• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eric Cortina V2 Truner

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I have a Eric Cortina V2 tuner coming for Christmas. Anyone use one? How do you like it?

I like the new V2 design. He has a YouTube video of this newer design and goes through the tuning process by actually shooting and tuning the gun.

I have one on my CZ 457 and its really helped on that. Also one on my DI Precision Vudoo.

Mine just arrived a couple of days ago. I hope I can get to the range tomorro.

I have the EC Tuner on a Shilen Ratchet 24.5" barrel that is tapered and not a thick barrel like every seems to buy for rimfires. It shoots ok without it , but once the tuner is on there is a big improvement, even with a suppressor. On my Mullen thicker barrel , I think it is a M24 there is a slight improvement.

A lot of methods of tuning but a common one is around harmonic frequencies and that is a factor of the barrel length and adding additional length to the end of the barrel. The Purdy method for example on a 22" barrel and the 7th harmonic puts the extended length to somewhere around 24.5". So 2.5" past the muzzle. An ec tuner doesn't do that.

Ignoring that - We have general tuning like the Harrell's tuner. It has 500 settings and each revolution is 25 clicks. So 20 revolutions. The EC tuner only allows for about 5 revolutions.

Also those tuners will allow for further extensions and weight attachments to find that perfect tune. The EC tuner doesn't.

EC tuner gives you a rough PRS tune. I wouldn't say it compares to the benchrest tuning.

Do any of these tuners have detents? If not they all are infinitely adjustable. You really only need 360* to get the weight dialed in. That's why a tuner is a tuner. Some look cooler or are easier to adjust and some require a barrel to be profiled but they all do the same fucking thing in essentialy the same way.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo2
The Harrell adjusts by thousandths of an inch. What does a click on the EC equal?

In my experience 80 percent of the range (half inch) of a Harrell is not needed to find a tune. The ability to alter the weight is valuable depending on barrel length/profile.

Yes, they all do the same thing essentially the same way but not equally well depending on the application.

Reactions: todde
Do any of these tuners have detents? If not they all are infinitely adjustable. You really only need 360* to get the weight dialed in. That's why a tuner is a tuner. Some look cooler or are easier to adjust and some require a barrel to be profiled but they all do the same fucking thing in essentialy the same way.
I don't buy that all you need is one rotation to find the best tune. Killoughs has been tuning rimfire rifles in their tunnel and they test out the 5 revolutions that EC supports or the 20 for Harrell

EC tuner extends out by about .5"

Harrell's I think goes out 1"

Reactions: Shayne Ward
I suppose if you wanted you could measure the rotation as finely as you like, nothing stopping you but a $5 flexible ruler. (or use a calipers for an OAL measurement)

The point being made is unless there is a detent for each marking, they are Infinitely adjustable. Just because there is no marking doesn't mean you can set it to where it's best in tune. It's a mass of weight on the end of the gun that will favor in one direction 360 to get the harmonics in line. If you can't find the tune in one revolution, you are skipping over an optimal setting most likely.

The point being made is unless there is a detent for each marking, they are Infinitely adjustable. Just because there is no marking doesn't mean you can set it to where it's best in tune. It's a mass of weight on the end of the gun that will favor in one direction 360 to get the harmonics in line. If you can't find the tune in one revolution, you are skipping over an optimal setting most likely.
Correct me if I misunderstood your statement, you could find the optimum tune in one complete revolution of a tuner? IE a Harrell would be 25 clicks or 0.025 from the zero mark.

Lee

Its simple. You are rotating mass around the barrel until that mass minimizes the harmonic wave or frequency or whatever the fuck it is. Having the mass in the same spot on the barrel but being 1/8th of inch or less down the barrel is insignificant.

Having more than a full rotation in pointless. You have 0-360* to figure out where that mass needs to be to optimize group size.

A tuner is a fucking tuner is a fucking tuner. They all do the same thing. Thats why there are like a dozen plus different brands and everyone claims theirs works. They do.

And unless you are shooting benchrest or the other nerd disciplines, they aren't even needed. For PRS22/NRL22/X just about any quality match ammo will shoot accurate enough to win. I threw an ATS tuner on my vudoo and haven't even touched it. Still winning matches. Everything I have shot through it is a ragged hole and easy to get hits out past 400. Its just extra mass on the end of the barrel now to help with balance.

• Haha
To whom it may concern ...

