• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Esee5 vs. Ratmandu

Re: Esee5 vs. Ratmandu

I'm not really a big knife guy, so take this with a grain of salt (or less)... I only have experience with the ESEE 5, but that thing is fucking awesome! I think it's a great knife for the money & I don't have a bit of buyer's remorse over it's purchase. It chops the shit out of sticks & sits on the side of my pack real nice. As you may have guessed, I don't really use it all that often, but I'm pretty sure it's all the knife I'm ever going to need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not really a big knife guy, so take this with a grain of salt (or less)... I only have experience with the ESEE 5, but that thing is fucking awesome! I think it's a great knife for the money & I don't have a bit of buyer's remorse over it's purchase. It chops the shit out of sticks & sits on the side of my pack real nice. As you may have guessed, I don't really use it all that often, but I'm pretty sure it's all the knife I'm ever going to need. </div></div>

^Exactly. I love my ESEE5 and don't foresee myself buying another utility knife for a long long time. Hell of a fine piece of steel that does all I need it to do, and more.

I ordered myself a ratmandu a few days ago. When it gets here in 5 to 6 weeks I'll let you know what I think of it.... Yeah bit of a wait time for the swamp rat stuff. They're both very nice knifes for the money. Don't think you'd be unhappy with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunjunkie45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered myself a ratmandu a few days ago. When it gets here in 5 to 6 weeks I'll let you know what I think of it.... Yeah bit of a wait time for the swamp rat stuff. They're both very nice knifes for the money. Don't think you'd be unhappy with either. </div></div>

Cool. Post up your thoughts after you have played with it. After scouring Bladeforums.com I ended up ordering the Esee 4. It seemed a bit better all-arounder than the 5 and no wait like the Rat. I also picked up a Esee Izula 2 while I was at it.

Hey Rob why the 5? The 5 is almost 50% heavier. Check out the ESEE 6, I like it better than the 5 and seems plenty strong to me. 3/16 is still pretty thick.

Now if you are cutting your way out of 55 gal drums on a regular basis then by all means go with the 5 and choose better friends lol.

I like the 1095 steel...yes it will rust but it is not brittle and sharpens easily. The harder tool type steels do hold an edge longer but are not easily sharpened and are more brittle.

I was initially looking at the 5 based on blade length and price. It wasn't until I became more educated on knives that I realized the 5 wasn't what I was needing. I think the 4 will be great for most tasks especially alongside the Izula. I almost picked up the 6 and may in the future. It seems as though nice knives are an addiction so I can easily see adding a 6 to the collection.
grin.gif

Rob, good call on the Izula... I got a 3 when I got the 5 but wish I would have gotten the Izula. Oh wait, this is 'Merica, guess I could just go buy it too, hmmm...

J Ham, having only played with it, I can see the Izula II as being very useful. The thing is razor sharp and has a nice blade contour. It actually fits my larger hand pretty well and the grip feels good. I picked mine up at Knifeworks.com for a good price. I bought the "kit" so I had some carry options. And you are right, this is 'Merica, so pick one up
grin.gif

ESEE 5: I bought one, owned it a week, and sold it. It's a master of nothing = there are better pry bars at Home Depot and there are better knives in my kitchen drawer. A 1/4" thick piece of steel that short isn't a knife, it's a novelty.

The RC5 is way to think for most slicing tasks and too short for chopping tasks. I'd recommend a RC4/RC3 and a folding hand saw. A big chopper knife uses too much energy compared to a hand saw. Check out Silky Saws (http://www.silkysaws.com/). I used to have a RC6 too and just didn't work for me.. I use a RC4 as it is durable, nimble and light. I've not had a RC3 but I'm sure that would be nice as well.