• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Evaluate Reloading Setup

Vyx313

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2021
Wyoming
I have no experience reloading but I've read A Practical Guide to Reloading a couple times and watched a ton of youtube videos. Please look over my proposed setup and let me know if I'm missing anything and if there are better options anywhere. For now I'll just be reloading 6.5 CM. Primarily looking to get into PRS next year. Thanks!

Edit: Updated List - Added a few things I was missing and swapped out a few items for less expensive versions. I'm still very up in the air on case trimmers as this seems like a tedious task. I have a horizontal drill press so I may go with something like the Trim It II.

PartItemPriceComments
Calipers$ -Already Have
Bullet PullerRCBS POW'R Pull$ 25.00Maybe hornady cam lock
Reloading BlocksMTM Universal$ 20.00QTY 2
FunnelFrankford Arseanal AL Funnel$ 30.00
Headspace ComparatorHornady 5 Bushing Set$ 45.00
Bullet ComparatorHornady Basic Set$ 34.00
Case LubeHornady One Shot$ 18.00
Brass TumblerBerry QD500$ 70.00
MediaCorn Cob Media$ 10.00
Media SeparatorFrankford Arsenal Platinum Series$ 47.00
Hand PrimerFrankford Arsenal Perfect Seat$ 78.00
Case TrimmerGiraud$ 555.00Unsure about this. Maybe Trim It II ($180)
Case Prep/Debur/Bevel^^Combo with above$ -
Annealer$ -Skip for now.
Powder DispenserChargemaster Link$ 252.00
PressRCBS Rebel$ 240.00
Press MountUltramount for RCBS Rebel$ 80.00
Shell HolderShell Holder #3$ 6.00
Sizing DieRCBS Matchmaster Full Length 6.5$ 89.00
Seating Die^^Combo with above$ -
Neck BushingRCBS$ 4.50
$ 1,603.50Total

Previous List
PartItemPriceComments
Calipers$ -Already Have
Bullet PullerRCBS POW'R Pull$ 25.00
Brass TumblerRCBS Vibratory Polisher$ 68.00
Media Separator$ -Vibratory has sifting lid
Case TrimmerHenderson Gen 3$ 850.00#1 collet and 6.5 adjusted cutterhead
AnnealerAnnealeez (275)$ -Do I need this now?
Case Lube$ 15.00
Powder DispenserRCBS Matchmaster Powder Dispenser$ 579.00
PressRCBS Rebel$ 240.00
Neck BushingRCBS$ 4.50Unsure what size I need. Maybe get a few?
Hornady L&LLock and load bushings$ 22.00
$ 2,066.50Total

Last edited:
Personally I’d change a couple of things now and save the cost of upgrading down the road

Wet tumbling instead of dry

Giraud trimmer instead of Henderson

If you’re going to anneal then AMP!

Reactions: Vyx313
I still traditional tumble - look at pet store lizard walnut media

I use the RCBS Rebel - great press. Agree on the Ultramount

I am priming brass right now with the Frankford hand primer

Just a quality of life thing but the media separator that usually come with vibratory tumblers suck. Rotary case/media separators are more convenient.

Generally speaking, if you're using a bushing die you measure brass wall thickness with a ball/tube micrometer and do some math to get final loaded neck diameter with the amount of interference fit you desire or you get a set of them and play around. Many people also take the expander ball out of bushing dies and run an expander mandrel to set the neck I.D.

You might also want to add some loading blocks.

Personally I’d change a couple of things now and save the cost of upgrading down the road

Wet tumbling instead of dry

Giraud trimmer instead of Henderson

If you’re going to anneal then AMP!
Thanks for the input here. I definitely can't afford an AMP annealer right now but maybe one day.

On the Giraud vs the Henderson, that was a big toss up for me. After watching a bunch of videos I don't really know which way to go (but I know I'm not interested in doing all that by hand). What pushes you toward the Giraud?

For just starting out I wouldn’t buy a $850 trimmer. Get something for $50-$100 you can run with a drill. You don’t need to trim near enough to justify the cost of your buy all RCBS gear.

I’d take all that money and upgrade your other items.

I also would skip the match master loading and just get a regular chargemaster.

You haven’t budgeted for loading blocks, headspace and comparator kits to measure your process.

I wouldn’t buy an annealer until you can afford a AMP.

I’d slim that down to about 1000$ or less, and concentrate on components, like primers, bullets, powder and brass. Some of that Gucci stuff is nice, but not needed.
Components are getting pricey and some of them like certain primers are getting hard to come by.

For just starting out I wouldn’t buy a $850 trimmer. Get something for $50-$100 you can run with a drill. You don’t need to trim near enough to justify the cost of your buy all RCBS gear.

I’d take all that money and upgrade your other items.

I also would skip the match master loading and just get a regular chargemaster.

