• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping is ridiculous!

Hang on... $90 bolt knob so taxes at the minimum (Lets guess 7%) would be $6.30 (Around here it's 9.875% so $8.89) so thats $96.30 to 98.89 and you were all in for $117.14 so shipping was somewhere between $18.00 and $20.00? Who was the shipper? Because I can ship ONE o-ring ($0.20 and 1/10 of an ounce) to a customer in-state UPS ground and they are hitting me for a 1 pound minimum and I'm looking at $16.00-ish. So $96.30 to 98.89+16.00 equals $112.30 to $114.89. Seems just about right. Don't like it? Blame Wayfair (out of state sales tax shenanagins) and the shippers (Out to fuck us all!). BTW, a USPS small flat rate is $10.40 now.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Shipping is stupid anyway. I can ship to California from NC for cheaper that I can ship to the next county. UPS. Even had the regional rep try to explain why that was so. He wasn't successful. Or I could ship for USPS with inaccurate tracking if any, delivery a few days later than tracking promises and typical gubment imcompetance.

Shipping is stupid anyway. I can ship to California from NC for cheaper that I can ship to the next county. UPS. Even had the regional rep try to explain why that was so. He wasn't successful. Or I could ship for USPS with inaccurate tracking if any, delivery a few days later than tracking promises and typical gubment imcompetance.
Amateur.

I've bought things from the UK (to NZ) that not only had cheaper shipping but also quicker, than ordering from a city 6 hours drive away.

Having bought stuff from all over the globe I'm convinced shipping prices and times are completely at the whim of the shipping company.
DHL shipping from the UK is extremely quick and often not badly priced, Royal mail is dirt cheap but a bit slower.

Anything shipped from the US takes for ever and is hit or miss to whether its expensive or not. Unless it's Amazon in which case it's both fast and cheap.

FedEx from the UK seems to be really quick but from the US it's not.

Reactions: ggmanning
Shipping is a crap shoot. Does not matter the carrier anymore.

Consider yourself lucky if your item doesn't get lost or take 30 days to travel two states.

Amateur.

I've bought things from the UK (to NZ) that not only had cheaper shipping but also quicker, than ordering from a city 6 hours drive away.

Having bought stuff from all over the globe I'm convinced shipping prices and times are completely at the whim of the shipping company.
DHL shipping from the UK is extremely quick and often not badly priced, Royal mail is dirt cheap but a bit slower.

Anything shipped from the US takes for ever and is hit or miss to whether its expensive or not. Unless it's Amazon in which case it's both fast and cheap.

FedEx from the UK seems to be really quick but from the US it's not.
I bought a rib protector from Italy, shipping was 15 euros. Got here, from Italy, in 3 days. I've had a water bill, mailed from 5 miles away, take 3 weeks to get to me through the post office. You could have taped it to a turtle, and it would have gotten here quicker.

The chinese can ship to the US for next to nothing, but we all get absolutely fucked in prices, quality of service, and speed of service. I shipped a box of stuff to Australia and it was like $90...and that was heavily discounted.

Back nearly 20 years ago now I was a BIG seller on ebay, selling thousands of products a month on there. I did a crapload of international shipping to. There once was a time when international shipping was reasonable. 1 to 2lbs boxes that were fairly small would ship just about anywhere in the world for $15-$20. I could ship really small electronics for $8-$10. Can't do that anymore. I once shipped 2 entire pallets of electronics to Ukraine for under $500, and it was easy to do.

I understand that inflation, and what not has made things more expensive, but I don't see why it costs us so much more to ship to the rest of the world, but the rest of the world can ship to us for a fraction of the cost.

Branden

I was going to buy 100 cardboard backers for $100 dollars online but shipping was $250 so I have instead begun buying Staples cardboard boxes for $5 and then cutting them into multiple cardboard backers.

I'm not going to pay $250 to ship a stack of 100 cardboard backers from two states away.

Build Back Better! Thanks Joe!

Midway USA has IDPA & USPSA full-size cardboard 25 packs @ $22.49. "Free shipping" at $99 order total, CONUS.

"Normal" Midway price ~$35/25 pack.

I usually have a list running of small parts, do-dads & trinkets we want, but can wait on. Specifically to catch the "free ship" cycles there...

Reactions: LawTalker
I bought a rib protector from Italy, shipping was 15 euros. Got here, from Italy, in 3 days. I've had a water bill, mailed from 5 miles away, take 3 weeks to get to me through the post office. You could have taped it to a turtle, and it would have gotten here quicker.

The chinese can ship to the US for next to nothing, but we all get absolutely fucked in prices, quality of service, and speed of service. I shipped a box of stuff to Australia and it was like $90...and that was heavily discounted.

Back nearly 20 years ago now I was a BIG seller on ebay, selling thousands of products a month on there. I did a crapload of international shipping to. There once was a time when international shipping was reasonable. 1 to 2lbs boxes that were fairly small would ship just about anywhere in the world for $15-$20. I could ship really small electronics for $8-$10. Can't do that anymore. I once shipped 2 entire pallets of electronics to Ukraine for under $500, and it was easy to do.

I understand that inflation, and what not has made things more expensive, but I don't see why it costs us so much more to ship to the rest of the world, but the rest of the world can ship to us for a fraction of the cost.

Branden
Let me guess... DHL? That is the one shipper that has their shit together! Bought a Kawasaki drive motor for a Cat outta Japan and had it in 3 days! I swear they do their customs stuff mid flight!

Reactions: Short-bus
I bought a bolt stop from Surgeon a little while back. Tiny little piece, couple ounces at the most. At checkout, the shipping was $20. So, I called them to see if it was a mistake or if it could be reduced. A small paper/plastic bubble mailer is less than $5 pretty much anywhere in the lower 48. They informed me that was the correct price and that they only used FedEx for shipping.

Yall can praise a company (even EO) all you want, but dont try to deny they are fucking you (making profit) on shipping charges.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I bought a bolt stop from Surgeon a little while back. Tiny little piece, couple ounces at the most. At checkout, the shipping was $20. So, I called them to see if it was a mistake or if it could be reduced. A small paper/plastic bubble mailer is less than $5 pretty much anywhere in the lower 48. They informed me that was the correct price and that they only used FedEx for shipping.

Yall can praise a company (even EO) all you want, but dont try to deny they are fucking you (making profit) on shipping charges.

If they only use FedEx shipping and they were shipping to your residential address then the $20 shipping is quite possibly what they were getting charged by FedEx.

FedEx (and often UPS) charge a fairly high surcharge for residential deliveries and also charge extended service area fees.
So if you gave them a business address in a city center it might be $11 for the same shipping as compared to possibly $25 for a rural residential address.

So for small, low value things to Residential areas you almost sometimes have to ship via USPS to be competitive and then you'll have to deal with customers complaining that USPS isn't as fast or as efficient or as whatever as FedEx or UPS. At least USPS tracking has finally gotten a fair bit better.

Reactions: nikonNUT