• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

equipment vs. skill

Bruiser_Joe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2009
Hell
figured i would link this here. Some people on this site need to read this.

Equipment vs. Skilll | Modern Service Weapons

The firearms industry is driven by the aftermarket, not necessarily the weapon manufacturers themselves. Through advertising, aftermarket manufacturers convince the average shooter that they “need” every trinket and gizmo to make themselves a better shooter. This seems to be a never ending battle I have with people, convincing them which is more important the software or hardware.

A fast shooter is fast not because of his equipment which SO SO SO many people can't grasp. A person isn't a good shot because of the rifle he/she holds, the rifle is accurate because of the person holding it. I’ve used this analogy before, you cannot purchase muscle memory and no matter how many things you bolt onto your gun the shot timer will not reflect large improvements without rounds sent down range. You can’t rent experience, or borrow the needed skill to make a difficult shot, make it through an actual gunfight or life threatening situation. Those reflexes and abilities are earned on the range, too many people focus on the tool and not the skill to use it.

A mechanic isn’t the person with the shiniest snap on tool box and fanciest tools, he has built up years of experience that helps him do his job efficiently and right the first time. I get asked a lot about what drills I would recommend to become a better shot with a precision rifle. I would venture to say, most good instructors can get new students the same or better results and smaller groups in an afternoon with a iron sighted 22lr or scoped 22lr at 50 yards then a 308, 6.5 creedmor or equivalent. The same can be said of a carbine with iron sights or a standard glock 9mm without all the work everyone thinks they absolutely need to put into it.

Now am i saying that these things, additions, technology doesn’t help in some aspect? No I am not, I would venture to ask do most people even know the reason they put all the pic rail attachment items, or modifications on their gun? Other then they saw their favorite youtube, high speed instructor using it that way? Each person brings different dimensions, hand sizes, eye dominance, previous injuries to the table that will lead to changes in body position, grip, what gun is comfortable, trigger finger placement, what sight someone prefers, shape of trigger, stock they put on a gun, or any million other modifications you can make to your personal firearm.

Have a good reason and know why each modification is for you and why, it will only help to make you a better shooter and have a much better understanding of your shooting style and skill level. I challenge anyone to start basic, shoot till your fingers bleed, and then shoot some more. Burn some barrels out, get your hands on as many different options as possible for everything before deciding that just because instructor X uses it that way it’s the way for you.

^^^^^Nice read but I've got Spin-D.

It's all about rounds down range--whether IPSC, Tactical, bench, F-Class, hunting, all the same. I will say the quality of the equipment can and joy and additional fun to the range. If new toys get you out there more--well that's a win/win.

I'm no pro; I have no justification for most the guns I own other than they make me happy--and I enjoy the hell out of shooting them. My passion is hunting and shooting, has been since I was a youngster. From the red rider, to the Sheridan pump 20 cal, to my first 22lr and all the many shotguns and center-fires thereafter. Looking back, I have done competitive shooting of some sort since 6th grade, whether archery, skeet, sporting clays, limited IPSC, some benchrest and now dabbling in f-class. Master of none--but fun at all.

Quality equipment makes one know the error is them, not the gear. I won't comment on the rail stuff--most of it is unknown to me--looks cool but over the top at times, mostly because I have not had experience with it.

I do miss the days when guns looked like gun, not some storm-trooper movie prop--but that's just me showing some age.

Occasionally, someone will post a video of a high speed, low drag guy firing a dozen accurate rounds in a nano second. I always look forward to someone replying, "I wonder how well he would do with my box stock hand cannon." Haven't been disappointed, yet.

I have a S&W Performance Center 15-22 (which just replaced my H&K D145RS (.22LR AR) with iron sights for this very reason. I use it to teach family members, friends, and their children. Ive had people go from struggling to group on paper, to hitting all six 1 1/2 inch steel targets at 50m in just a couple hours. The old saying its the Indian not the Arrow stays true in a lot of things.

