• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Era Tac adjustable mount?

bgavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
Anybody have experience with this mount? How accurate and repeatable is it?

I have a razor gen 2 on a 6.5 creedmoor and going to try and shoot some elr distances.

My friend just set up a mile target and I need more elevation. Previously have been shooting 1000 yds and in.

Thanks

They are very good and repeatable. I tried both the elevation adjustment and removing the mount and reattaching it to the rail and it was always within 0.1 Mil.

Another option is to keep your existing mount and get a Charlie.

Reactions: NamibHunter
The tarac looks great but not in the budget right now.

The era Tac fits the budget. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks

Another thumbs up for the adjustable ERA TAC. Use one on my Barrett M82A1 with some pretty stiff loads and its held up without any issues.

So you don’t have to take it off the rail. You loosen a set screw, make the moa adjustment, tighten and ready to shoot?

Another thumbs up for ERA-TAC! They're rugged as heck too.
IMG_20190809_160633017.jpg

IMG_20190615_135513542.jpg

Is that era Tac and a Charlie tarac?

If so how far are you shooting?

Our farthest target is 3643 yards, or just over 2 miles. My elevation is 59.9 mils for that distance, so it requires both.

my adjustable QD mount is accurate and repeatable. Make sure get a good tq wrech for the elevation

So you don’t have to take it off the rail. You loosen a set screw, make the moa adjustment, tighten and ready to shoot?
No, assuming the ring height (in combination with the scope objective size) allows for the adjustment. Always best practice to check zero after an elevation change IMHO, irrespective of what that zero distance is or might end up being.

Hi, looking for some thoughts...

I know this is an older thread but I have been doing a lot of searching here for figuring out stuff for a new rifle - this thread came closest :) (my first post by the way, lurking around reading for a while now but now it is time... happy to be here) :)

@MACHTECH you say you need both for 2 miles? You are talking about ERA TAC I assume? I see that has around 20mil adjustment - hence the TARAC on top? Any reason why one couldnt go for just the TARAC and forget about the adjustable base?

More questions:
We are talking a Cadex shadow in 375 CT which has a 40moa rail. So here is what I am thinking, please sense-check and correct me if I go wrong anywhere... Plan is to shoot 1000yds plus in the beginning and then take it as far as I can once I figured out where.

Pictures of the Cadex happen to be 6 posts above so need for a new one.

From what I see there is two or three Options:

A: Put 1.5in rings on the Shadow, then you have quite a bit rail left out front. Scope will either be a NF ATACR 7-35 FFP or a S&B PM II 5-45 (both should have around 100moa internal adjustment). That should be well enough to shoot 1k yds if not out to 1 mile. For longer distance, can I not just put the TARAC with lets say 30 or 40mil on the rail (it says optimized for 1.5in scope height, would probably prefer rail mounted)? That should give enough elevation even without adjustable base or am I going wrong here somewhere? I guess it should also be no problem with line of sight / barrel since the Shadow's rail is quite long - move the TARAC forward if needed and the extra "periscope height" should be enough to clear the muzzle brake (no plans to put a can on it)? That would be difficult with an angled base.

B: Get either an Ivey or Cold Shot base ONLY (ERA TAC not enough adjustment). Going with Machtech's numbers, for 2 miles you are under 60mil elevation. Ivey has 60mil adjustment and Cold Shot comes in 144mil or 72mil. So for elevation adjustment, thats more than enough by itself. Pretty sure you will be looking at the barrel at one point for very long distances, not sure though from what angle that would happen.

C: Searched a lot and found mixed feedback. How accurate are the Cold Shot, ERA TAC and Ivey bases? Anyone tried more than one? I guess a combination of both with the TARAC scope mounted like Machtec said is a viable option too, use the mount as far as you can and only put the TARAC on it once you start staring at the barrel but here I wonder why not just go for the TARAC itself...

...questions over questions...

Thanks in advance :)

Too much cant in your base/rings and you’ll be looking right into your barrel.

