• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Episode 59 Question

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    During episode 59, I heard that you should set your wind reading to zero on the kestrel to determine the AJ effect. I think I understand but am not sure.

1. If I zero in the wind, isn't AJ taken into account with the zero?
    2. Do I use the zero wind elevation as a comparison to the elevation predicted by the Kestrel in the presence of wind that it measures? I would assume the difference is the AJ component.
    3. If 2 is correct, how do I use the AJ component to adjust it out when shooting different stages at different distances and perhaps a different wind condition on the same day?
    Thank you in advance as this topic in particular is hard to understand for reason #1 above.

You have to two Wind Segments in there, WS1 and WS2

The AJ feature is wrong, so we want to remove it. The way you remove it is setting WS 1 to 0 and using WS 2 only

So we set WS 1 to 0, and just use the other zone

AJ happens at the muzzle, you already zeroed it out. if you get very strong winds, over 12MPH you can see a vertical component to it. But that is 12MPH over your zero wind, so if you zeroed your rifle in a 6MPH it starts to be visible around 18MPH give or take. (Terrain matters too, there are several factors at work here)

But don't use AJ, it's wrong and a fancy buzzword

I turn everything off or at least as much as they let me, we true our ballistics to real-world data, that real-world data has everything included. If you hit a target at 1000 yards using 7.5 Mils, it includes every factor in that data. What happens is guys true to 7.5 but then add in the BS Factors they include like CE, SD, and AJ, in which case they will add to the elevation or subtract from it, skewing the data. Turn it off and drive on, they are wrong anyway

Reactions: tnc
    Thank you very much LL.

Based on your earlier recommendations I have turned SD and Coriolis off but never knew how to turn AJ off. I also didn't know about the 12mph rule.

Appreciate your response and will adopt it go forward

Thanks again

You have to two Wind Segments in there, WS1 and WS2

The AJ feature is wrong, so we want to remove it. The way you remove it is setting WS 1 to 0 and using WS 2 only

So we set WS 1 to 0, and just use the other zone
    W1 and W2 are not wind segments or zones like in FFS or CB. They are low and high wind values, which is a huge difference, so AB does not Multiple Winds at all.

Here Doc explains this well enough.
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/kestrel-4500-w1-and-w2-values-adjustment.3892951/

W1 is you low wind value, W2 is your high wind value. How you apply them, applies to the style of shooting you are doing. I prefer to share the bracketing method. Take the two winds, split the difference and dial that. Then on low wind, hold low, and on the high wind value hold high.

Yes, it handles it differently than FFP and CB but it still says WS 1 and WS 2 in the kestrel and we zero out the WS 1 to prevent it from using the AJ.

It's WS 1, wind speed, wind segment, whatever you want to call it, but it adds in AJ. Even when entering 0 into WS 1, you get a value for it. But we ignore that value and go to WS 2 as our average

By setting WS 1 to 0, you remove it.

Never said it worked the same as FFS or CB only that we set it to 0... that fact does not change.

Yes, it handles it differently than FFP and CB but it still says WS 1 and WS 2 in the kestrel and we zero out the WS 1 to prevent it from using the AJ.

It's WS 1, wind speed, wind segment, whatever you want to call it, but it adds in AJ. Even when entering 0 into WS 1, you get a value for it. But we ignore that value and go to WS 2 as our average

By setting WS 1 to 0, you remove it.

Never said it worked the same as FFS or CB only that we set it to 0... that fact does not change.
    Your right the fact does not change, good call!

So to reiterate for clarity, when using the Kestrel with AB, always set WS1 to zero, in order to cancel out the AJ.

Then, only use WS2 for your wind call, where it is probably best to put the average wind speed in and then adjust from that average as needed.

Is that correct? I'm definitely no whiz with solvers, and my Kestrel has always seemed slightly off, over lots of different conditions. I've now recently shut off SD and I hope that will help.

I used my Kestrel pretty hardcore this last weekend at the SHTC in Colville, every stage was technically a UKD as you had to find the targets, Range the targets (with a laser) and engage the targets, all on the clock.

I the kestrel was spot on where in the past I too have had random issues requiring a re-zero.

My steps include:

1. Use real MV
    2. Adjust BC for my bullet at distance. (800 yards minimum)
    3. Fine Tune MV to complete truing
    4. Set WS 1 to 0
    5. Use WS 2

Worked out great for me this weekend and when fine-tuning my MV the change was less than 25fps

Reactions: MarinePMI and SLG