• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Even number barrel lengths???

tmcelrath

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Virginia Beach
Why is it that you never hear about any odd # length barrels.. Everyone does 20", 22", 24" 26" or 28".. But there is always that 18.5 as well.. Can anyone explain this? I had this discussion with a couple of my friends and harmonics MAY be the only thing we can think of.
Thanks!!

Re: Even number barrel lengths???

Definitely not harmonics - that barrel doesn't know if it's an even length or not. People just like to think in even numbers. A dozen eggs, a 2x4, etc.

Can't believe this question gets asked at least once a month. So....south of the equator they will only shoot with odd numbers, north of.....well ya got that figured out already.

They are all different anyways and completel random numbers. Each chamber is a different length, so the length of the rifling itself is more than likely never the same. A 27" 338 Lapua has a significant difference in length of rifling than a 27" 22LR.

Barrel length isn't measured as the length of rifling, it's the length from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. A 27" .22 is the same length as a 27" .338.

I went with 23 on my 308 and 27 on my 300wm just to be different.

I always read these questions while visualizing Jerry Seinfeld doing his standup at the beginning of an episode.

And just so I'm not accused of straying off topic, I have a couple of 19" 308s and a 23" 7WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel length isn't measured as the length of rifling, it's the length from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. A 27" .22 is the same length as a 27" .338. </div></div>

I am aware of that, I'm not an idiot, the point I was making was that even number lengths don't make one bit of difference because the actual amount of rifling(the important part) is almost never going to be an even number.

I have a couple 17" barrels on some odd rifles.....a 12.7 X 48 CZ550 Safari Magnum and a .338 BR Rem 700. Both are made to shoot subsonic primarily though they'll both do well with supersonics too.

Frank

I am also aware of both these facts, and I am sure there are people out there with odd lengths. The question is whether or not there is any scientifice origin behind the common preference of even numbers? For example does any one know if maybe at some point it did matter, but not any more or anything like that?... thanks

Just curious if in other countries if barrel lenght is measured in inches or centimeters and if the common lenghts are odd or even numbers?

just thinking outloud

A lot of people just want to cut a little bit off their factory 26" barrel. There's not much point in cutting only 1" (you can't see/feel much difference) so 2" becomes a common unit of decrimination. Hence a lot of barrels end up @ 24" and 22".

Barrels lengths are far more sensitive to harmonics that 1/4" change in length can effect it opposed to inches. Just look at a the barrel crowning test that Quarter Minute Magnums did for Precision Shooting a few months ago. They shot the same load and recrowned the barrel but reduced the barrel length in 1/4" increments. There was a pretty noticeably difference in accuracy.

So changing inches would be way too coarse of an adjustment if searching for nodes.

I have a 25" Bartlein 9.3 on my latest 338LM build by Accurate Ordnance.

How about because the blank steel comes in even lengths? <WAG>

Which stirs up a odd thought, does it matter if you make the bullet leave the rifling in the same clock position as it starts, or maybe on some ratio that leaves a lower chance of harmonics?

Hmm...

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrels lengths are far more sensitive to harmonics that 1/4" change in length can effect it opposed to inches. Just look at a the barrel crowning test that Quarter Minute Magnums did for Precision Shooting a few months ago. They shot the same load and recrowned the barrel but reduced the barrel length in 1/4" increments. There was a pretty noticeably difference in accuracy.

So changing inches would be way too coarse of an adjustment if searching for nodes. </div></div>

Mark, couldn't the same thing be done by varying the powder charge and bullet seating depth? It's like they were tuning the barrel to the ammo vs. tuning the ammo to the barrel. At least that's the way I'm seeing it.

Pros and cons on short vs long. Stiffness,weight,velocity,etc

I let the situation and needs dictate on length, 23" 9.35T Krieger .338 Norma on a folder dissapears in my Eberlestock G4.

Then I do a ladder test during load development. Works for me.

That way I dont have to worry about a surf board when I go Caribou hunting which often involves travelling in vehicles,buses,trains and aircraft.

Best Regards

I think that barrel lengths are determined by marketing experience. Length and weights will affect balance, so different contours will probably work out to specific ideal length ranges.

Naturally, lengths also affect harmonics, but load development generally follows barrel length and not vice-versa.

I really believe you are looking for meaning and significance where there is none.

Greg

Don't mean crap! In the end it's what you want, how you want the gun to look, weight etc.....

Just a few months ago I put a .30cal. on my shop test rifle. Chambered in 7.5x58mm. Finish length is 23". Gun just pounds them!

Prior to that my .338 Lapua barrel is finished at 27".

A vast majority of the .338 barrels we are doing for a couple of customers are finishing at 27" and 25".

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

SO it trns out its just like everything else in the community, presonal preference.. got it!! haha thanks guys