Keep it simple. Era-tac will allow you to fine tune your cant so you get maximum travel in your turret. Thrown on a Charlie when you need more.

Reactions: MACHTECH
Thanks @Yerman ! Makes sense. Would probably need to be the 1.85in height version of the ERA-TAC considering that even flat the 56mm scope needs 1.5in ring height.

You'll need the 1.85 height mount if you're going to run your Charlie on the magnetic mount. You can get away with the 1.65 mount if you run the clip on mounted Charlie. If you end up with a shadow (40moa rail), you will set the era-tac at 20 moa to get the most out of your elevation turret while keeping a 100 yard zero. Once you start calibrating your own CT's past about 80 mils, you run into the issue of looking at your barrel again and will require a Delta Tarac.

@MACHTECH nice looking rifles. Do you know your barrel diameter and lengths on both of those?
First off....Thank you. The barrels are both finished at 32" in length. They are 1.5" dia. at the breech and 1.2" dia. at the muzzle. Twist rate is 1:7.

Just another option to consider. Burris adjustable rings. Set to max out available elevation from your scope. ~100 moa. Then get a Charlie tarac set at 100. Or an adjustable one. Once you see the barrel, it’s time of their offset prism.

And set your zero as much of a hold under as you can manage at 100 yards or farther ?

FWIW - A friend bought one to take his 6.5 AI out to a mile. There was some sort of malfunction when he was on the line and the mount would not adjust (believe he said something stripped). He tried a warranty return through the seller and was denied as the item is only warrantied by the manufacturer, who is German and who does not have a U.S. rep. He contacted the parent company and after some back and forth, was able to do return, but it was a bit of a PITA.

I have 6 era-tac adjustable incline mounts. The only issue I ran into was a broken hex head on one of the picatinny mounting screws. Era-tac sent a whole new complete mount to me directly from Germany within 1 week of my email to them and included a pre-paid return shipping label in the box. One of the best customer service experiences I have encountered.

Ok so I have been doing some more thinking and OCDed it in AutoCAD :)

If the rail has already 40moa, I use a 27mil S&B scope, there is not much elevation I can get out of it with using a sloped mount (10 moa may already be too much) or the adjustable ERATAC. So my thought is, why not go with 0moa / 1.5in mount and should it become necessary use a rail mounted charlie. The Shadow's rail is long... and the Charlie shouldn't particularly care how far from the scope it is. So you can move it forward and not need a Delta... like ever. Like here:
1577598372969.png

I only found a length of pull "drawing" from cadex, which shows another rifle (if anybody here has better blue prints - please send). So I traced that, adjusted the barrel length that the folded dimension matches... Scope is to scale, Charlie is a roughly estimated box :p This is not gonna be accurate to the 1/10th of a mil but the general idea should be clear. Red is line of sight with the charlie maxed to the edge of the muzzle brake.

That gives minimum 7 degree downwards angle which is 120+mil. As I said, I dont have any illusion that this is 100% accurate but honestly if it is 100mil or 150mil... Way more than enough. The distance the charlie is sitting now is also within the limits of +/-3mm up and down for the scope that Tacom says is the optimal range when you turn the turret. And that is also worst case assumption that the mil up and down have the elevation turret as a center...

So I am thinking go with 0moa mount, 1.5in high - charlie on the rail later if needed...

Trace sketch:
1577597923780.png

Line of sight through Charlie (rough estimate)
1577598051133.png

1577598082077.png

That is around 8degree downward angle...
1577598186590.png

I suppose you did all this to get away from an Era-tac? Why? What rings do you want to use?

In my opinion, get the Era-tac because it’s a phenomenal mount and you have in case you need it. What happens when you decide to run a NF 7-35 or who-knows-what down the road.

If cost is the issue, buy from here and save hundreds but you’ll have to wait a week or two. https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/manu...es-era_tac_adjustable_inclination_mounts.html

Last edited:
Reactions: MACHTECH
@Yerman

Intention was not to get away from the EraTac. More to make sense of it and figure out if I want to go EraTac and then scope mounted Charlie or a 0moa base and then rail mounted Charlie (somehow I would like that thing better on the rail). Suspected that you could potentially get more out of the Charlie if it is rail mounted - you can move it further forward allowing for bigger angle.

