• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Episode 67 Alaskans Ruger Precision Rifles

SFeldt

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
What triggers are all the guys running In their RPRs. I cant decided if its worth going to an aftermarket trigger or not.

Some run timney, most are stock

We tell guys that are ready for the next level to get a Timney

The upgrades we recommend are:

1. Seekins Handguard,
2. Magpul PRS
3. Timney Trigger

For the scope we recommend it's the NF SHV and for the bipod the Elite Iron Revolution

I have the newer RPR with the mlok rail and its decent. I already put the prs stock on it and a 26 inch bartlein with a little bastard. I'm running a 7-35 nightforce for optics. I'm just not happy with the stock trigger but I'm reading mixed reviews on the timney.

a $220 dollar timney seems kind of a drop in the bucket with the $4000 worth of scope-bbl and break you already invested.
I have a timney CE 2stage on a mostly stock bergara lrp and it does well...sometimes it feels a little inconsistent

Yeah your right. I dont have a problem dropping money on quality parts. Buy once cry once. I do however have an issue buying something with so many inconsistent reviews. That's why I'm asking.

There were some random fitment issues with the Timney triggers, I believe they sorted that out, I have not heard of issues beyond the initial fit.

No reports of issues beyond that I have seen, if they drop in okay they seem to be good

Ruger has a really solid entry-level product with the RPR. There are others, of course, like Tikka, and all will require upgrades to personalize to get the most out of the "build". Your best money spent is to upgrade to a rifle buttstock with vertical lift if you shoot alot of prone. Toss the pistol grip and fit a better, more vertical one for cheap money. Ergo, Flip-Grip, etc. The stock barrels perform pretty well as is with few exceptions, but an aftermarket K&P with a heavier contour will always produce a better result if weight is not an issue to you. Suppress it. Be civilized.

I built mine because Frank and I were seeing so many come through the Course in Alaska and we shoot as instructors. I wanted to share in their experience, not demo with a custom rifle and expect them to shoot as well with the stock rifle.

An Elite Iron Revolution bipod will take any shooter and rifle to a whole new level in prone. Order one up and you will never look back. Chances are it can be moved through each of your rifles anyway once you get rid of the ridiculous sling swivel stud(s).

Curious what you're seeing with the elite iron. I have one, and of course, the wider base is a benefit. But I still shoot the same, with a harris or atlas. My actual favorite bipod is an RPS, but it is less universal.

To be brutally honest, your fundamentals are shat if you recoil they same with an Atlas, Harris and Elite Iron. Your control of the rifle may be so minimal that you would not appreciate the difference. The Elite Iron is the only bipod that actually hangs your barrel within the triangle of stability, not teetering it upon that triangle. Given the proper pressure to the rear with the graspers of the shooting hand, your rifle has no choice but to recoil along the line of departure, even with a heavy-recoiling .338LM. Maybe you have no vertical lift in your butt pad? I’m grasping here... but I’d love to see you shoot and I’ll immediately point out what the problem is. Thanks for being honest. I am also. Nothing personal.

No offense taken. I shoot almost every day. I make my money on fundamentals. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, short as it was. I said I shoot the same. My down range performance is no different. I didn't say the recoil impulse was the same, or that the steadiness of the gun was the same. There are obviously differences between those bipods, and some of them take more work than others to get the job done. The point is, when you do the work, the results are there. IME, good shooting is not a result of which bipod you use.

You are an EI dealer, no? You're selling $1000 guns to students, and telling them to put $600 bipods on them. Most would probably recommend spending that money on a better scope, rifle or more ammo. I don't necessarily disagree with your recommendation, but what I don't get is the next part.

"An Elite Iron Revolution bipod will take any shooter and rifle to a whole new level in prone."

Are you saying that before the EI came about, you couldn't shoot well from prone? I've always liked top of the line gear, but it is the shooter, not the gear that matters. I understand recoil control, and if you noticed, my preferred bipod is the RPS, which is very similar to the EI in how it handles stability and recoil.

So, back to my original question, slightly more fleshed out, what are you seeing with the EI bipod that makes you say what you said? Is it the recoil control, or is there more? You guys are shooting on dirt up there, right? Have you shot the EI on cement? What do you see in that case?