• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Era-Tac moving ?

trophyhunter

Gun Father
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2011
    Brownsville, Tx
    I was in match today and noticed my scope had slid back. I torqued the rings to 18in lbs on my 3-27 Schmidt. Through the match I started noticing that I was getting low as it went on till I zeroed two stages. Then a buddy asked is your scope moving, when I noticed it was all the way forward on the mount. I know I did not put it like this and moved it. I put it back roughly where I knew it was and went to the next stage, dialed and hit 7 of 9 shots.

Why would my mount/scope be moving ?
    What are the torque specs ?

I previously had my Beast in this mount and NEVER had this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Can't help with specs on that mount but holy crap that is impressive - moving it back roughly to where you thought it was and hitting 7/9 on your next stage!
    I have had scopes move in the past, now I always put a witness mark with a white sharpie on ring and scope tube. When things start to go south its the first thing I look at.
    What caliber you shooting?

Spuhr suggests sprinkeling a bit of pine rosin on the rings before installing the scope. I've done that with a lot of makes since and solved a lot of problems.

Nfoley, I'm super OCD of where I put my scope so I was able to put it back with a small pencil mark on the bottom of the tube for this reason. I just put this scope on this Wednesday cause I had a 5-25Schmidt in it for a month and the Beast since last February 16'.

Today I was shooting 308, last week I was shooting 300wm and before that with the 5-25 & Beast mostly 6creed & 6SLR.

The mount held up well before this scope but today I was disappointed. I retorqued it to 18in-lbs then cranked to 20 just for shits.

I just got home now and noticed the mount is moving again, this time it was over 27 shots.

Never heard of using pine rosin but I'll definitely try it.

Does anyone know what the recommended torque specs for the Schmidt ?

I know my Premier would lock up with 20in-lbs

I beleive any rosin will do. I'de be pretty confident of rosin I bought at Brownells.

I just bought some bowling rosin from amazon [video]https://www.amazon.com/Ebonite-Ultra-Grip-Rosin-Bag/dp/B000MEFSHY[/video] I keep it inside a ziplock baggy in my gunsmithing box.

Sounds good, I'm gonna try that rosin and fire about 50rds of 210g 300wm to see if any movement occurs.

I also read on the Era-Tac website that they recommend a piece of latex glove on the bottom ring for added traction. Basically shape a piece similar to the ring and it should help with heavier recoiling calibers. I didn't think 308 was one of them.

Was this incident maybe a confidence killer??
    Or was I just lucky to have never experienced it with my other scope combos ?

I am interested in torque specs as well if anyone can provide them. I have not been able to find anything.

I use 20-25 psi on my Spuhr mounts, never had a scope move on me. I always periodically check the tightness on the screws just in case one or two start to work their way loose, but it's never been an issue. I had an adjustable inclination Era-Tac mount a few years ago and used around the same torque settings with no issue. You could try thin strips of latex as they suggest, I wouldn't expect it to move with that.

I run ERA TAC mounts on everything including 3 rifles chambered in .338 Lapua and never had an issues at all...

I retightened it to the 17in lbs recommended and 70in lbs on the base nuts.

After that day at the match I got home and rechecked, noticed the witness mark had moved. I moved that mount to another rifle with a Beast and have yet to see it move over 200 shots from 6 creed to 308, don't know what's the difference.

I bought a Spuhr for the AXMC, put back my 3-27 with rosin, torque to specs. This weekend ran a match at Rifles Only and had not one issue. From mounting to end of match I had 40rds of 300wm, 20rds of 308 and 49 of 6 creed.

So don't know if it was the mount or scope itself ?