A good trigger, quality instruction and practice with a purpose (not just banging away) are the path to better shooting. The last two will teach you how to teach yourself. Also, shooting with guys above your level will push you to do better

Screw you guys and your so-called "practice" - I'm buying my capabilities. 'Merica!

From an Old Fart's perspective,I am with the OP but do like to shoot some of this new computer aged neat stuff.
Sometimes when I go to the range I get to do that but prefer to shoot the rifles I have had for many years and know how to load for.
A week and a half ago I watched two nerd newbies trying to zero a nice new rifle with all the good stuff. More brand new kit than I ever saw before.
They fired 22 rds and were still trying to figure out which way to turn the knobs. One asked me if I knew what they were doing wrong, so I helped them do a 2 shot sandbag zero. They were then on the paper and I showed them how to do click adj. and within 10 rds. they thought they had it all going other than, "How do you adjust for the 2-3 inches between where we shoot 5 and you get yours in a small circle?" I told them practice and the adjustments are between you ears."
I thought things were all go so went back to my rifle for a few pokes.
The nerd then came over and said,"What kind of a stick are you shooting and what pills that give you those kinds of groups?"
It was time for a blood pressure pill as my pressure relief valve was now open.
I handed him my rifle and said,"This is a Sako action and Douglas barrel that my Uncle handed down to me many years ago. That is one of the finest pieces of walnut that he could find and make that stock from and fit it to me. Pills are what I am taking now to keep me from being really pissed off about hearing you call this rifle a stick." I wanted to throttle the guy.
I asked them to pick up their trash as I left.
I shot with them once after that and showed them other things, they knew they were shooting a rifle and shooting bullets out the end of the barrel, no mention of clips or anything else offensive so a good day was had by all. They even learned that they should save that brass they threw away before.
Enough from an Old Fart. FM

For me it's about making the gun fit me right and solving problems I encounter and accomplishing what I want to accomplish. I don't compete to show how good I am to other people--I'd fail miserably and I'd hate it if that were the case--but rather to find out for myself where I'm at now versus where I want to be. So I make choices on modifying what I work with and how I work with it based on how I do with what I have at the time. I'm just at the beginning of that process. There is no line between changing equipment and changing the person--it's both, all the time! Replace or adjust or practice or refine--it's a question of "or" it's a matter of "and".

An interesting and appropriate comparison can be drawn from golf. Arguably the greatest golfer who ever lived was Ben Hogan. When asked about his standards for how he figured he was doing well, he said that in a round of golf he played, if it was a good one he'd really like 4 shots out of the whole round. 4 out of 60-70 were what he wanted them to be, everything else was a varying degree of a miss that he'd like to do better but could get on playing in the meantime. His contemporary Byron Nelson was told of this and he replied "I'm nowhere near that perfection yet."

As to the matter of speed shooting being worthless, absolutely not. It brings out flaws and inefficiencies in ways not otherwise possible and makes them completely inescapable realities. So someone might not like the way it makes them look when they do it. It's much like how many women call another (usually more attractive) woman "inappropriate" or "slutty" for wearing an eye catching dress that looks better on her than it does on them, which they dare not wear in the first place because it would reveal their physical shortcomings. Similarly, sure there are people who go out and buy a bunch of stuff and blast away and waste lots of ammo turning money into noise, and it's disgusting. But it's just like someone wearing clothes that don't fit or they're not in shape enough to wear, and it makes them look trashy or ugly and you wish they'd rather not be out for you to endure having to see them. The former shows the need to slow down, practice, and adjust, and the latter needs more hours at the gym and the tailor shop. It's not the speed of the shooting or the design of the clothing that's bad, it's what it shows the person shooting or wearing to be.

Last edited:
Besides, if you buy all that cool shit and bolt it on your rifle, you will run out of excuses why you're all over the paper......like the auto gimmicks that save 5 mpg. Put them all on, and your car makes its own fuel, my father used to say.

Besides, if you buy all that cool shit and bolt it on your rifle, you will run out of excuses why you're all over the paper......like the auto gimmicks that save 5 mpg. Put them all on, and your car makes its own fuel, my father used to say.

