• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EOTech XPS 3-2 Review.

paulo_santos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2006
NJ
www.spdcrossfit.com
<span style="color: #FF0000">INTRODUCTION:</span>
This is a technical oriented review of the EOTech XPS 3-2. The EOTech XPS 3-2 has a BDC reticle so I will focus on explaining the reticle. I will also be doing a battery life test.

<span style="color: #FF0000">EOTech XPS 3-2 RETICLE EXPLANATION:</span>
The EOTech XPS 3-2 reticle was calibrated with the M855 ammo with a MV of 2900 FPS with a 50 yard zero. So the center dot is calibrated for 50/200 yard zero and the second dot is for 500 yards. And as many of you EOTech owners already know, the bottom of the reticle is the holdover for 7 yards.

Generally, the 100 yard zero is the better short range zero as the space in between the two dots is dead on at 300 yards. The 50/200 yard zero is the better long range zero because the second dot is good for 500 yards and the space in between the two dots is close to 400 yards. It is best to take your load and see how they match up for you because bullet weight and velocity can change things slightly.

So with that info, I plugged it in to the JBM program and I came up with the distance/drop of the 2nd dot:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo: M855.
BC: .304.
MV: 2900 FPS.
Zero Range: 50 yards.
Sight Height: 2.6".
2nd dot: -2.8 MILS/-9.7 MOA.</span>

EOTechXPS3-2Reticle.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">TRAJECTORY EXAMPLES WITH A 100 YARD ZERO:</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo: M193.
BC: .243.
MV: 3130 FPS. (16" barrel).
Zero Range: 100 yards.</span>

EOTechXPS3-2M193.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo: Hornady NATO 75 GR BTHP W/C T2. (MK262 will be nearly identical.).
BC: .355.
MV: 2700 FPS. (16" barrel).
Zero Range: 100 yards.</span>

EOTechXPS3-275GRTAP.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">TRAJECTORY EXAMPLES WITH A 50/200 YARD ZERO:</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo: M193.
BC: .243.
MV: 3130 FPS. (16" barrel).
Zero Range: 50/200 yards.</span>

EOTechXPS3-2M193-2.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo: Hornady NATO 75 GR BTHP W/C T2. (MK262 will be nearly identical.).
BC: .355.
MV: 2700 FPS. (16" barrel).
Zero Range: 50/200 yards.</span>

EOTechXPS3-275GRTAP-2.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000">CONCLUSION:</span>
I went to the 300 yard range to see how the BDC reticle matched up. From my calculations using the handloads of the Hornady 55 GR FMJ/BT with a MV of 2900 FPS, 300 yards should have been right between both dots. I did 3 10 round shot groups using the FBI man sized targets and it was dead on at 300 yards. If you have an FBI target, at 300 yards, place the center dot on the top of the paper and the lower dot on the bottom of the papaer and pull the trigger and it will strike right in the center. So for any target, just place the target right in between the two dots at 300 yards and you will be on. With the Aimpoint 3xMagnifier I had no problem seing the target at 300 yards.

<span style="color: #FF0000">BATTERY TEST:</span>
The EOTech XPS 3-2 has a reported battery life of 600 hours on setting # 12, which is the standard setting when you turn on the EOTech. So in theory, if I turn on the EOTech XPS 3-2 everyday using the 8-hour setting, the battery should last me 75 straight days. I have begun the battery test on 12-18-09 and I haven't missed a day yet. So the battery should last until sometime in early March. I'll update this test when it is complete.

Re: EOTech XPS 3-2 Review.

I picked up a XPS 3-0 to check it out and I really like it so far. I am very interested in the results from your battery life test.

Very cool. Interested in the battery life test also. Good work, man.

I actually sold mine a week ago. I got a great deal on a TA33 that I couldnt pass it up (I did send the guy a new battery. LOL). The battery was still going strong, so it exceeeded even my expectations. If I had to do it again, which I pan on, I would have not purchased the XPS 3-2. I would have bought the standard reticle (XPS 3-0 or the XPS 2-0 with the GG&G Accucam). The second dot was annoying after a while, especially since I never used it except for the first day I took it out. Even then, I just used the second dot for reference.

After trying 1x4 scopes, ACOG's, Red Dots, Red Dots with magnifiers, I have come to this conclusion:

1. If you don't need magnification, a red dot (Aimpoint or EOTech), are king.
2. If the majority of the time you are just going to be using 1x, but you will occasionally need magnification, then the Aimpoint/EOTech with magnifier is a grat option.
3. If the majority of the time you are going to be using/needing magnification, with the occasional 1x, then a 1x4 scope or an ACOG is the better choice.

For my personal AR, I found myself using magnification most of the time while at the range, so I dumped the EOTech with 3xMagnifier for the ACOG because it is much lighter setup and much cheaper. But for work we use EOTechs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I had to do it again, which I pan on, I would have not purchased the XPS 3-2. I would have bought the standard reticle (XPS 3-0 or the XPS 2-0 with the GG&G Accucam). The second dot was annoying after a while
1. </div></div>

THIS.

I have the XPS with the regular Eotech 65 MOA circle and reticle and love it. Much faster target acquisition than my Aimpoint T1s and broader field of view. The two dots dont make sense because the 2nd dot is at ~500yards. I cant see target at 500 yards without magnification anyways and if i was gonna add the weight of a 3x magnifier, i might as well just use a 1-4x scope. Most people fail to realize that 500yards is a long shot for 5.56 platform when you have minimal magnification, and cant dial in for elevation and wind with a red dot.

I had the XPS 3-0. The only thing I did not like was not being able to set my brightness once and have it stay each time I powered it on. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it would have been a nice feature. Otherwise it was a great optic.