• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EP-5 or something else?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
Arken is running a sale on their optics for 25% off and the EP-5 is tempting. I am about to send my SH-4 in for an RMA, but am tempted to pick this up because having mag up to 25x would be nice. Total after tax is $430 and change.

I already have a 20 moa 34mm one piece mount I got from Arken last year. Curious if anyone has another suggestion for a sub $450 - $500 optic in a similar magnification range. Ideally 34mm, but not opposed to 30mm. This will be going on a 22lr to take out to 600 yards+ and mounting on other rifles to check how accurately they group.

I have 2 EP5’s and they are fine entry level scopes. I think I will keep them for a vet long time for shooting within 500 yards. Pass that you will start noticing a difference between the Arken and higher end ones like Mark 5 HD which is around $2K. And the difference is actually enough to impact ability to aim.

That’s the best scope you will find for $430.
I agree there’s probably a need for better glass if you’re trying to spot .22LR hits on steel at 600+
It would be just fine to see the targets just not sure about spotting the hits. For $430 though, if it doesn’t work you will get that out of it in the PX for sure.

Reactions: Gohring65
Swap that SH4 for a brand new replacement EP5 you'll be much happier.

Reactions: db2000
I have 2 EP5’s and they are fine entry level scopes. I think I will keep them for a vet long time for shooting within 500 yards. Pass that you will start noticing a difference between the Arken and higher end ones like Mark 5 HD which is around $2K. And the difference is actually enough to impact ability to aim.
Seems like it might just be worth waiting to get one of those and stick with the SH-4. I've had it for over a year so I can't really exchange it for an EP-5

Something that hit me is that I could also get the EP-5, and when the SH-4 replacement comes in just sell that for... idk $250 or something? I haven't checked what people would buy one for.

Something that hit me is that I could also get the EP-5, and when the SH-4 replacement comes in just sell that for... idk $250 or something? I haven't checked what people would buy one for.
Isn't the SH4 $225 with the current 25% off discount?

I don't see why not even after a year. Offer to pay the difference between both when they're having to warranty the SH4 anyway and send a replacement?

The EP5 is hands down superior to the SH4.

Reactions: FuhQ
Isn't the SH4 $225 with the current 25% off discount?

I don't see why not even after a year. Offer to pay the difference between both when they're having to warranty the SH4 anyway and send a replacement?

The EP5 is hands down superior to the SH4.
Right, I was throwing a number out there. I have a few friends I asked who said they are fine buying the SH-4 off me once it gets replaced for $200.

I asked them and they didn't respond. When I asked again when they sent the RMA link they didn't respond either 🤷‍♂️ I ordered the EP-5 since it looks like I have some local buyers for the EP-5. Probably should have just gone with the EP-5 initially, but hindsight is 20/20.

Appreciate everyone's input!

Right, I was throwing a number out there. I have a few friends I asked who said they are fine buying the SH-4 off me once it gets replaced for $200.

I asked them and they didn't respond. When I asked again when they sent the RMA link they didn't respond either 🤷‍♂️ I ordered the EP-5 since it looks like I have some local buyers for the EP-5. Probably should have just gone with the EP-5 initially, but hindsight is 20/20.

Appreciate everyone's input!
Don't have to limit the sale of your SH4 to only $200. There were a lot of real genuine idiots who paid $700+ for them last year on the used market believe it or not at the peak of all the shilling going on before Arken lowered their prices across the board. You could also sell it locally on Craigslist and list it (brand new) for $325 and just go from there since there are way more idiots who will gladly pay more money than they should in today's society than you might realize. Just look at the classifieds here you always see a lot of sellers selling their used scopes for more than you can buy them brand new if you shop around and buy from certain vendors for way cheaper. I bet most scope buyers just pay regular street prices for their scopes and don't even bother to shop around for the best prices and often wonder why no takers when they try to relist them for sale later even brand new on the box unless they're actually fishing for the idiots who don't know that they can be bought for a good discount.

Just be sure to sell it AFTER the 25% sale is OVER.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkepticalTiger
Good idea. I'm not in a rush to sell either. Really was just looking to offset some of the cost of the EP-5 I ordered. Appreciate the input! Looking forward to the upgrade.