I got shot in the wrist in Iraq, 14cm steel plate replaced both my radius and my ulna. 3 pins holding bones together in my hand. Needless to say I need all that gimmicky stuff on my rifle. My wrist doesn't bend, So I have to buy the tacticool toys to bend the rifle to my wrist. While I get what your saying, sometimes we need all those cool toys just to be able to shoot. But that's just me.

I have always been more of a rifle guy but lately I have been spending a lot more time with hand guns.. I put a 15 steel target out behind my shop (for stress reasons) when I get pissed or stressed. I pull out a hand gun go out back ad send some rounds down range.. What I am getting at is I have noticed a serious increase in accuracy and speed in acquiring the target. The max distance I can get from my target is 75 yards. When I started I would be lucky to hit the thing once at that distance now after about a year of shooting at that thing 3-4 times a week I am surprised if I miss it..

I started hunting when I was 4. I've had 1 rifle I tacticooled, sold it for less than the eotech on it, and none since. After 24 years of shooting, my favorite rifle is a handi rifle in .308 win with a 2.5x scope.

I like pistols too. I was surprised by how little holdover is necessary to hit a 2x2 target at 500yds. 9mm and 45acp do nothing to 3/16th steel at that range btw. .308 above 2300fps at the muzzle will... Usually.

I got shot in the wrist in Iraq, 14cm steel plate replaced both my radius and my ulna. 3 pins holding bones together in my hand. Needless to say I need all that gimmicky stuff on my rifle. My wrist doesn't bend, So I have to buy the tacticool toys to bend the rifle to my wrist. While I get what your saying, sometimes we need all those cool toys just to be able to shoot. But that's just me.

Sorry to hear it brother. Thanks for your service.

My pain in the wrist comes from twisting too many screwdrivers. Sako Hunter stock was built for us ;-)

The firearm is simply an instrument of the individual.
The individual makes the difference.
^^^^ This
All the money in the world or having every tacticool item can't/won't help you, when your being hunted. Being hunted for tagging a target is one thing, but being hunted for missing,... that would really suck! The old saying "Better to leak an return, than be the only one leaking,... because you suck at both"!
edit for spelling,...

Last edited:
I'd love to see this string "re-started" in the equipment section, just to get a full perspective. When one looks at the very fine post, "What the pros use", I'm not 100% satisfied that certain equipment/calibers does not deliver superior results, not just for the pros. Although, I am fairly certain the majority of the sentiment expressed is right on the money.

Last edited:
i only use gear that's operator as fuck, thus i shoot like an operator nuf said......seminar starts right after i finish my beer and sign up sheet starts below.

I always thought I was hot shit in Alaska, shooting my 1903 at 400 yards.

Inuit Indian (Alaska native NG guy from the village near Big Lake) stands up next to me with an AR15 and starts banging steel at 600 yards.
Now I've seen guys do that with service rifles, done it wiht Palma rifles and ATC rifles for a long time but back in the day seeing it done with no special gear.
It was impressive, Nothing but respect, those boys can shoot, doesn't matter what you give them either.

I shot quit a few matches with my Marlin mod 60 when I was young, silhouette styles. Did quite well.

I'm not in to the tacticool gear, some of it is nice, some if it is necessary for actual operators in the field but you still gotta know how to shoot.

Not to step on any of your guys nostalgia or strict views of the world... But I disagree with the direction of this thread.
A skilled marksman .5moa shooter using a 2moa firearm, will do no better than a 2moa shooter using a .5moa firearm.

It's not all about skill and it's not all about equipment. And it's not solely the Indian without consideration of the arrow. Just because it makes a cute jingle, doesn't make it true...

If you ask me, when it comes to rifles, and many of the disciplines that require you to just lay prone behind it, it's more the equipment than the skill. Blasphemy right? Somehow my wife has no training other than a general guidance from me (but still minimal follow thru and crosses her legs while shooting) and shoots tiny groups with my 308. Oh and rings the steel at a mile all the time...... On the other hand, give a skilled marksman an off the shelf Mosin or AK and we will see how he fares...