You haven’t budgeted for loading blocks, headspace and comparator kits to measure your process.
Thanks for this input. Headspace and comparator kits aren't something I really saw mentioned in what I was reading/watching. I'll look into these more.

Definitely get the Giraud trimmer over the Henderson. If you want to save even more money, just get a WFT trimmer. They do a great job and work with a drill, but don’t chamfer the case mouth.

You should invest in the Hornady bullet and headspace comparators, they don’t cost much and are essential measuring tools.

The Berrys vibe tumblers are great. I really like the Dillon media separator. It’s built much better and works much better than all the rest.

As for wet tumbling, just get a Franklin Arsenal FART.

Make sure that Rebel press can be converted to use the LNL die bushings, if it can, you’ll need to buy the adapter for the press.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I don't like the hammer type pullers. I have a hornady cam lock puller that is way less faff (noise and mess) for the few times I need to use it.

I do love my henderson trimmer- to the point I bought another when my first was stolen. It's probably saved me the most time/hand pain in reloading, but it is pricy, if you're trying to keep to a budget, it can probably wait until volume comes up.

You listed a lot of the little stuff, but didn't include case lube or a loading block. Imperial die wax is always a classic, but slow. I've been playing with the new alpha case lube as it's water soluble, but I think I may end up back at regular alcohol/lanolin when this bottle is done.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll digest some of this and re-evaluate. I've got some of the basics that I was missing added (blocks, comparators, etc.) It seems like it might be a good idea to save some money on the trimmer and powder dispenser for now.

Stick with wet tumbling your cases, and I do prefer the Henderson Precision case trimmer over all.

Why do you want to use the LnL bushings?
If saving 20 seconds of time with die changes is important, then I'd reassess the time you'll spend loading.
Remember, they are one more item that can cause tolerance stacking.

Reactions: Gohring65
Why do you want to use the LnL bushings?
If saving 20 seconds of time with die changes is important, then I'd reassess the time you'll spend loading.
Remember, they are one more item that can cause tolerance stacking.
I had just seen a few examples of people using them and they seemed like a convenient system. I didn’t think about tolerance stacking. That’s a good point and I can probably get rid of those.

Walnut media is a little finer, and doesn’t get stuck in the flash holes as much…cleans slightly faster, but not to as going of a shine.

Get a used Chargemaster 1500 off the for sale ads on this site.

Some mica powder to dip the case necks into if you are mostly going to neck size for bolt gun. Case lube, as already mentioned for full length resizing. I like the Dillon spray on lanolin stuff.

Reactions: mettee
I had just seen a few examples of people using them and they seemed like a convenient system. I didn’t think about tolerance stacking. That’s a good point and I can probably get rid of those.
I have an LNL AP progressive press that uses the LNL bushings. I would not use them for ultimate precision as others have said. I'd invest in some nice locking die rings (like the Hornady ones). Once you get them set, screwing dies in until they bottom out on the locking die rings is super simple and only takes maybe 5 more seconds than the LNL bushings. Save yourself some of the headaches.

While you are at it, it might be worth your time to look at other presses that have more features and possibly possibly consider a turret press. They don't take up any more room and can speed things up quite a bit.

Just some practice for now out to 1000yds at my local range with anticipation of getting into some PRS matches next year.
I'm not going to comment on the list becasue there is nothing of significance that should be an issue. I will comment on the turret press. I use one but it is primarily a benefit for pistol although it is sometimes a benefit for rifle.

If you've seen a ton of videos you've seen a ton of personal preferences and nuances. Be careful about mixing and matching techniques. I would recommend finding a tutor and get that person to help you get started. If you can't, then pick one of the more popular video and follow it only as you get started.

I'm not going to comment on the list becasue there is nothing of significance that should be an issue. I will comment on the turret press. I use one but it is primarily a benefit for pistol although it is sometimes a benefit for rifle.

If you've seen a ton of videos you've seen a ton of personal preferences and nuances. Be careful about mixing and matching techniques. I would recommend finding a tutor and get that person to help you get started. If you can't, then pick one of the more popular video and follow it only as you get started.
Thanks for this input. As I watch more videos trying to refine my plan, I’m entering the paralysis by analysis phase.

Best thing I did when I started loading was to buy a turret press. The Lyman 8 is a great press and its basically the same press as the rcbs 7 and cheaper but either of those will serve you very well and make life a lot easier for you getting started because you can leave your dies set up. I would recommend honing the spacer for thr turret to get it completely wobble free. Just use 1500 grit paper and go in circles and it takes like 5 min and you will have a solid press with 8 die spots. Also a used chargemaster for $200 in the px is for sure the way to go starting out for powder dispenser. Seriously, this is good advice

Co-ax
Chargemaster
Mititoyo calipers
Hornady bullet comparator set
Hornady headspace set
Hornandy OAL gauge set
Redding dies
Forester lock rings
Tri way trimmer for drill

I would just jump to this and be done.
Then when you get money saved again look at an AMP and upgrade your trimmer from a drill set up.

