• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Episode 118 scope setup

M113A3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2018
San Francisco
About to set up a new scope and there was a good overview of the set up. My question is about scope height. I have only set up one and I got it as close to the barrel as possible with clearance for the scope caps. I recall that at least one podcast talked about getting as low as possible was not the right thing for tactical bolt guns..? I don't know if I imagined that I heard this or not... is there a newer rule of thumb..?

Thanks!

Being able to run the bolt without your hand smacking the scope is a consideration. Depending on bolt throw, scope size, how you grasp the bolt, and the size of your hand , you might need to raise the scope for clearance. Some rifle, scope, and shooter combos require tall rings and then an adjustable check piece.

Reactions: M113A3
Try to get it as low as possible with decent clearance, don't have the objective just 0.1mm off the barrel for obvious reasons.

Getting low was not in reference to the scope, beyond maybe I was saying with an adjustable cheek piece

I would have to listen, you want it low, but it not paramount it be so close

With the adjustability in the rifle, and with the software doing a lot of work for us, the Scope over Bore is not a critical consideration but something to look at in the context of the setup. If you cannot adjust your cheek it's critical if you can adjust it, it's not as big a deal

Some actions do throw the bolt very close to the scope so you have to look at that too, bolt handle size etc.

Reactions: M113A3
I plan to find the sweet spot and then place the scope on and go from there and find the best balance.

Thanks - love the podcast.