The reality of it is that it's always either the shooter or the equipment that is the limiting factor. To improve, you have to improve the limiting factor. I will agree that many times people try to go the easy route and improve their equipment when it's them that's the limits factor... But to say that it's always the skill of the shooter, is leaving half the equation out of the picture.

Last edited:
I see a lot of shooters experiencing problems with systems that may be more accurate than they are whether they're reliability issues or setups less than ideal for shooting off barricades, etc.

There's a lot of confidence that goes into knowing that your are the limiting factor in your equipment. LR shooting and competition is a big mental game and that confidence boost certainly does help.

Just because you drop a lot of coin doesn't mean you're going to take home the bacon but I'd rather have a mediocre performance and know what I did wrong than to wonder if it was me or my setup.

Not to step on any of your guys nostalgia or strict views of the world... But I disagree with the direction of this thread.
A skilled marksman .5moa shooter using a 2moa firearm, will do no better than a 2moa shooter using a .5moa firearm.

It's not all about skill and it's not all about equipment. And it's not solely the Indian without consideration of the arrow. Just because it makes a cute jingle, doesn't make it true...

If you ask me, when it comes to rifles, and many of the disciplines that require you to just lay prone behind it, it's more the equipment than the skill. Blasphemy right? Somehow my wife has no training other than a general guidance from me (but still minimal follow thru and crosses her legs while shooting) and shoots tiny groups with my 308. Oh and rings the steel at a mile all the time...... On the other hand, give a skilled marksman an off the shelf Mosin or AK and we will see how he fares...

The reality of it is that it's always either the shooter or the equipment that is the limiting factor. To improve, you have to improve the limiting factor. I will agree that many times people try to go the easy route and improve their equipment when it's them that's the limits factor... But to say that it's always the skill of the shooter, is leaving half the equation out of the picture.

eggs zachary core eckt sir!

I was wondering how long it would take to get here ^^^

I started precision rifle with an out of the box Savage 10 in 308 Win. 1500 rounds later I had learned to hand load, learned the fundamentals, and got myself out to 1000 with little to no real life help. Tons of valuable data was learned from this website, I applied what I had read here, and it paid off. After the 2 years and 1500 rounds the rifle morphed into wearing CDI bottom metal, a Mcmillan A-5, and was rebarreled in 260 Rem. Why? You can't keep up in tactical competitions when you have to top load after 4 rounds, the vertical grip of the A-5 gives me better trigger control, and the 260 vs 308 debate, well yall know all about that. End result is I learned the fundamentals on a basic platform and also learned what short comings I and my rifle had. I fixed the rifle's shortcomings and am still working on mine.

P.S. the only gizmos attached to the rifle are a Harris 6-9" and a JEC anti-cant level. I don't feel as though I need anything else attached to it. But I do feel as though I need to drill on certain shooting scenarios much more.

If you ask me, when it comes to rifles, and many of the disciplines that require you to just lay prone behind it, it's more the equipment than the skill.

I know a couple of generations of high master shooters that would get a good chuckle from that statement.

Yes, quality equipment is a must and the best shot in the world can't exceed the capability of his equipment, but a mediocre shooter can't (without proper training) realize the capabilities of the most accurate rifle available.

Ah, but which one of those combinations is most likely to maintain that level of performance across the range of environmental and positional conditions that one is likely to experience in practical conditions? Which of those is most easily improved via an equipment upgrade?

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that shitty equipment is the way to go; rather, once some minimum level of equipment performance is obtained (right around the "knee" in the price-vs-performance curve), then further improvements almost certainly must come from the human aspect. Unfortunately, that 2 MOA shooter with the 0.5 MOA gun is going to resort to something silly like an ill-advised effort at "load development" (too bad that the 2 MOA shooter can't shoot well enough to determine what load works and what load doesn't), or will throw away a good barrel, or will blame inaccuracy on reticle thickness, bla bla bla. I've been-there-done-that in this sport and many others.

