• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Epander ball or not? Redding S dies

Re: Epander ball or not? Redding S dies

If you want to reload with any degree of precision, get a mandrel. I wouldn't use an expander ball for either forming necks or attempting to achieve anything close to consistent neck tension.

If you run a certain bushing size for the neck, the expander ball will change the diameter of the case neck. As long as the case necks are not dented in or damaged, run it without the expander ball. If some get dinged up, run them over the expander ball, then neck only size them.

I remove the ball and add a pass over the Sinclair expander. I size down a bushing then use the expander to push any neck inconsistencies to the outside. Leaves me with perfect neck tension.

No idea if it's necessary, but someone far more experienced than me said do it. Has produced good results for me so far.

I called redding a couple weeks back and asked them about it. The guy I talked to, said to use the expander. After talking with several folks that roll they're own, and shoot tiny one hole groups and get many reloads per case, I ditched the expander and no longer use it.
Ended up ordering an S neck die and the S bushing, according to they're little formula for figuring it out. Lapua brass, .243, 115 bn dtacs, .275 neck chamber, .2725-.273 loaded outside neck dia, .....ordered a .270 S bushing which gives me what seems to be perfect and consistent neck tension.

Accuracy went from pretty impressive to can't hardly get any better with the new setup!

Tried without the expander ball using the non-s neck die, and quickly found out that trick doesn't work. It necked down to like .266, which would shave the bullets badly when seating them.

Stan,
If you're running a gas gun that dings up the mouths, then I'd use the ball. If no dings, then run the bushing 0.002" or so under the final loaded dimension.
Some dinged, some not? Put the dinged ones in a separate box and run them with the ball after the rest are done only with the bushing. If you're really anal, you can then go back and resize those with only the bushing, but I don't think you're that anal.

Beautiful bride,

I went from using standard dies when I started, to wilson hand dies for some rifles, and I'm back to using redding type s dies with the balls in. The biggest problem with expander balls is that they can pull the neck off center, as many of you already know. If concentricity isn't suffering, there isn't much of a downside. I don't like having to iron out dented necks by hand. I am using the floating carbide bushings in some calibers and the standard ball in others. If you own a concentricity guage, it's a snap to determine if the dies are working properly.

Another thing, if using the standard expander ball, chuck it in a drill and polish the sizing surface. Just enought to break off that tumbled finish. You'll need less lube, and the effort required during sizing drops dramatically.

In not using the expander ball do you have any problems with
inside neck reaming on neck turned brass?