I also recommend find you someone local to mentor you.

I was very fortunate my first custom rifle I had built I drove several hours to pick it up. I stayed in a hotel and the next day I went to a complete strangers house (that I sort of knew from internet) and he showed me the ways. We loaded 6.5 creed, .338 LM, .223, and .45 acp. Then we went to the range and shot said ammo.

This was invaluable to have someone show me the ropes and get me started.

I need to text him to see how he’s doing actually.

Co-ax
Chargemaster
Mititoyo calipers
Hornady headspace set
Hornandy OAL gauge set
Redding dies
Forester lock rings

Then when you get money saved again look at an AMP and upgrade your trimmer from a drill set up.

I was very fortunate my first custom rifle I had built I drove several hours to pick it up. I stayed in a hotel and the next day I went to a complete strangers house (that I sort of knew from internet) and he showed me the ways. We loaded 6.5 creed, .338 LM, .223, and .45 acp. Then we went to the range and shot said ammo.

You have my approval to change your signature to “Giver of Good Advice” 😆

Seriously, that’s exactly what I did. Including the mentor. I just passed on the expensive caliper’s and cheap ones are no issue for me yet.

You have my approval to change your signature to “Giver of Good Advice” 😆

Seriously, that’s exactly what I did. Including the mentor. I just passed on the expensive caliper’s and cheap ones are no issue for me yet.
I have my moments lol

Get a real scale. A&D FX120 at minimum. You really need to know your charge weights. I use a Sartorius 64-1s good out to.001 the FX will give you .01

Co-ax
Chargemaster
Mititoyo calipers
Hornady headspace set
Hornandy OAL gauge set
Redding dies
Forester lock rings

I don't agree with the press but everything else I do. (Hornady lock rings work well but the redding ones are horrible, though I like their dies).

The best advice in this post is to get with someone who has been loading for a long time and do whatever you need to do so that they can teach you in person. There's so many little habits and systems that are truly important to safety and you won't learn it on YouTube. Seriously, whether it's going to your local reloading supplier and asking them who could mentor you for a day or two, or asking someone from here who is nearby you (I guarantee there is someone within a few hours of you on here who will help you and do this), GET SOMEONE TO SHOW YOU THE WAY IN PERSON. There is nothing more valuable than that.

I have no experience reloading but I've read A Practical Guide to Reloading a couple times and watched a ton of youtube videos. Please look over my proposed setup and let me know if I'm missing anything and if there are better options anywhere. For now I'll just be reloading 6.5 CM. Primarily looking to get into PRS next year. Thanks!

Edit: Updated List - Added a few things I was missing and swapped out a few items for less expensive versions. I'm still very up in the air on case trimmers as this seems like a tedious task. I have a horizontal drill press so I may go with something like the Trim It II.

PartItemPriceComments
Calipers$ -Already Have
Bullet PullerRCBS POW'R Pull$ 25.00Maybe hornady cam lock
Reloading BlocksMTM Universal$ 20.00QTY 2
FunnelFrankford Arseanal AL Funnel$ 30.00
Headspace ComparatorHornady 5 Bushing Set$ 45.00
Bullet ComparatorHornady Basic Set$ 34.00
Case LubeHornady One Shot$ 18.00
Brass TumblerBerry QD500$ 70.00
Media SeparatorFrankford Arsenal Platinum Series$ 47.00
Case TrimmerGiraud$ 555.00Unsure about this. Maybe Trim It II ($180)
Annealer$ -Skip for now.
Powder DispenserChargemaster Link$ 252.00
PressRCBS Rebel$ 240.00
Neck BushingRCBS$ 4.50
$ 1,603.50Total

Previous List
PartItemPriceComments
Calipers$ -Already Have
Bullet PullerRCBS POW'R Pull$ 25.00
Brass TumblerRCBS Vibratory Polisher$ 68.00
Media Separator$ -Vibratory has sifting lid
Case TrimmerHenderson Gen 3$ 850.00#1 collet and 6.5 adjusted cutterhead
AnnealerAnnealeez (275)$ -Do I need this now?
Case Lube$ 15.00
Powder DispenserRCBS Matchmaster Powder Dispenser$ 579.00
PressRCBS Rebel$ 240.00
Neck BushingRCBS$ 4.50Unsure what size I need. Maybe get a few?
Hornady L&LLock and load bushings$ 22.00
$ 2,066.50Total

I probably wouldn't buy the Henderson right up front but I doubt you'd regret it either. I don't see anything egregious, there's a few items I would do differently but I think you should experience it for yourself. The responses this far really tell you there is no one way and everyone has a different opinion.

It sounds like there are a lot of different ways to do things and it's probably best to find someone who's reloading to run me through their process to get some hands-on experience. I really appreciate the time everyone's taken to provide their input and provide suggestions!