• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Episode 99: how do you measure bullet speeds at distance

ViP

Alaska Precision PR1 and PR2
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2018
Canada
Hello. During the episode, I heard you guys talk about the speed of a bullet at a specific distance. How do you calculate that? Thanks.

Using your ballistic calculator it can estimate your MV at any distance based off your input of your starting MV. You could calculate it yourself but it’s a long formula.

Using your ballistic calculator it can estimate your MV at any distance based off your input of your starting MV. You could calculate it yourself but it’s a long formula.
Thanks. For a moment I thought they were measuring it with doppler. Ignorance is bliss...not

Actually it's not that hard. Just reverse engineer it. What I mean is that your dope will tell you mv at range. It's not like snipers are gods. Just simple math. And the reason for simple math? For people to lazy to find out what is actual. So just screw math and find out what it is by shooting all yardage and seeing what your dope is. Or just use an online app and then you have something to blame when you miss. Because you will.

Reactions: ViP
Ummm...doesn't the Ladradar measure velocity at distance?

Interesting, as I thought that that was the main advantage of a Labradar. Good to know (thanks!).

I have all this stuff,

The Labradar the best range I have gotten a reading is 72 yards... does not work for downrange in its current form

An Oakwood Tech H Bar and my software has the MV feature turned on, it's complicated, and expensive but works

An Acoustic SuperChrony can work a bit but you have to be really good at lining it up and you must be supersonic

Reversing the numbers using software is the easiest if you have the dope to work the numbers. Which we always have the dope.

You can also use the new Shotmarker target, which is not as pricey as the Oakwood unit, plus you can make frames and size you'd like.