• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Evading a Sniper

Re: Evading a Sniper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmMJntSfQI
wink.gif

You cannot evade a sniper. You might think you are getting away but he is actuall dialing you in at the longer ranges. You are making his day. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real funny guys, I was asking a serious question. </div></div>Sorry man, it must be a topic most don't think about. Hope you find the answer you seek, Good luck

In all seriousness, there are members on this forum that are mil/LE snipers, and disseminating the information you requested would simply be in bad form. They have no idea if you're some guy who's generally curious, or some lunatic that will put evading a sniper/spotter team in rural/urban areas into actual use.

I have the feeling this thread will go about the same as the "how do I evade search dogs" thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the topic isn't covered because the people who need to know, get training...

</div></div>

^^^ This

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real funny guys, I was asking a serious question. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...give some tips & advice on evading sniper & spotter teams in the rural & urban setting?!? </div></div>You misunderstand the role of a sniper/spotter team. They don't search for you; you come to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real funny guys, I was asking a serious question. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...give some tips & advice on evading sniper & spotter teams in the rural & urban setting?!? </div></div>You misunderstand the role of a sniper/spotter team. They don't search for you; you come to them. </div></div>

Exactly...

Want a tip... go become a Sniper or take some civilian course promising snipery tactical training and the reverse engineer it... if you can.

The truth is... in a combat environment, the only real way to "Evade a Sniper" is to lock yourself in a bunker for the duration... good luck with that.

Obviously there are lots of guys around here who like being apart of the nanny state. Just because a woman is equiped to be a protitute doesn't mean she will become one. The idea that I could be some crazy person is ridiculous, lets grow up. I will be sure not to ask any serious questions anymore. "Those who need to know get trained" ha everyone should have weapons & some tactics training, because it just might save you one day.
Thanks for those who didn't give a ridiculous answer.

I thought all you needed to do was purchase one of those awesome Counter Sniper scopes.
cool.gif

If you have ever seen THE INLAWS then you know "Run serpentine, Shelly".

A lot of modern sniper/marksman training is the countersnipe role. It's a role reversal. Avoid obvious routes, exposing and silhouetting. Use of ground, map appreciated and intervisibility understanding.

Other considerations: Likely areas for FFPs. What makes you a target (or higher value target?), what are you wearing, what weapon system do you have, where do you sit in order of march?

Its no black art.

Dude don't you think when you ask shit like this they're gonna drop the opsec you don't need to know shit on you? No shit.... These dudes like arguing about suppressor paperwork and what the fantasy football picks are.

Spend time studying the craft of a sniper and you will simply know what one would have to do evade one.

A decent book that may help is called "fry the brain"

Shit ain't witchcraft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longbow_06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't take any hostages, you'll have no need to evade snipers.

Lee. </div></div>

Tell that to the civvies in Syria....bet they disagree

Sure seems like alot of these folks on here just can't help but give some smartass answer. So what if you think his question is silly. Your being just as silly by giving stupid answers. I'm willing to bet that if your buddy or close relative asks you the same question while drinking a few beers it would actually turn out to be a good conversation. Just because you don't know this dude, doesn't mean you are required to type a smartass comment if the question (isn't up to your standards) . Move along to the next (what type of scope for for remingtin 700 thread) and flame away at the guy trying to get into shooting.

Good question.

Not to get all political (so I won't), IF and this is a big IF, any number of TEOTWAKI scenarios should play out and military (police, US, UN, foreign) begin using long-range shooting skills on US citizens, you'll have a good reason to have and deploy such knowledge/skills/tactics.

That said, for basics, there are many many military Training and Field Manuals (TMs and FMs) which will expose you to the nuts and bolts of escape and evasion in an urban environment, suburban and rural settings.

Use your google fu and pray you never need the art you're researching.

But we are living in the proverbial "interesting times."

Counter sniper is a course I taught in the Army. They had a 300-ish page publication on it.

You don't really evade a sniper- they aren't following you and you running away, so much as you would be attempting to counter the threat of a sniper.

So if you are in an area with an active sniper threat, you'll want to keep moving, use ballooning techniques [I believe the British invented these during the early years of the IRA crap (zig zagging instead of walking in a straight line). Being aware of current TTP's used will allow you to know what to look for, using electronic devices that detect the source of gunfire, staying in armored vehicles, keeping shades pulled- stuff like that are really the best ways to counter that threat where it exists. Actively think about the highest threat area, and use cover whenever possible to minimize your largest threat. AKA if you have 10 buildings and 300 open windows on the left put a vehicle or other object capable of stopping a bullet between you and the 300 windows.

Usually in the areas our soldiers work, the enemy snipers are not very skilled, so they will be picking the most stationary target rather than the target of the most military importance, so just moving more than the other guy could be all it takes to stay alive.

It's a cruel world out there, but it's better to be a survivor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthernBorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Become a Tanker. Keep hatches closed. Worked for us. </div></div>

SCREW THAT! Join the Navy, become a FC. Most of your 6yr enlistment 4 yrs 4 months 22 days in fact will be AT sea AND you'll eat a heck of allot better. Damn ground pounders, Always given out bad advise. LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calebintn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have searched & cannot find much of anything on this topic.

Maybe some of you who have lived in the line of fire can give some tips & advice on evading sniper & spotter teams in the rural & urban setting?!? </div></div>

Oh God. Not this shit again.