In short some are arguing it is partially an equipment race, while others are saying no way. To be fair or at least un-ambiguous a dollar figure should be attached. As for some a $1500.00 rig (complete with optics) is high dollar, while for some $5-10,000 for their complete rig is common. I doubt anyone would actually argue (with any real success) that an $800.00 rig (complete with optics) is going to be competitive. This string would be far more interesting and helpful for those on both sides to actually list the equipment/cost on where they believe extra dollars will not or will help ones score. Perhaps some of you guys, could list the minimum cost rifle, scope, rings, bipod etc. you feel would be competitive (provided the shooter was).

I know a couple of generations of high master shooters that would get a good chuckle from that statement.

Yes, quality equipment is a must and the best shot in the world can't exceed the capability of his equipment, but a mediocre shooter can't (without proper training) realize the capabilities of the most accurate rifle available.

Noone is knocking on the guys shooting at 1000 yards with nothing but a sling and peep sights. Perhaps I should have made a note saying I meant prone with a bipod and rear bag. Obviously sling shooting is a bit tougher. But lets get real, you can nit pick all you want, but you give a complete novice a 308 that can shoot 1/4 minute, on a bipod, rear bag and with a nice optic; unless that guy has some SERIOUS previously learned issues, a 5 minute pep talk should get them shooting half to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards in no time. (Once you go farther, the 'art' of wind calling makes all the difference). Technology (bipods,floating stocks,accurate barrels, high magnification clear optics, etc...) has taken out alot of skill requirement from the game.

I'm also not saying you must go get the most expensive gun out there just to start. I have a savage, AI, daniel defense and JP enterprises rifle.. and for what its worth my $700 Savage with its accustock is hands down the most accurate rifle I own. I've had a good laugh about a 3k scope sitting on a shoddy chea looking savage, but if it works it works...

As someone else mentioned, the 'equipment war' have good reasoning to them. a 2moa shooter shooting a 2moa rifle produces 4moa groups. That same shooter using a 1/4 minute rifle is now a 2.25moa shooter. Makes all the difference. That more than good enough to automatically be very competitive in local tactical matches, where the average target is easily 2-4 moa. Enough cannot be said about having quality equipment.

However, as pointed out by you guys, its not an excuse not to improve upon yourself.

Last edited:
As someone else mentioned, the 'equipment war' have good reasoning to them. a 2moa shooter shooting a 2moa rifle produces 4moa groups. That same shooter using a 1/4 minute rifle is now a 2.25moa shooter. Makes all the difference. That more than good enough to automatically be very competitive in local tactical matches, where the average target is easily 2-4 moa. Enough cannot be said about having quality equipment.

There are a couple problems with this logic:

1) Mathematically, error/tolerances don't always add up in a simple manner (as exemplified by concepts such as Root Mean Square).

2) That 2 MOA shooter turns into a 6-8 MOA shooter as soon as he is asked to get off his belly and shoot offhand or from other means of support, which totally negates the value of his superior equipment. The guy who has the 2 MOA rifle but can maintain 2-3 MOA human accuracy under less-than-ideal conditions is going to have a huge advantage.

There is also personal satisfaction. Owning superior equipment but holding it back via one's own inadequacy is not a very satisfying experience. As I stated earlier, I have considerable expertise in this matter ;)

In short some are arguing it is partially an equipment race, while others are saying no way. To be fair or at least un-ambiguous a dollar figure should be attached. As for some a $1500.00 rig (complete with optics) is high dollar, while for some $5-10,000 for their complete rig is common. I doubt anyone would actually argue (with any real success) that an $800.00 rig (complete with optics) is going to be competitive. This string would be far more interesting and helpful for those on both sides to actually list the equipment/cost on where they believe extra dollars will not or will help ones score. Perhaps some of you guys, could list the minimum cost rifle, scope, rings, bipod etc. you feel would be competitive (provided the shooter was).

