• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Etched reticle prism for 9mm AR

Darryle

Geezer
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
I need a an etched reticle prism, something 1x that will work with my astigmatism. I have a Bushnell Lil P prism on another rifle that I love, should have bought a dozen of them, because they are perfect for me.

Something with an adjustable diopter and etched reticle is a must, cowitness, 3 MOA center dot or smaller center dot and shake awake technology would be nice. Something with a solid reputation and warranty also.

This will be a bedside rifle to compliment my Mossberg 930 HD. Aero EPC-9 w/16" barrel to cover anything from chicken coop intruders to things that go bump in the night.

I would like to keep it under or at $500, so I am open to suggestions.

I didn't see anything on Holosun's website, at least that I could find. I see Vortex offers a couple, Athlon has 1, I am open to suggestions.

Vortex Spitfire AR or older Spitfire is what you want. No shake awake but has everything else. It's a Leupold Prismatic except with a mount and illumination that doesn't suck ass.

I also had a Burris AR1X. The center dot was massive and I found a bdc reticle to be completely useless in a 1x prism.

Reactions: Darryle
FWI: Have had excellent luck using the original Leupold Tactical Prismatic on my AR9. Ended up mounting a Aimpoint T-1 4MOA onto a G17 great. Decided things are going great and put a Aimpoint PRO on a AR, and just like Icarus I flew to close to the Sun. Like Darryle I have a significant astigmatism, the prism optics are great as is the T-1 but that PRO may as well be a comet in the sky, making it work for the time being but thinking maybe try the Vortex Spitfire next. My shooting style with the AR9 mounted prismatic allows for me to mount the optic forward enough it rides on the upper rail with both eyes open this rifle setup is fast and accurate. Primary Arms have shot it on a friends carbine and did not care for the reticle chevron type BDC all i need is a dot or crosshair setup.

Reactions: Darryle
Quick update, didn't really want to order the Primary Arms prism for the 9mm because of the "Made in China" aspect.

I will admit, this thing is robust and well constructed. Their warranty is comforting in the off chance I need to use it and they are a Texas company, so I had it in about 36/38hrs from the time I ordered it.

I will update once I have had a chance to get to the range.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.