Well I hide in a corner and blast anything that comes around my hidey hole, after a few kills send your attack dogs to kill the snipers, that or use air strike on area of map that is logical that a sniper could be hiding. If you have stealth the snipers can't see you from their uav's, helps I you have a gold played AK also, snipers know you are for real then. Also, it's a little known secret that snipers don't want you to know but a sniper can't shoot into a mom's basement, laws of land warfare, just a fact

the best urban combat technique was bombing the city flat and driving around it. i expect that works with snipers as well. Lowlight has point, no good shooting spots and a decent amount of smoke concealment makes your chances higher.

Beyond that it was answered well a few post ago. dont be predictable and stay under cover/concealment as much as possible. Dont be important looking. No one is going to waste their hide location on a scrub.

I know........hook up with user whoreable on here who post is below. You guys go out back behind Mall Of America, hide from each other and once you find each other strategize, rub dinkies together, and then go to TGIF and split a kids meal. While you are there you can share a coloring place mat and the 4 pack of colors.

Link to other failure LINK TO SNIPER

I like the brass band and firecrackers approach to evading snipers.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z6gzEwC6o5s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z6gzEwC6o5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Just have them march around you in circles and fling firecrackers. Any sniper in the vicinity will be laughing so hard that he'll never get a shot in.

Without sounding like a tool, my very basic suggestion would be to try hunting. Start with a stand and experience that. After that, maybe look into stalk-hunting. No, it doesn't involve shades and APCs and the like. But it gets you in the mindset of thinking about YOUR environment. And how you appear, look, sound, smell, etc to your adversary. And not just being there, but getting there without blowing your position.

Your frustration is coming from there not being an answer to your question. It's similar for someone walking into a martial arts studio and asking about the ninja-death-punch.

Your question is valid and shows intellectual curiosity. But it also shows what you don't know. Ask the question from the other end. What if you were the sniper hunting for your target? What tactics do you employ to better your chances? What tactics would your adversay employ to defeat those tactics? It quickly becomes a chicken and egg argument.

No, I am not a sniper. Never will be. Don't want to be. Can't be. But I know some very well. Some are OK (LEO). A few are fantastic. I tend to notice the fantastic ones are very cerebral, patient, accomplished hunters. Again, my uninformed opinion. But I am guessing it's the hunting that makes the sniper. Not the sniper that makes the hunter.

A guy who can shoot holes in holes on a square range out to 1000 yards is not a sniper. He's a shooter, marksman, Marine or whatever you call it. And that is great. But I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut most sniper-candidates flunk out of training for things OTHER than shooting.

My advice is worth what you paid for it.

Regards,
Greyson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the topic isn't covered because the people who need to know, get training...

</div></div>

I would ask that you sit back and reflect upon this statement and the obvious hypocrisy of it being posted on a firearms forum

There is nothing OPSEC about this... It's common sense, you just need to learn to apply it. Most military guys know the acronym OACOK which is as follows:

Observation of fields of fire.
Avenues of approach
Cover and Concealment
Obstacles
Key terrain features.

This can be applied for evasion by thinking of these principles in reverse of the original intent. Think if I was a sniper where would I set up for a shot? Am I in an open field of fire? Linear danger areas are a great example (i.e. roads). Anywhere you can see for long distances are places where you would avoid hanging out.

Avenues of approach, if I were a sniper where would I figure my target would appear in this area? Then avoid going those avenues that most targets would use to get to point A to B.

Cover and Concealment kinda play in with Obstacles in this case. Avoid sky lining and silhouetting yourself at all costs. This means standing in a door way, looking through windows, standing on roof tops, and all other manners that would betray you. A good spotter will look for the outlines of the human body so it's best to break this up. If you must look through a window stay well away from it and insure you aren't casting a shadow. If you have to cross a linear danger area do it quickly as it's harder to shoot something moving extremely fast than it is a slow or stationary target. Also if you have to look around corner get in the prone to look as most shooters will expect you to just look around the corner at head level. Don't take to much time though as a shooter will eventually spot the round object (your head) on the ground and happily remove it for you.

Key terrain features. Just be aware of your surroundings. Tall buildings, over passes, hills: you get the idea.

I've been taught to think, "How would I best *#&! me up". If you think that way you will avoid many of those dangerous positions.

OK OK I got the juice you seek.1.All black all the time (no exeptions)make it comfortable think pajamas or tactical snuggie. 2. Smoke grenades nunchucks. I know I know it sounds lame but this shit works. After popping the smoke swing fast and hard making a moving smoke screan around you: tip know where you are going because you will be blind and coughing in about 5. #3 most important if asked for your NFA papers tell them HELL NO. you will not have time to chit chat.

well, i dont know if its true, but i read somewhere that you may as well give up. the way i hear it is if you run, you just die tired

For one thing, the reason none of them want to tell you
is, NONE OF THEM KNOW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Spend time studying the craft of a sniper and you will simply know what one would have to do evade one.
</div></div>

You're answer, right here.

It's like your eyes. They are used for more than looking at tight ass.

I evaded one just the other day. He came out of the Lieutenant's office and started following me. I made a right turn at the water cooler, then a bee-line for the brieifing room, and lost him.
laugh.gif