• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ep. 99 .308 for training question for you guys.

Jakerz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Statesville, NC
So I've pretty much talked myself into a AX308, just need to call Mike with some questions after I get some other stuff finished up. I was driving back home last night listening to the podcasts that I've missed and this was one of them, I was was actually thinking of this before I listened to the episode. I haven't shot anything past 100 yards much at all and I'm planning on signing up for one of the classes at Core and hopefully one of Frank's classes in Colorado this year. My question is: If I ordered an AX in .308 to train and work on my fundamentals, do y'all think it would hold me back in the classes and maybe a few local matches over say a 6.5 Creed? I know the cartridge is capable of everything I need it to do, just don't know if I should go with a .308 over a 6.5 if I'm getting the gun new.

I also realize I could just get a 6.5 and a .308 barrel, but then I have to deal with 2 types of ammo and I don't want to get into to much, as I plan on shooting a lot this year, lol

Jake

What @Eric32 said. I ran the 168s out of a 16.25 with .555bc 2470 and slapped 1K 4 outta 5. Miss the last shot because I got greedy. If you do a 20" you will do good things for your fundamental training and wind calling. Swap to a 6mm in a year and you will give people a run for their money. If you are going to a class and want to learn, 308 is good for that. Don't sweat falling behind, people are always worried they will "look bad"...just remember why you are there.

I’m getting 2741 with 178 ELD’s and a 24 inch barrel. It gives up some performance against my 6.5, but not terrible. If you’re trying to win it’s probably not the right choice, if you’re trying to learn and have fun the 308 is fine. That’s my opinion anyway.

I get about 2400 with factory Federal GMM SMK 175s with a 16.5 inch barrel. Between 800 and 1000 with the twitchy winds at the Sac Valley Shooting center range 12 it gets tough. I think the TBRC competitors can vouch for that.

If you get a 6.5 Creedmoor you'll still get at least 2500-3000 rounds, if not more, or true match grade accuracy. That's quite a bit of shooting and you can spin on a replacement when needed.

It won’t hold you back. If you are starting from scratch, sure, go 6.5 over .308, but if your rifle comes with a .308 just shoot it for a bit. If you’ve barely shot over 100 yards, i would just focus on getting trigger time with your current setup.

I’ve run matches with .308 and 6.5 creed...didn’t place better with one vs the other. I’ve regularly taken short .308’s (like my 16.75” AIAT) out to ~900 yds and from one of the episodes I remember, Frank and Mike took short .308’s out to 1200+ yds.

Once you buy the rifle, there is a ton of shit you’ll want to accompany you in your shooting ventures. Put the re-barrel off for a bit and get your setup dialed in.

Reactions: Basher
Solid advice above. If you’re a new shooter, the 6.5CM won’t make enough of a difference to matter unless you’re a born natural. I’d run it as-is and spend time and funds getting everything else dialed in.

Also, .308 match ammo can often be found cheaper than 6.5CM. For instance, I found two cases of .308 FGMM 185 Juggernauts (400rnds total) for $348 shipped recently. Keep your eyes peeled and good deals can be had!

Reactions: kRcu
168 ELDM is my go to bullet in 308 right now. Shoots the best out of my 18", 1:11 barrel than anything else so far. Like you I'm still pretty new to long range precision. I need to get a decent chrony, next on my list.

The AX308 is a damn fine rig, you wont be disappointed. 308 is good for cutting your teeth on.

Reactions: Mag1c-Mik3