The 3/4 MOA rifle.

Savage 10 FLCP-K .308 Win (I'm a southpaw)

Rifle $850
Base and rings $200
Bushy Elite Tactical 6-24X Mil/Mil FFP $900
Harris BRM-S 6-9" $95
WieBad rear bag $40 (I think)

TOTAL $2125

The 1/4 MOA rifle

Savage action value $400
Obermeyer 6.5mm, barrel and smith $650
CDI bottom metal $200
3x A.I. mags 2-10 rnd, 1-5 rnd $300-ish
Mcmillan A-5 $550
Triad stock pack $40
WieBad rear bag $40
Harris BRM-S 6-9" $95
SS 5-20X Mil/Mil FFP $1250 (used)
Rings and base $200 (EGW and Badger Ord)

TOTAL $3725

So an additional $1112 gained me 1/2 MOA and the ability to hold 10 rounds. Is it worth that much more money? Not for some, it is to me. Could I have fielded the 3/4 MOA 308 as a hunting rifle? Absolutely, and I did with great success. I wanted to go from 178 A-max BC @2700 fps to 140 A-max BC @ 2800 fps. If I didn't compete I probably would have saved the $1112 and been perfectly happy. But I did become a better rifleman before making all of the changes. As everyone knows reading wind is what very good shooters are continually improving upon, myself included.

I have my own 800 yard range. After two months of building, clearing, etc, I finally realized that I would end the day, pack up the tools and go home. Well dumbass, you have your own range, why not shoot a bit before you go home? So, in an effort to not use a ton of components I decided the best exercise is to make the cold bore shot, at distance. I began on the 500 yard plate, and after 10 days without a miss I moved to 600. (My range is 0 line NW, and the range stretches SE) in Texas the wind is always out of the north or the south, so always a cross wind, and it may be 2 mph or 40 mph. I'm still on the 600 yard cold bore since I have an 80% hit rate. I'm being conservative and staying there until I'm 100% for 10 days. The wind is humbling, and I know I'm not the best at it.

At 74 years of age....and still shooting and active....I've had many years to examine what makes good shooters! At age 18 I had the opportunity to be able to shoot with the USAMTU shooting the M1 Garand and later making the transition to the M14 and I won a lot of trash over the years. IMO....this possibly isn't the only way to learn CORRECT MARKSMANSHIP but it helps to have learned much under some of the best coaches within the shooting world as a young man. For anyone wishing to further their tenure in the marksmanship game it would behoove any individual to compete in the sling shooting world shooting aperture sights a few years because in the final analysis as far as I'm concerned this is where REAL MARKSMANSHIP ability is learned and improvements are made!

And I'm NOT knocking F/Class or other disciplines! I understand that many people don't have the chances that I had and that older shooters must resort to glass!

unless that guy has some SERIOUS previously learned issues, a 5 minute pep talk should get them shooting half to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards in no time.

I thought we were discussing long range. Errors hardly visible at 100 will stand out like a hooker in church at long range.

(Once you go farther, the 'art' of wind calling makes all the difference.

...along with repeatable position, proper breathing technique, trigger control, cheek weld...

Last edited:
I kind of look at it like this:

A person born to riches will never appreciate his riches like that of the man who was born to poverty; the comparison is that people who have a lot of money go out and order an insane custom .408 with Night force or SM rings/scope, atlas bipods, match grade rounds and so on, dont understand why that stuff is awesome and wont be able to properly apply them to their potential.

For me, my military service was a great induction into the shooting world, nothing makes you appreciate a good gun than being deployed with a rifle that slices brass in two and constantly malfunctions with an optic that's glass is literally gouged :D

I agree that you could get better maybe more efficiently spending money on ammo rather than gear, if you're new and inexperienced. But honestly, it doesn't hurt anything but your wallet to have better gear. There are definitely aftermarket products that just make sense.