Price was not really the reason. Would probably go with a Spuhr mount, there is not much difference.

I would like to keep a 100yd zero and with the scope I plan on getting (Schmidt & Bender PM II 5-45 LRR with MT II turret .05mil click) you "only" get 270cm / 100m elevation adjustment. So that is around 45moa that I would need to bottom the scope out on my zero. The Cadex Shadow comes with a 40moa rail already. Since the EraTac seems to go in 10moa steps, I would end up having an EraTac on it set to 0 MOA which I guess is beating the point a bit :)

So why not go 40moa rail / 0moa base fixed and then slam the Charlie on the rail if needed - thats my thought just now.

I'll weigh in on the Eratac adjustable inclination mounts. I have 3 of them and they've held up on both 50 BMG and Barrett 416 rifles. I like and have used/owned Spuhr mounts also, but I lean towards the flexibility of the adjustable Eratac. It always seems to hold zero for me also. I like the fit and finish of Spuhr mounts better though. If only the Spuhr and Eratacs could mate, lol!

Reactions: Daniel-01
I have a 0 moa mount on a 40moa base on my cadex shadow 375ct. I have the 7-35 NF on it. I put the Charlie right up against the scope almost. Its rail mounted. I set it at 35 mils. Dialing and also with the Charlie gets me to two miles without issues and little left still in the turret. 0moa is fine with your scope to keep the 100zero. Just get or set your Charlie at whatever Mils makes sense for your shooting.

ERA-TAC finally has a series of mounts with dialable MRAD instead of MOA, which removes my last frustration with them.

Of course, March is releasing the 4-40 Genesis with 72mrad up elevation next month, so we’ll see how prices line up.

Reactions: TripleBull
ERA-TAC finally has a series of mounts with dialable MRAD instead of MOA, which removes my last frustration with them.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn’t know they came out with those. I wonder if they will make the adjustment nut available as an upgrade.

Question to the Era Tac owners:

I'm thinking of replacing my Spuhr mount with one of these. Now, about the different options in ring heights: Do I need to get extra high rings compared to my Spuhr due to the fact that the whole scope will askant/be sloped down at the front when using the full 70 MOA?

Or in other words; How much clearance would I need from the bottom of the front of the scope and the picatinny rail to make sure I can use the full 70MOA adjustments. I can't get that info from the tech specs.

FYI, the mount would be used on an AI AXMC that has a picatinny rail running over the full length

Last edited:
Reactions: Kryptonight
Question to the Era Tac owners:

I'm thinking of replacing my Spuhr mount with one of these. Now, about the different options in ring heights? Do I need to get extra high rings compared to my Spuhr due to the fact that the whole scope will askant/sloped down at the front when using the full 70 MOA?

Or in other words; How much clearance would I need from the bottom of the front of the scope and the picatinny rail to make sure I can use the fill 70MOA adjustments. I can't get that info from the tech specs.

FYI, the mount would be used on an AI AXMC that has a picatinny rail running over the full length
@MACHTECH @tnester1

Yes. Not only that, the nut that rotates needs clearance for the rotation so it will lift the back of the scope higher than it’s final resting point @ 70 moa.

Before I can recommend a height to you, which scope will you be running and do you ever plan to run something like a Charlie Tarac on the objective?

53267D94-E7A4-44BF-9E8E-0F1B611988F7.jpeg

Yes. Not only that, the nut that rotates needs clearance for the rotation so it will lift the back of the scope higher than it’s final resting point @ 70 moa.

Before I can recommend a height to you, which scope will you be running and do you ever plan to run something like a Charlie Tarac on the objective?

View attachment 7532673

Nice Cadex ;-)

Will be using a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 on it. Sometimes with sunshade.

So I don't have a Chalie Tarac yet. but the whole reason for getting the Era Tac is to get into long range shooting so preferably have the option to add it.

