• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ever get a squib rimfire round??

sheldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2004
La Puente, Ca.
Got one today for ther first time. I get the low powdered charge often enough with the bulk boxed stuff of various brands, but hadn't gotten one without any powder till today. It was while shooting my S&W 617 wheelgun and I heard it right away and it plugged the barrel. It was Federal bulk like the Wally World sold stuff. It didn't go in but an inch or so and a chopstick was able to fit the barrel and knock it out very easily.......in fact I actually pushed the bullet back into the muzzle and was able to hand push the bullet all the way through the 4" barrel again with just hand pressure.

Re: Ever get a squib rimfire round??

Yup, been there and done that. It happened to me with some crappy Sellier and Bellot .22 ammo. Will never do that again.

You catch yours before plugging the barrel full of bullets or bulging the barrel? Was yours as easy to push back out??

I had one with the Federal bulk ammo once and I'm not sure if it was a low charge or a no charge. Anyway a friend and I were shooting at an indoor range with my MarkIII and it just gave a little snap and bullet made it out and went about 15 feet and came to rest on the floor. It was pretty funny at the time but wouldn't have been if it had gotten stuck in the barrel.

If the bullet got stuck in the barrel how hard is it to get it out

Yes , its how I destroyed my S&W 422 . I was young and was out yanking the trigger spraying lead around when all the sudden it got real loud and then real inaccurate .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benfur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the bullet got stuck in the barrel how hard is it to get it out </div></div>

most can be tapped out with the use of a cleaning rod.

The fun part is when you squib a revolver and jam the cylinder shut with a bullet halfway into the forcing cone.

The squib isn't the problem. Stacking two more behind it before you realize something isn't right gets tricky. Gunsmith could only pull one of the bullets, had to chemically dissolve the other two. Barrel still shoots good
laugh.gif
(SS bull barrel 10/22)

Man you are lucky that you caught the first one. Most seem to fire again with rim fires...

I was able to find out, the hard way, that I should not shoot .22 shorts out of your 10/22 with a Tac Sol barrel on it.

Just wanted to see how quiet they were so I loaded one up and fired. Didn't realize the bullet never exited and proceeded to put a fresh mag of .22 LR through it. I don't even recall hearing or feeling anything different until I looked at my barrel after shooting. There was a bulge half-way down. I never even considered lower-pressure ammo and a semi-auto......until now. Still need to replace the barrel.