• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ES/SD data for various small rifle primers

Wtfhammer

sweat the details
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Montana
Does someone have charted data on ES/SD for equal loads with different primers? I have started a little of this with CCI 450 and BR4, but am wondering if anyone have a larger data set they would be willing to post that would encompass the major manufacturers CCI, Federal, etc.... thanks

IMO It's load and rifle specific, I don't think you could make an accurate chart without sampling a large number of potential guns/loads. I've seen BR2's give me extremely low SD's in one gun, better than 210M's by a large margin. Switch over to a different rifle with the same lot of primers and the results were the opposite.

Only thing you can do is test what works best in your gun for that specific load. Sure, it helps to start out with the primers that most folks are having success with, but that's not a guarantee you'll get the same results.

I agree with Sheldon. As an example, though not small rifle primers, I use Winchester Large rifle magnum primers in my .338 LM load and get very low SD/ES and great accuracy way out there. My friend, who uses the same model rifle and barrel combo, same brass brand, bullet and powder, get's higher SD/ES with Winchester, but great results with Federal 215M and a different charge weight. So I bought his WLRM primers from him.

I agree with the guys above. I posted a test here recently comparing the br-4 vs the 450, but the primary goal was to determine if they were the same primer(cup strength and brisance), and it appears they are the same.

Primers are cheap though, so buy some and test away. The data is interesting in any event. Post youre results please.