of a sudden useless

I’m not trying to be difficult, but what do you mean this isn’t the normal iteration of advancing tech (the MK1.5 was officially announced over a year ago)? Things constantly improve over time (capitalism baby) and in this case, I would say the “old” tech is still world class technology.

Also, it’s not like the MK1.5 is all of a sudden useless

They didn't even start taking orders for the Xelr until a year ago. I don't know when the first ones were actually delivered

I’ll also add… I bought another Voodoo-M just a couple of months ago and PoT just announced and released their new crop of Voodoos at SHOT. That’s a chunk more pricey than the ELR, but I ain’t pissed.
More info on the new Voodoos? Haven’t seen anything anywhere about them.

I think any thermal is obsolete when you buy it as quick as things change now
I think obsolete is a little strong.

Maybe not "cutting edge" anymore, but lots of dated thermal still performs pretty darn good.

Especially at the ranges most people can and do shoot critters at night.

The most important thing is how long a manufacturer will support and fix a unit.

I'm really excited for pricing and more details coming this week!

I think obsolete is a little strong.

Maybe not "cutting edge" anymore, but lots of dated thermal still performs pretty darn good.

Especially at the ranges most people can and do shoot critters at night.

The most important thing is how long a manufacturer will support and fix a unit.
Agreed. The UTC Xs for example perform EXTREMELY well. Still keeps up with units literally 10 years newer (and in some ways exceeds them).

Last edited: