• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Era-Tac adjustable mount

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
I was wondering if anyone has tall target tested their Era-Tac adjustable mount?

I have one and I really like it, but I use it as a set it and forget it, and I haven't adjusted it during a match.

I would use it to 100 yard zero my rifle and then before a match, bump it up 5 or 10 MRAD so I'm not dialing to extremes. I'll test it out on my gear, but I was curious for other's results

Scott

I was wondering if anyone has tall target tested their Era-Tac adjustable mount?

I have one and I really like it, but I use it as a set it and forget it, and I haven't adjusted it during a match.

I would use it to 100 yard zero my rifle and then before a match, bump it up 5 or 10 MRAD so I'm not dialing to extremes. I'll test it out on my gear, but I was curious for other's results

Scott
I've only tested it for re-zero. I adjusted the base up 20 moa and shot it at 1000 and then took it back down and went up with my scope and it shot the same. I'm interested in what you find out.

Reactions: A5scott
I've only tested it for re-zero. I adjusted the base up 20 moa and shot it at 1000 and then took it back down and went up with my scope and it shot the same. I'm interested in what you find out.
When you shot it at 1000, did it adjust 20 moa, and did you notice any windage offset?

Scott

Reactions: Taylorbok
I wouldn't count on it to be repeatable during a match but I'd be very interested in your findings.
What cartridge you running? I came up with a plan with a zero offset to be able to shoot out to 2 miles with out any elevation adders. I will have to hold some at 2 miles and a bit of hold under at 1000 but NBD

Last edited:
I have a 338LM running 300gr Hybrids at 2860. I have all the parts at my gunsmith for a 416 Barrett build that will replace a 24" barrel M99 in 416 Barrett, "Hunter edition" lol, I've used in a couple matches
I ordered a stock, barrel, and action for a 33xc, so I'm hoping that's ready in 2 years lol

I kind of just want to be able to have a zero offset so I can stay somewhat centered in the glass and erector, and hopefully cheek weld won't suffer. I can always level the optic after raising the cant in the mount, but I would like to not have to.
I'm not going to use it to add elevation during a match.

What cartridge are you using for your 2 mile? how many MRAD for the shot?

Scott

I have a 338LM running 300gr Hybrids at 2860. I have all the parts at my gunsmith for a 416 Barrett build that will replace a 24" barrel M99 in 416 Barrett, "Hunter edition" lol, I've used in a couple matches
I ordered a stock, barrel, and action for a 33xc, so I'm hoping that's ready in 2 years lol

I kind of just want to be able to have a zero offset so I can stay somewhat centered in the glass and erector, and hopefully cheek weld won't suffer. I can always level the optic after raising the cant in the mount, but I would like to not have to.
I'm not going to use it to add elevation during a match.

What cartridge are you using for your 2 mile? how many MRAD for the shot?

Scott
It's a wildcat to stay in the confines of Canadian laws so I can use at Ko2M Canada. Essentially a 375 RUM Gibbs. Depending on enviros around 55 MRAD. I'm going to run a 15 MRAD offset on my zero at 100 yards. I will be able to use the top of my reticle for targets into 1000 yards and then at 2 miles I will have to hold an additional couple mils.

I doubt you'd see most anyone adjusting their era-tac mount in a match.. while it's not a slow thing to do, it's also not fast given the need to loosen both torx screws and re-torque. I too use mine as a set it and forget it, and having it with the QD levers allows me to swap it to a different rifle/calibres, but again I set it and forget it for each calibre.

I got one in Mrad version. I’m about to bottom out and get most elevation dial on my 40x zco. For my 33xc I’m able to dial at 2800 yards (28 mil) and have my 100 yards zero.

I wouldn't count on it to be repeatable during a match but I'd be very interested in your findings.
What cartridge you running? I came up with a plan with a zero offset to be able to shoot out to 2 miles with out any elevation adders. I will have to hold some at 2 miles and a bit of hold under at 1000 but NBD
I'm shooting a 300 NMI on a Surgeon XL with about 400 rounds on it. And no there was no windage change and it's holding zero just fine. My action has a 30 MOA built in rail and I have the base set on 20 MOA and my Nightforce 5x25 ATCAR zeroed at a 100.

Reactions: Taylorbok
For anyone's interest, the patent is available (don't have the link immediately available) for people to understand how the mount adjusts from a mechanical perspective, and how it locks back down into position. Aside from pure manufacturing tolerances, the design of the amount absolutely lends itself to being extremely repeatable using tapers and wedges to ensure alignment in the correct axis. Highly intelligent the way Recknagel made the mount both easily adjustable, and rock solid when tightened down.

While I don't think you'll see many shooters adjusting their mount on the fly in competition, I don't see why you couldn't... and as Otnot said above, his mount has been rock solid.

Why not give it a go in competition or next time your out at the range doing dope? I imagine you'll be very happy with the results.

From my understanding, the eratac is one of the most reliable and repeatable mounts in existence.

As far as tall target testing? Consider everything on your rifle broken until you verify for youself that it works.

Until you do, you will be unable to pinpoint the source of any error that exists within your system, and will drive yourself nuts.

From my understanding, the eratac is one of the most reliable and repeatable mounts in existence.

As far as tall target testing? Consider everything on your rifle broken until you verify for youself that it works.

Until you do, you will be unable to pinpoint the source of any error that exists within your system, and will drive yourself nuts.
You just had to put that kernel of doubt in my mind. LOL Damnit now I have to find a 8 ft piece of cardboard to test it.

i think having confidence in your equipment is worth alot more from a mental standpoint than people realize
I agree 100%. Many years ago when I started shooting competitive trap I was shooting an 1100 auto loader that occasionally malfunctioned so there was always that nagging thought of when it would happen again. And my scores reflected that mental weakness. So I bought a Perazzi. No more malfunctions and my scores went up and up until when I did miss I knew it was me not my equipment.

• Love
Reactions: Sigma
@A5scott I had one on my 300 PRC and found it to be dead on at the 5 mil setting, and slightly low at the 10 mil setting - but 100% repeatable, so not an issue. I've since pulled it because I replaced the scope with a ZCO, which gives me enough internal elevation to dial to ~2200 yards, depending on conditions, with plenty of room to hold if needed (I've only shot beyond that once).

I found it to be a solid piece of equipment.

EDIT: I never set it at more than 10 mil

@A5scott I had one on my 300 PRC and found it to be dead on at the 5 mil setting, and slightly low at the 10 mil setting - but 100% repeatable, so not an issue. I've since pulled it because I replaced the scope with a ZCO, which gives me enough internal elevation to dial to ~2200 yards, depending on conditions, with plenty of room to hold if needed (I've only shot beyond that once).

I found it to be a solid piece of equipment.

EDIT: I never set it at more than 10 mil
Yes, they are very solid mounts, and I like how accessories are mounted as well.
Did you notice any windage offset when dialing to 5 or 10?

Thanks for posing up.
Scott

Yes, they are very solid mounts, and I like how accessories are mounted as well.
Did you notice any windage offset when dialing to 5 or 10?

Thanks for posing up.
Scott

I did not notice any, but honestly, I wasn't looking either. I can tell you I didn't adjust when I was testing at 1900 yards, but where I do most my long range shooting, the winds are squirrely anyway. It's tough to tell shot-to-shot, so I wouldn't have necessarily have noticed small changes between adjusting.

I know you can't tell if there is windage offset at 1900 yards, too many variables, but if you shot it at paper at 100 or inside 300 yards you'd probably notice.

Are you happy with the ZCO?

My rifle with the Era-Tac on it is getting bed and chambered so I'll test it out in a a month or so when I get it back.

Scott

I know you can't tell if there is windage offset at 1900 yards, too many variables, but if you shot it at paper at 100 or inside 300 yards you'd probably notice.

Got it - I actually did this at 100 yards with the 5 mil setting and saw no movement.

Are you happy with the ZCO?

Very much so.

My rifle with the Era-Tac on it is getting bed and chambered so I'll test it out in a a month or so when I get it back.

Post your results!

For what it is worth: used the incline-adjustable non-QD model set to O moa with a TT525P for the February SH training with zero set to 100 yards. Frank and Marc had the class take off all the scopes to verify/correct plumb line zero cant (scope did not require correction). We then put scopes back on into same rail slots they were taken from and torqued into place to factory specs. Mount held zero at 100 for consistent hits out to 1025 yards.

Last edited: