• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Episode 127 mental prep

DarinC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2018
Just wanted to thanks to Mike and Adam for this one. Lots of good little pieces for rookies such as myself to take into account to try and take some of the stress out of your first matches. Good work fellas.

Same. It's easy to convince yourself that you've got it all dialed in and are ready for a match, but after choking at a match and having an easy time hitting the small 1000y targets on a lazy Sunday afternoon, it's obvious that this is a real issue.

Reactions: Mag1c-Mik3
I just listened to this episode as well and I enjoyed the points brought up.

Something that I thought was extremely key (That you mentioned) was having a buddy/partner to shoot with. Not only does this create some accountability, but also someone to bounce ideas off, and do AARs with. The AAR portion I find extremely helpful. I'm extremely fortunate to get to shoot with my wife, so we talk about matches, practice, wind, etc. all the time. I've also been blessed in that I get to teach her, and this constantly makes me better as well.

I know Frank has brought it up before, and I'm glad it was brought up again, but the endurance aspect of this game to finish a match strong is extremely significant. At the beginning of every match, my wife is kicks my ass, and most everyone else's too... but as the day goes on, she starts to fade. It's tough to stay sharp and focused throughout an entire day; especially if the weather is less than ideal. With all the attention to detail required, you've gotta keep sharp, and treat every trigger pull like the first one of the day...

I used to shoot USPSA, and I picked up a book several years ago:
Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals - By Brian Enos

This book can be applied to so much more than pistol shooting, and can even be applied to life in general, as it focuses so much on the mental aspects. Something that has helped me specifically from this book is being more tuned into awareness, and focusing completely on the present tense.

Here are a few quotes I'll leave you with from Brian's book:
"If I can function in the present tense and thereby allow focus and awareness to control my shooting, each performance will be consistent with my current skill level."

"As long as you shoot, your technique will change, but once you have developed the technical skills, the changes come from within -- not from more mechanical tricks. Accept that after the mechanics, there is shooting.:

"The truth beyond the technique. The application beyond the analysis. The means beyond the methods. Here's where we stop thinking & start shooting."

"Don't ever feel content with what you see. You could possibly see more. Learn to see things that you don't normally see."

"See what you need to see, no matter how long it takes. If you rush, and you miss, your vision is not with the gun."

"Relax AS YOU SHOOT; not just before you squeeze the trigger."

Great quotes! Gonna have to put some of those up in my reloading room. Even if only on a sticky note.
Book added to cart

Reactions: Laughing_Jackal
Brian Enos is the man.
I shot a "fun match" last weekend (Aren't all matches for fun though??) that was all positional, with a lot of movement. The targets were all inside of 700yds and pretty large. The course of fire was 80rds over 8 stages.

I ended up shooting a 78/80. My two shots that I dropped were on the first stage of the day. One was a legit miss, the second one I shot the wrong target.

Before the match, I told myself I really wanted to work on applying as much focus on the present tense as possible for every shot, put a lot of focus on my reticle.... driving my focus all the way through the process... Really try to sync up that "eye, mind, finger" relationship. Before each stage (except for the first stage obviously), I ran through it in my mind, in depth.. imagining every detail.

I feel like the mental game/endurance is really what's going to set shooters apart.

Reactions: DarinC
The original mental coach that happens to be a previous Olympian Gold Medal marksman. He has a great program that works for all sports, test taking and life in general.

Great thread. The mental game isn’t flashy, it isn’t very market-able, but it’s what the top guys do really well. And, as mentioned above, it transfers into many other parts of life.

Reactions: Laughing_Jackal