• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Episodes 66-67 bipod too short?

Ricker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
There were several mentions of guys using too short of a bipod in the Alaska precision training classes specifically that the 6-9 was too short and the 9-13 on higher settings provided a better shooting position. Is there more context to the statements because it seems strange and uncomfortable to me? I'm wondering if the comments were mainly based on physical limitations of the shooters? Possibly their equipment?

I've never had any formal training so maybe I just started off with bad habits? My prone shooting is mostly in the PRS game and normally have my 6-9 on the lowest setting for anything inside 600 or so yards. I obviously need to extend the legs for longer distances, if the targets are elevated from the shooting position, shooting from a down sloping position... but I rarely have the legs fully extended unless it is a combination of the exceptions. The high prone and super high prone positions get uncomfortable real quick for me.

Thanks and keep the podcasts going!

That is too low, the context is, you need to be off your forearms and on your elbows so your wrist is straight

Eliminating angles is the key, most are too low and have their heads down.

To be perfectly frank, PRS shooters focus on speed and are sloppy fundamentalist and have a lot of very bad habits. If I saw myself in a video looking like a PRS Shooter I would trash the footage and not show it. it's a lot of bad habits which tend to be acceptable because speed and 2 MOA targets are involved.

Laying on the rifle is not a position, most drop on top versus have their head straight

Body type determines the amount of height, but we still don't advocate laying on the rifle or melting into ground. Look at the images from class we posted its pretty clear, 99% of guys are too low.

Reactions: kthomas
IMG_8817e.jpg
IMG_8859e.jpg

I am 5'2" and look at the height on my Atlas, my body is straight and square, my head is up, I am in a word Comfortable as I can stay here all day, and my hand and wrist are straight

Reactions: winniedonkey
Looks like I need to figure out some new stuff in the next practice match.

Thanks,

Would this also depend on where your target is located? For example, if your target is up higher on a hill or mountain, you would probably have the bipod up higher. If you were shooting at a lower angle you may have it lower. This could also change based on what kind of terrain you are laying on. If you are laying slightly over a hill, or on the back side of a hill. This is more a thing I have noticed when in a hunting situation. I think the takeaway is don't be afraid to adjust your equipment.

I'm the shooter in the top photo. What Frank and I do is start the shooters out higher than they are used to and work them down to where they are "comfortable" and in solid control of the rifle, directly behind the "line of departure". Shooters generally flop down and do not take the extra time to set up properly. In a learning environment, where they are behind the rifle for long periods of time, this is very important to consistency. As a comp shooter, all you have to do is approach the stage with your bipod already set at your comfort level instead of collapsed. As you can see, I have paint marks on my bipod legs for level shooting. I just extend until I can see the first paint mark and everything will be legit for me. Try this for yourself and you will see, in your living room, with an empty rifle, that you can be much more comfortable AND in total control of recoil.

View attachment 6915071View attachment 6915072
I am 5'2" and look at the height on my Atlas, my body is straight and square, my head is up, I am in a word Comfortable as I can stay here all day, and my hand and wrist are straight

Pictures really helped put the info I have heard you say over time into perspective. I'm jumping on the damn online lessons.

Question for you, is there a height range a rear bag should be in that would fit most shooters if they adjusted to a more elevated prone position?

Tried this Monday. I need to move my bipod down a couple notches I think. I was comfortable but every time I shot I would lose my eye relief

When I read the phrase “behind the line of departure”, that was brilliant. It gave me a great visualization as to the preferred alIgnment of barrel, shoulders and bipod position. I’m apparently missing something however as I tried raising the bipod legs and getting a bit more “up on the elbows”. I found that induced some muscle fatigue and I had to crane my head over the butt of the rifle to get full edge to edge sight picture through the scope. I think I’ll start over and make small, incremental adjustments and we’ll see if that works.

Reactions: Enough Said