Extra, frivolous whiz-bang strap ons-- pointless. Grips, 45 degree irons, reflex sights, kill-flashes, sunshades out to the end of your barrel, clamp on bipods, etc. etc.. yeah people don't do research. Nothing you can do about it except attempt to educate. Some people just see 4, 9" rails and think "I have all of these slots, I MUST fill them". Some people can't be helped. More money than brains etc. etc. It's nothing new, there are just a lot more ways for the same types of people to do/buy stupid shit than there may have been previously.

Try to educate them, many are non-responsive. If they are, move on...

equipment vs. skill

I laugh at the guys that attach lots of stuff that's CHEAP and not functional more than the guy that spends a lot.

I once saw a guy with a nc star scope and laser attached to a non-floating rail. He was having trouble zeroing it. He told me the LGS sold it all to him and set it up for him. Otherwise he had a descent firearm. The problem is people open their wallet before they open their mind.

ETA:

What makes you think things like 45 degree irons and sunshades are useless?

Never used a rifle in the humid, steamy, rainy climate and see your Aimpoint or ACOG fog over? I shouldn't have to explain why there are instances for a sunshade. There is no reason not to use these items if one has a legitimate need for them and not "just because".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I said something like this in another thread. I would say it's 80% equipment 20% skill with prone shooting, as far as technique, etc goes. The skill comes in reading wind, judging distance, and things of that nature. Those are things that really do take time to learn, experience, repetition, and trial and error. But, I will set my rifle down on the dirt and dope up 1k yards, sit my girlfriend behind it and put $20 she will hit an IPSC target on her first try. If the rifle wasn't capable, this wouldn't happen, and I would probably go to the range getting all pissed off at myself because Johnny Internet told me 'It's not about the arrow it's about the Indian...' without remembering that arrows are not bullets and bows are not rifles.

Now there are some things that fit that phrase much better. While my girlfriend CAN ring steel at 1k regularly (and my brother, and my sister, and anyone else I sit behind this gun after it's already doped up), she certainly cannot pick up a guitar and play the Kid Charlemagne solo, or, for that matter, she can't even play a damn G chord. I can show her how to play things over and over, let her listen to it, set up the guitar perfectly, but all be damned, she just can't play like Brent Mason. This is a skill that when mastered, the master truly can make almost any guitar 'talk', and find a good sound out of the crappiest of instruments. Conversely, as you already indicated, a 2MOA rifle will only shoot 2MOA regardless of the skill of the shooter. This is an indication that there is a point where shooting skill does not overcome equipment, and therefore determines equipment is the independent variable when it comes to the disciplines of marksmanship most often discussed on SH.

equipment vs. skill

Except you applied the dope to the gun. ;)

So she's an excellent wind reader you say?

ETA:

What makes you think things like 45 degree irons and sunshades are useless?

Never used a rifle in the humid, steamy, rainy climate and see your Aimpoint or ACOG fog over? I shouldn't have to explain why there are instances for a sunshade. There is no reason not to use these items if one has a legitimate need for them and not "just because".

I just think the 45 degree stuff is goofy, personally. For the money spent, the realistic gains are extremely small in my eyes. 99.9% of the time it's extra shit hanging on your rifle not being used unless you make a scenario for it. "A solution looking for a problem". If you shoot competition and actually use them, good on you.

Kill-flash/ARD devices are useless. Darkens image, collects shit, sucks. I ripped them off of every RCO that was issued to me and "Lost" them.

Sunshades are fine, I was talking about guys that mount 3-10 of them consecutively until the scope runs almost to the muzzle. There is no reason for that many.

equipment vs. skill

So first it was frivolous and useless , but now just goofy ? It isn't an invented scenario to have a use for certain items. I've never needed a BUIS or night sights, or an AR at all, or my CCW, but I see legitimate need. Just because you don't have a current need doesn't mean it is illegitimate.

I've actually been thinking about a set of. 45s because I've more than once not taken a shot because my glass was fogged.

I think that's the point joe was making. People buy stuff they don't need because a trainer or secret squirrel was seen with it rather than using their gear, honing their skills, and finding where it lets you down---THEN making the change as needed.

