• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ES using a Chrono

Trapshooter12

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2009
Nevada
I watched a video yesterday and they were talking about using a Chrono to find the velocity plateau for ES.

Using a Rem 260 with H4350 and Hornady 123 Eld and CCI primers does anyone have an idea about what velocity the plateau starts to show up.

Trying to get a rough idea before I start so that I don't miss something.

There may be some confusion here not knowing the source of your info. A velocity plateau is not a term I am familiar with but I suspect they are looking for a spot where the velocity doesn't change as much for a change in powder charge. If this is what sometimes referred to as the Satterlee method, or a velocity ladder. Scott Satterlee was the impetus behind the method a few years ago but has since changed. The "flat spot" is a function of the testing not a function of the charge weight. Look for some recent posts concerning "flat spot'.

I watched a video yesterday and they were talking about using a Chrono to find the velocity plateau for ES.

Using a Rem 260 with H4350 and Hornady 123 Eld and CCI primers does anyone have an idea about what velocity the plateau starts to show up.

Trying to get a rough idea before I start so that I don't miss something.
It's been proven, on more than one occasion, that doing this kind of testing is really a waist of time and components. You're better off focusing on what you get on your targets.

What your chrono can tell you is how well you're loading your cartridges; that's all, other than having data you can use in ballistic calculations for firing solutions.

1672427076538.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doom