This is the first time I have ever seen reference to the idea that a 'tune' is the optimal axial position of the rotating mass that is the tuner.

The rest of us misguided souls believe that some combination of mass and position of that mass in the axis of the barrel, usually beyond the muzzle, will in fact provide the optimal tune. Pity us, if only we had known.

I for one have mistakenly been a disciple, nay, a follower, even a sheep, fooled by the alleged expertise of the practitioners of the nerd disciplines. That unwashed horde of national level benchrest shooters who have led me astray. I hang my head in shame that I have been so foolish.

Last edited:
74pagx.jpg

What distance out do these settings correspond to? IE. One click on a Harrell is a thous, a revolution is 25 clicks/thous.
The thread pitch on the EC tuners is 20, so one revolution equals .050"....

Reactions: Williwaw
Its simple. You are rotating mass around the barrel until that mass minimizes the harmonic wave or frequency or whatever the fuck it is. Having the mass in the same spot on the barrel but being 1/8th of inch or less down the barrel is insignificant.

Having more than a full rotation in pointless. You have 0-360* to figure out where that mass needs to be to optimize group size.

A tuner is a fucking tuner is a fucking tuner. They all do the same thing. Thats why there are like a dozen plus different brands and everyone claims theirs works. They do.

And unless you are shooting benchrest or the other nerd disciplines, they aren't even needed. For PRS22/NRL22/X just about any quality match ammo will shoot accurate enough to win. I threw an ATS tuner on my vudoo and haven't even touched it. Still winning matches. Everything I have shot through it is a ragged hole and easy to get hits out past 400. It’s just extra mass on the end of the barrel now to help with balance.
Winning matches??? 🫣

Attachments

• D85FF935-0728-442B-855C-30C7D0C475B8.png
    D85FF935-0728-442B-855C-30C7D0C475B8.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • Haha
Reactions: Big Timber
I will throw in my 2 cents. I have both styles of EC tuners. The original and the V2 new style. Both of them are actually threaded onto the barrels by the gunsmith no adapters. The V2 I have is actually a prototype made for a M24 contour barrel.

The original is I believe 4 turns out at 0. It was tuned by Joeseph at Killoughs using his method and I have never touched it since. The gun hammers with just about any decent match ammo.

My second rifle with the V2 was just tuned by Joseph last week and it ended up 2 turns in on 0. The V2 starts at the very end of the barrel and the turns screw it onto the threads.

I had always heard and even from reading what Eric Cortina had put out that 1 revolution was all that was needed. Simply not true. You are leaving some on the table if you stop at one rev imo. I have read or watched on YouTube where Eric actually states that his new tuner (V2) was designed so it could be screwed onto the barrel more that one revolution and not have the threads showing like on the original version.

Hope this helps add to the confusion 🤣🤣

Reactions: memilanuk
I will throw in my 2 cents. I have both styles of EC tuners. The original and the V2 new style. Both of them are actually threaded onto the barrels by the gunsmith no adapters. The V2 I have is actually a prototype made for a M24 contour barrel.

The original is I believe 4 turns out at 0. It was tuned by Joeseph at Killoughs using his method and I have never touched it since. The gun hammers with just about any decent match ammo.

My second rifle with the V2 was just tuned by Joseph last week and it ended up 2 turns in on 0. The V2 starts at the very end of the barrel and the turns screw it onto the threads.

I had always heard and even from reading what Eric Cortina had put out that 1 revolution was all that was needed. Simply not true. You are leaving some on the table if you stop at one rev imo. I have read or watched on YouTube where Eric actually states that his new tuner (V2) was designed so it could be screwed onto the barrel more that one revolution and not have the threads showing like on the original version.

Sounds like you found the magical frequency where all projectiles leave the barrel at the exact same location.

magic-confetti.gif

To whom it may concern ...

This is the first time I have ever seen reference to the idea that a 'tune' is the optimal axial position of the rotating mass that is the tuner.

The rest of us misguided souls believe that some combination of mass and position of that mass in the axis of the barrel, usually beyond the muzzle, will in fact provide the optimal tune. Pity us, if only we had known.

I for one have mistakenly been a disciple, nay, a follower, even a sheep, fooled by the alleged expertise of the practitioners of the nerd disciplines. That unwashed horde of national level benchrest shooters who have led me astray. I hang my head in shame that I have been so foolish.
Hey Will, you think you have been fooled in believing all that RFBR stuff. look at me I been using as little mass as possible. no wonder I couldn't put all 50 shots inside the quarter at 100yds.

