• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Epoxy for binding sling mounts?

recurry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Hi All,

I've got a remington 700 in an H.S. precision stock. One of the problems I have is the sling mounts keep coming loose. I've tried a couple of different two-part epoxies, the most recent being some kind of "iron weld" adhesive, which worked good for about 3 months until it broke loose again.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good epoxy to use for binding sling mounts semi-permanently? Anything you might have used with good success?

Someone gave me a tube of Loctite Metal Magic Steel - but it seems like that's more a metal filling compound. It's a putty that you have to knead then work into a hole - I'm also wondering if that's a bad idea or if that might be the right stuff? I was thinking that if I worked that putty into the sling mount threads, then turned the sling screw in, it would probably dry and seize pretty seriously, but it would probably ruin the sling mount right? I'd probably never be able to break it loose again...

Anyway, just looking for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Re: Epoxy for binding sling mounts?

I used a flexable adhesive called e4000 or something like that. (just because I had it around)
They will turn right out, but only if I want them to. Sometimes a gasket type material is better suited than a solid bond.