• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ep 243 Fundamentals

rjs5117

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
In episode 243 Frank suggested posting up a video shooting a group for a fundamental eval. Here is a video of me shooting a 5rd group in the prone, on concrete, bipod and rear bag, at 100 yards.

You can't see because of my glasses, but I briefly do an NPA check with my eyes closed before I do two dry fire presses (normally I do more given time/opportunity but I don't want to make you sit through them). I tried to ensure that I did not break my cheek weld to insert my magazine or to run my bolt and that I had consistent trigger press.

I took Frank's class last September (shooting Mike's AI, I was the guy who somehow fucked up his Kahles). I have since built my own rifle and I'm scheduled to take the class again in August but I wanted to get an intermediate check out. I realize that you can't see everything you normally look at in the fundamental eval from this angle so suggestions for other camera angles are welcome. (Edit: I could only put my phone about 2' away from me. I get it, the portrait mode is less than ideal. I'm asking for feedback like "adjust the camera so we can see your support hand" or something like that.)

Last edited:
Tip for future vids. Not potato cam. Neither my TV nor my computer are mounted vertically.
This is unwatchable.
You’re laying horizontal. Your rifle is horizontal. Why is your camera in portrait?
E855D21E-6A12-4705-9766-67C0F08796E2.png

Tip for future vids. Not potato cam. Neither my TV nor my computer are mounted vertically.
This is unwatchable.
You’re laying horizontal. Your rifle is horizontal. Why is your camera in portrait?
View attachment 7302319
I used the front facing camera on my phone so I could see what I was actually filming.

I'm willing to acknowledge that it could be more cinematic. That's a 1440p front facing camera. There are plenty of pixels there to see what's going on. If you don't want to watch it, then don't.

Edit: I'm also filming at a public range during a pandemic. The option to put my phone more than about 2ft away from me was not available.

It’s not the picture quality. It’s the extremely limited field of view. We don’t need to see the ceiling. We need to see you and your rifle.

It’s not the picture quality. It’s the extremely limited field of view. We don’t need to see the ceiling. We need to see you and your rifle.
I understand that. The point here being that turning my phone sideways would have given you the first 4-5 inches of barrel and maybe a bit of my upper back. In this video, you can see my cheek weld, my bolt manipulation, and my firing hand. It's the best I can do given the circumstances and I asked for feedback on what's there. If you think that there's no value in video that doesn't capture my entire body and entire rifle then I guess I'll just have to wait until I take the class again. Thanks anyway.

Gotta agree with the "don't film in portrait" crowd...

I've seen so many photos, and videos of highly skilled shooters, great drivers, hilarious comedians, ingenious woodworkers... you name it... things I could really enjoy, and learn from. Yet so many times the entire concept of the video was lost, simply because the stupid thing was so infuriatingly annoying, having been shot in portrait mode... Makes a potential SME lose credibility. People focus on that, rather than the lesson...

It's the same as when giving a class to soldiers. You have to learn how to use the training aids effectively, how to use the inflection in your voice, how to NOT stare into your lesson plan, but to make eye contact with the troops so as to better evaluate their understanding of what you are putting out. Know when to stomp your feet as it were...

Keep in mind, I'm not knocking your skills. I'm a novice in precision shooting, and you looked like you had it down, way better than I would have, but it was very annoying to watch... It was hard to concentrate on what you were doing, because I kept saying to myself "Why the fuck is this dude filming in portrait?" And because that makes the video so tall, the part with you in it is a smaller section of the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokay444