• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Etched Mil-dot?

Re: Etched Mil-dot?

I am pretty sure all modern reticles are etched into glass. I am not aware of any that aren't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunlove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am pretty sure all modern reticles are etched into glass. I am not aware of any that aren't. </div></div>

There are still wire reticles made. I believe that the new Mk4's use a wire reticle.

Glass etched reticles are easy to make in quantity and to the proper specs.

They are etched onto a flat piece of glass.
If an enemy is using a laser scanning device used to locate optical devices, the beam will reflect off of this flat piece of glass directly back to the scanning device(not sure what the name of the device) the objective and ocular lenses are convex and have multiple coatings to decrease reflection.

Or so I have heard (according to Mike Lau in his book)

Good deal. I just need to make sure the power it is calibrated at. I have seen 10x and 14x as the most common cal powers?

Am I off base with that mind set?

I don't believe any Leupolds are wire. I think wire is reserved for very cheap scopes now.
A little bit of History: Mildot reticles were made with wire in the past and the dots were knots tied around the wire. Mil dot reticles were created for binoculars used by the Navy. Then they transitioned to rifle scopes, and I believe only the first few were made with knots.

From the user end the advantage of etched reticles is they don't break like a wire reticle would. I've seen a couple Unertls go down for that. I know we were always told the dots were soldered onto the wire, and that leaving your scope cover off allowing direct sunlight to enter the objective would melt the dots off. Never saw that one happen though but we sure made certain our scopes were covered.

I agree with the FFP comment from fdkay. It isn't for everyone, especially with the upcharge it always commands, but I'm a believer it is for everyone that uses a mil reticle for what it is intended but want the versatility of a variable. The power setting becomes one less thing to worry about.