• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Error in measuring bore height...

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
I had a little time on my hands today. Sat down with the Kestrel, locked the environmentals and experimented with how bore height affected my dope. I took a lot of time to measure my bore height and came up with 2.10 inches. Let’s just say that IS correct, I checked to see how .25”, .5” and .75” longer and shorter would have an affect. Probably useless but to someone wondering who maybe doesn’t have a kestrel or calipers might find reassuring that a regular old ruler would get you close.

Attachments

• C0053A26-751C-4B20-BF53-FEC3BCDB29F6.jpeg
    C0053A26-751C-4B20-BF53-FEC3BCDB29F6.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 3DA9A9AE-3EDD-4BEA-A8FA-210D8F96BFD2.jpeg
    3DA9A9AE-3EDD-4BEA-A8FA-210D8F96BFD2.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 9264E600-4596-4F72-9D7E-465CC7D8C284.jpeg
    9264E600-4596-4F72-9D7E-465CC7D8C284.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Rokfor2K
Try shooting paper at 25 yards with wrong bore height. See how big a difference there is

It can be used to manipulate (for good and bad) in software just like any other variable we can change.

There have been rare times where I’ve used sight height to manipulate software into matching real world dope.

Care to elaborate? Ammo is getting expensive
Run it through a ballistic program and you’ll see the difference. I never actually ran LR data for anything closer than 50yds, so this is pretty cool to see. Obviously your target size & intended POI dictates if you need to give a shit about any of this.
#BoredAFAtWork
03999C6E-0962-48C1-8591-11DD947E7060.jpeg

Reactions: USMC22
Run it through a ballistic program and you’ll see the difference. I never actually ran LR data for anything closer than 50yds, so this is pretty cool to see. Obviously your target size & intended POI dictates if you need to give a shit about any of this.
#BoredAFAtWorkView attachment 7439981

So using the largest error, at 10 yards, you have 1.2 Mils. You’re looking at a .43” difference if you could dial for a 25 yard shot having a 100 yard zero... take into thought that the bullet diameter is .308 in our examples it would get lost in the “noise”.

We have a match with a 25 yard target . A pencil sticking out of a post. Your sh at close range has a bigger effect than u think. The first time I shot it my sh was a little off I missed pencil first shot .

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I need some sleep, I’m going back and forth on my math
Don’t lose sleep on it 😂 Unless you are needing to put a round in the center of a B&T Ind ace of spades (#FreeCert) or there’s some sort of special mall ninja hostage target stage (#ShootTheHostageAndTakeThePowerAwayFromTheBaddie), you don’t need to lose sleep.

EDIT: or the pencil tree situation mentioned above. But if you aren’t a competitor or LA SWAT EOD Tech that shoots his partner before getting on a bus, then you’re good.

Reactions: Jabot
Don’t lose sleep on it 😂 Unless you are needing to put a round in the center of a B&T Ind ace of spades (#FreeCert) or there’s some sort of special mall ninja hostage target stage (#ShootTheHostageAndTakeThePowerAwayFromTheBaddie), you don’t need to lose sleep.

EDIT: or the pencil tree situation mentioned above. But if you aren’t a competitor or LA SWAT EOD Tech that shoots his partner before getting on a bus, then you’re good.
Lol roger. Long night. putting the crayons and thinking gear away for now.

Reactions: M8541Reaper