Lee

Attachments

• Lite tuner measurments - Copy.JPG
    Lite tuner measurments - Copy.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 50 at 100.jpg
    50 at 100.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 50 at 100 1411.jpg
    50 at 100 1411.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 78
Lee we found the holy grail! He can get it tuned within one full revolution on the tuner. How did we miss that one? Hope all is well my friend..... Sam Wells
Hey Sam, I guess John has it wrong too, no wonder he finished 5th at the indoor nationals! and tied a 3-year-old record.

I have been well.

Lee

That is the correct way to tune you have to shoot and adjust and not use some perceived notion you only have to go to a certain spot.
once you find the correct setting you're done. I have one rifle that the tuner hasn't been touched in about 7 years and like your rifle it shoots just about anything.

Lee

To the OP Mark CZ I apologize for going off subject. if you use the same method as Shayne Ward did to tune you will be fine.
I would add go by no more than 5 marks or clicks when adjusting anything more and you could pass over the setting you are looking for.

good luck with the tuning.

Lee

What is his tuning method?

What is his tuning method?
Picked 5 random lots and fired 2 shots from each lot for a 10 shot group at each revolution. Found the revolution that grouped the best and then tested all around that area until narrowing it down to the final setting. That’s the short and sweet version anyway…
Attached pic is 10 shots from 5 random lots. Lot speeds ranged from 1050-1085 but if you know Eley ammo that doesn’t mean anything. He isn’t the only person that tunes like this as I have read elsewhere of this method. I like having him do the tuning because it takes a lot of the variables out of the equation.

Without a doubt it works. I had a baseline on some Tenex that had before going there and was totally unimpressed with the lot in this rifle. What was a great lot in another rifle wasn’t even a player for practice ammo in this rifle imo. After him tuning the rifle the same lot is printing .75 average 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

For what it’s worth I have 2 Vudoo rifles chambered by MCR with Krieger barrels. One at 25.5” long and one at 27” long. They both shoot the same lots of ammo equally well. Really tough to pick the best rifle. The 27” shoots some of the lots from the 25.5” better than it did. But…. The lot that was tested at Eley for the 27” the 25.5” shoots better. 🤣

Both rifles are exactly the same otherwise and both wear a 7x35 ATACR. The pic with the 4x20 was just when I slapped it together.

Attachments

• 453C2907-BE33-41B6-A59D-4C2EA6EA9958.jpeg
    453C2907-BE33-41B6-A59D-4C2EA6EA9958.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 114
  • BCFB7BB9-7059-49F7-9649-92EC995484E5.jpeg
    BCFB7BB9-7059-49F7-9649-92EC995484E5.jpeg
    776.6 KB · Views: 108
Got the EC V2 tuner for Christmas. It will be Thursday before I can shoot it. I will post some results.

I've got 2 of them. Once they are tuned, LEAVE THEM WHERE THEY ARE.... Have found that they aren't repeatable when taking the barrel out of tune and going back to the original setting.

Have seen some good improvement from them on my LW 1:12, 24" though. Dropped about 1/2 MOA out of my group at 100.

Have another on a Proof prefit carbon (1:16, 20") that's on my daughter's Rim-x. It "helped" but didn't see much improvement with a range of ammo/lots.

Last edited:
I've got 2 of them. Once they are tuned, LEAVE THEM WHERE THEY ARE.... Have found that they aren't repeatable when taking the barrel out of tune and going back to the original setting.
V1 or V2? With adapters?

V2's.
My LW 1-12 uses a 3/4-24 that's been modified so that face of the tuner is at the muzzle. My daughter's Proof is using an out of the box 1/2-28 adapter.
I wondered about how repeatable they were. Would you find you were close to the tune or required a lot of adjustment?

I wondered about how repeatable they were. Would you find you were close to the tune or required a lot of adjustment?
I retune with each lot anyway so as long as you stick with a setting that works for a particular lot, you’re good. Just don’t move off of that setting with a large adjustment.

Reactions: BigDaddy0381
Help me out here, I have a voodoo 360 with a 20 inch MTU barrel. I only shoot PRS with it. I see the process of the tune at 50yds then fine tune out to 200. Do you find that the fine tune holds good for 50-350yds? Or are guys changing the tune for known farther/closer targets? Im essentially trying to sort out if a tuner is beneficial also to PRS/Mars stuff