• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ES vs SD question....

Bill2662

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2012
Westford, New York
Hi all, new to the hide. I know this question has most likely been beat to death but here it goes,
Started reloading for a new rifle, this one really got me curious because seems it doesn't matter cold bore, hot, it puts everything in the same place. So I just want to have some fun and how far I can take it.

Vanguard ( factory .308 win)
24" tube

Load:
175 smk
44.5 Varget
2.279@Ogive
2.869 COAL
Hornady Brass trimmed 2.011, neck sized.
fed210 primer
AVG 2666fps
SD 6
ES 16
(from a 20 shot string)
At 200 groups are holding at .5
(This load works in MY rifle safely with no pressure signs. No idea how it will work in some else's. So if you try it work up to it safely.)

Question is, I'm just wondering if I should do some more development and try to get the ES in the single digits or just call it good. No place close to home to stretch out past 200. Probably make the drive anyway and test it out at longer ranges so I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get the ES into the single digits. Different seating depth, etc.. or could it just be caused by the difference in the barrel heating up.

Last edited:
It's seems you have a very solid load there. You know what it can do. You can try very small things like a different primer (sometimes people find magnum primers help with SDs and ES. ). Seating depth may be a option but neck tension adjustment may be better? I am still not the most seasoned loader so I defer to those with more time tweaking. I just offering points to look at. Anyone else?

Question is, I'm just wondering if I should do some more development and try to get the ES in the single digits or just call it good. No place close to home to stretch out past 200. Probably make the drive anyway and test it out at longer ranges so I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get the ES into the single digits.

I wouldn't chase the number. At this point the next step is seeing how it groups at distance and what kind of waterline it holds. On the bleeding edge of accuracy at 1000 yards sometimes the SD/ES numbers no longer coincide with what makes the smallest group with the least vertical at distance.

Your target has to be the deciding factor, can you improve it? I've had not stellar ES numbers hold vertical at a grand and did well. I also shot 5 shots, 6 creed, 105 hybrid, all were 3155 that shot 12" at 500 yards.
ES is an important number, yes, but even the first shot using a magneto can be subject. Plus you can have a high and low number that do not fall in the range of most of your testers, and the more you fire, the more your SD numbers drop.
If you are not happy, get to work, lol

I think a better brass would drop your numbers. I was running Hornady and when I went to ADG my SD/ES numbers dropped significantly and I am getting better velocity. I would be happy with those numbers from Hornady though, very close to what I was getting before I changed brass. With ADG I get SD of low 4s or lower all the time.

Reactions: Bill2662
It's seems you have a very solid load there. You know what it can do. You can try very small things like a different primer (sometimes people find magnum primers help with SDs and ES. ). Seating depth may be a option but neck tension adjustment may be better? I am still not the most seasoned loader so I defer to those with more time tweaking. I just offering points to look at. Anyone else?
You are more in tune than you credit yourself with. A guy can read till you vapor lock yourself.
I'm not quite as onboard with primer changes, even though I did just make one on a Dasher and it helped. Today for me, assuming I made a good bullet choice, and bought sound uniform brass. The powder charge, seat depth of the bullet, and neck tension in that order is what I concentrate on.

Thanks guys. Well, right now looking to get out to 600yds. It's actually amazing to me that a factory rifle is doing this well.
Factory rifles do very well nowadays. I shot mine out to a mile before rebuilding it. Did milk jug challenge with it too. 2nd round impact at 1k and 5th round impact at 1200.

Factory rifles do very well nowadays. I shot mine out to a mile before rebuilding it. Did milk jug challenge with it too. 2nd round impact at 1k and 5th round impact at 1200.
I'd like to try that this one. Not sure where I could go around here to try at 1000. 600yd range I can find no problem.
* Actually I take that back, just found a 1k range 70 miles away.* lol