That’s what I was about to suggest after reading your post above. This is your best bet IMO. Then sell the EP5 if you’re unhappy. This is why there’s always “mounted never fielded” scopes for sale in the PX.

Athlon helos gen 2 6-24x56 is superior to the Arken in glass, turrets are a wash. Parallax is less sensitive as well.
The ep5 is a great scope for the money, I sold mine after spending some time with both and really picking things apart at long range with them. The 4x zoom seems to give a better eye box than the 5x zoom of the Arken. That can make a huge difference when you put a lot of cant into your base, the ep5 got really hard to look thru with 40 moa base/ring set up, way less eye fatigue with the helos. The Arken was like looking thru a very skinny pipe and the glass was distorting the image because of it being on the edge of the lenses when at 100 yard zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: db2000
Athlon helos gen 2 6-24x56 is superior to the Arken in glass, turrets are a wash. Parallax is less sensitive as well.
The ep5 is a great scope for the money, I sold mine after spending some time with both and really picking things apart at long range with them. The 4x zoom seems to give a better eye box than the 5x zoom of the Arken. That can make a huge difference when you put a lot of cant into your base, the ep5 shot really hard to look thru with 40 moa base/ring set up, way less eye fatigue with the helos. The Arken was like looking thru a very skinny pipe and the glass was distorting the image because of it being on the edge of the lenses when at 100 yard zero.
I’m gonna try one out. Thanks

Reactions: Gohring65
Arken is running a sale on their optics for 25% off and the EP-5 is tempting. I am about to send my SH-4 in for an RMA, but am tempted to pick this up because having mag up to 25x would be nice. Total after tax is $430 and change.

I already have a 20 moa 34mm one piece mount I got from Arken last year. Curious if anyone has another suggestion for a sub $450 - $500 optic in a similar magnification range. Ideally 34mm, but not opposed to 30mm. This will be going on a 22lr to take out to 600 yards+ and mounting on other rifles to check how accurately they group.
We are honoring Arkens 25% Off Sale through July 4th, on all their scopes and their accessories, for those that would like to reach out to discuss their products. Always our pleasure to assist the members here.

That’s what I was about to suggest after reading your post above. This is your best bet IMO. Then sell the EP5 if you’re unhappy. This is why there’s always “mounted never fielded” scopes for sale in the PX.
Right, I thought I would use it more but just got busy. Now that I have a more precision dedicated 22lr build or at least something I'll take out longer more often, I'm using a higher mag scope.

The ep5 is a great scope for the money, I sold mine after spending some time with both and really picking things apart at long range with them. The 4x zoom seems to give a better eye box than the 5x zoom of the Arken. That can make a huge difference when you put a lot of cant into your base, the ep5 got really hard to look thru with 40 moa base/ring set up, way less eye fatigue with the helos. The Arken was like looking thru a very skinny pipe and the glass was distorting the image because of it being on the edge of the lenses when at 100 yard zero.
I'll keep that in mind. I intend to take the EP-5 to my outdoor range before the 30 day return period once I get it zeroed for 50 and 100. Possible 3rd option would be if the EP-5 isn't to my liking I return that, sell the SH-4 and use the money towards the BTR Gen 2.

Reactions: Scopeye and db2000
Right, I thought I would use it more but just got busy. Now that I have a more precision dedicated 22lr build or at least something I'll take out longer more often, I'm using a higher mag scope.

I'll keep that in mind. I intend to take the EP-5 to my outdoor range before the 30 day return period once I get it zeroed for 50 and 100. Possible 3rd option would be if the EP-5 isn't to my liking I return that, sell the SH-4 and use the money towards the BTR Gen 2.
The Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 for $565.49 at Walmart online with free shipping and free returns is worth trying and it's pretty dang clear even at it's 27x maximum magnification and way lighter than the EP5 in fact it will smoke it on image quality on high magnification and turrets are reliable and feel great almost as great as the Arken turrets some might even say they are tied. The Ares BTR Gen 2 typically sells for $869.99 everywhere else. You simply won't find them selling for this cheap even on Black Friday sale. You would need to buy a $900-$1000 Athlon Ares ETR or Burris XTR3 for $1200-$1300 in order to beat it. Not even the new $699.99 Bushnell Match Pro ED can match it's quality and it's also better than the $900-$1000 Bushnell Forge.