Full length pic rail with an objective mount Charlie, I’d get the 30mm height like mine pictured above. Just make sure your chassis cheek riser can go high enough.

If you go with a a rail mount Charlie, you can easily get away with the 25mm. Not sure if you’ll clear the 20mm.

Note: I gave you height in mm per Era-tac part numbers. If you buy from Eurooptic, they tried some weird conversion method to get the numbers in a more familiar format for us here in the US market but only made some of the conversions and made it confusing. Just focus on the part numbers ending in 20, 25, and 30.

One last thing, they make an MRAD version too so make sure you get either MOA or MRAD so that it matches your scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyfoon
Full length pic rail with an objective mount Charlie, I’d get the 30mm height like mine pictured above. Just make sure your chassis cheek riser can go high enough.

If you go with a a rail mount Charlie, you can easily get away with the 25mm. Not sure if you’ll clear the 20mm.

Note: I gave you height in mm per Era-tac part numbers. If you buy from Eurooptic, they tried some weird conversion method to get the numbers in a more familiar format for us here in the US market but only made some of the conversions and made it confusing. Just focus on the part numbers ending in 20, 25, and 30.

Maybe I should have added my actual distance between tube and rail now, which is approx 7mm (.28"). Due to the options they have I either need to go down 1mm/0.04" (would be the 20mm version) or up 4mm versus current (that would then be the 25mm version)

Does this add new perspective or is 25mm ok?

p.s. indeed, just noticed that also have an Mrad version now. Good news!

I have the 25mm on my AXMC and think it is the perfect height

Thanks for the reply to the OP I was curious as to this question also. I looked at the scope ring sticky but it seemed to address more traditional rifle designs. So 25mm ERA TAC MRAD mount should cover a 56mm bell ok on AXMC. Would it be a bit high for a 50mm bell? Is the kit above your objective a RF? Very new to this, pardon my ignorance.

the cheek rest of the AXMC is kind of tall even at the lowest setting. It depends the shape of our head/cheek. Going too low on scope mount height might lead to sight picture issue on AXMC

Thanks for the reply to the OP I was curious as to this question also. I looked at the scope ring sticky but it seemed to address more traditional rifle designs. So 25mm ERA TAC MRAD mount should cover a 56mm bell ok on AXMC. Would it be a bit high for a 50mm bell? Is the kit above your objective a RF? Very new to this, pardon my ignorance.

As it was said earlier it depends on your body type, I weigh about 170 and don't have a bucket head.... You can see in the pic that the cheek rest is more than half way up. Yes, that is a SilencerCo Radius RF on top(on the side in this pic)

20200209_102644.jpg

As it was said earlier it depends on your body type, I weigh about 170 and don't have a bucket head.... You can see in the pic that the cheek rest is more than half way up. Yes, that is a SilencerCo Radius RF on top(on the side in this pic)
ok thanks for your help and the kit info. Very new to this aspect of shooting. Brown is kicking my AX across the country as I type. Mostly desert steel plate shooting anticipated. Reticle is the next decision for that use. Thanks again.

Thanks! The grey one is a cdx-50 that has been rebarreled to .416 barrett match.

I have 6 era-tac adjustable incline mounts. The only issue I ran into was a broken hex head on one of the picatinny mounting screws. Era-tac sent a whole new complete mount to me directly from Germany within 1 week of my email to them and included a pre-paid return shipping label in the box. One of the best customer service experiences I have encountered.
I was mounting mine and one of these hex nuts also broke off. I was using a calibrated torque wrench. Hope I will see the same customer service!

I torque mine to 65 in/lbs. 10-12NM is a bit much and I don't want to carry around an additional torque wrench for that much torque.

I torque mine to 65 in/lbs. 10-12NM is a bit much and I don't want to carry around an additional torque wrench for that much torque.
Guessing this works fine? Which caliber is this?

65-70 in/lbs / 6-8 NM sounds much more sensible to me then 10-12NM...but still strange they would recommend such a high torque when it is not needed.