Last edited:
There is no substitute for common sense and just being practical and honest to oneself.
Even out of the box equipment these days is expected to produce some reasonable results.
There are budget options to learn and hopefully learn from the best that then can be applied later.
What people do not consider is to invest in professional training and time behind the wheel with support and
maybe challenge oneself skills with training and some healthy competition.
that is how shooters get better the same way pilots get better, surgeons get better, etc....
Study, practice, work it out and the equipment will help as things ramp up one can improve the equipment and if it is actually needed.
Plan on systems and ammunition that one can afford so one can shoot a lot and learn.
Having too many rifles or too expensive to shoot is not good.
What good is a ferrari w/o gasoline?

OWN less, DO more.

So first it was frivolous and useless , but now just goofy ? It isn't an invented scenario to have a use for certain items. I've never needed a BUIS or night sights, or an AR at all, or my CCW, but I see legitimate need. Just because you don't have a current need doesn't mean it is illegitimate.

I've actually been thinking about a set of. 45s because I've more than once not taken a shot because my glass was fogged.

I think that's the point joe was making. People buy stuff they don't need because a trainer or secret squirrel was seen with it rather than using their gear, honing their skills, and finding where it lets you down---THEN making the change as needed.

Goofy: being crazy, ridiculous, or mildly ludicrous
Frivolous: not important : not deserving serious attention : silly and not serious
Useless: having or being of no use

There, Merriam-Webster definitions. Those words more or less describe my opinion of 45-degree iron sights. I do not have a real use for them, and besides 3-gun or whatever other shoot/move competitions, don't really see the attraction.

If your optics are fogged, wipe them off. Let your gear normalize to the ambient weather. Do you sit in a heated/cooled stand or were you driving around right before you couldn't take that shot? I've been using optics in 24/7 conditions on the east coast and the west coast of the US for the last 5 years. The only times I've had fogging issues is from body heat coming off of me after burning energy during a live fire range, and at night hiking around with NVG's strapped 2" off of my face (body heat, again). Run your thumb over the occular lens and press on.

In the event that something is so close that you can't use a scope, point and shoot. If you're hunting, is it really ethical to take a snap shot on a moving animal so close?

Ultimately, if you don't like my opinion, don't read it. I have banked trust in solid primary optics (NF and Leupold) so I don't have to spend $100-200 on something that realistically has an incredibly small chance of ever being used.

equipment vs. skill

We know the definitions of words. Quoting the dictionary makes you....never mind, I'll be nice.

You don't always have time for your rifle to sit and stabilize and wiping off the lens sometimes takes too long, and instantly fogs right back up. Here in Missouri, you get 100 degrees and 90% humidity all summer. Stuff instantly fogs up. I've had body heat fog stuff and that's quick to wipe off. Same with NODs (which I leaned quick the advantages of using a laser with).

I'd hate to have had to defended myself with it. Luckily, most of the shots I haven't taken were varmints trying to make their way into my chicken coop or coyotes/bobcats that made their way in the yard. Guess I could always leave my rifle outside?

Hopefully none of us EVER need a rifle or CCW and have a small chance of ever using one in such a way, but we are still prepared, right?

My point is don't judge all the items as "useless" because you don't know what situations an individual experiences or foresees.

Last edited:
I still learn something new every time I go to the range. Things related to my rifle, scope reloading or even my mental state on certain days. Most of all I learn patience and perserverence. If it were easy, it wouldn't be fun!

I still learn something new every time I go to the range. Things related to my rifle, scope reloading or even my mental state on certain days. Most of all I learn patience and perserverence. If it were easy, it wouldn't be fun!

When the old and wise Morihei Ueshiba (The founder of Aikido martial Art) was asked how he could do the techniques he did and how did it feel to be such a great master at that old age he replied....
I am just another practitioner just like the others, I am still learning every day. The day I stop learning, that day I am dead.

Before we all say do not use that or that is not the way it might be better to simply observe and then might learn something, sometimes from the most unexpected situation.

Last edited: