• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ever had a scope wear out?

Ledzep

Bullet Engineer
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    Hornady
    Anyone ever had, with a $1500+ original msrp optic, a wear issue happen?

Like backlash develop in turret screws, click detents smooth out or disappear, POI issues arise in variable power zoom over time, etc...?

Just curious; especially curious about older stuff. Early NF, Vortex Gen 1 razors, old S&B, etc...

I’ve personally only experienced this type of issue once previously, and it was with issued Trijicon TA31RCO. It was on a soldier’s M4 on a range I was running one day. Wouldn’t zero, POI was all over the place, turrets weren’t shifting the POI in relation to the adjustments being made. Moved it to another rifle and another shooter same issues as above. Not a knock at all at Trijicon, I’ve never had or seen any other issues other than with that piece of kit.

I’m assuming that it was poorly cared for or perhaps lost in a connex, something messed that thing up beyond repair. It look pretty beat up when I examined it. As far as other optics go though, I’ve not yet experienced anything of the sort. I’m aware it’s a fixed power optic, and you are probably speaking on variable exclusively, but this is the only incident I’ve ever had or seen.

Put any brand optic on a 50 bmg rifle and you'll find it's weaknesses pretty quickly.
    I've seen several thousand dollar scopes shit the bed right after shooting the smallest group of the match.
    It's really a Roll of the dice, So Buy a scope that offers a lifetime warranty and Pray it doesn't fail.

SJC

I have seen 2 Sightron scopes loose windage after 20 years. Sightron simply asked what new model we wanted and sent us a replacement. Those poor things had seen 30+ rifles for accuracy testing as they had ultra fine target dots perfect for load development.

If you're not changing loads, rifles, etc. I'd think you have a few years at the least. Any reputable manufacturer should be able to fix or replace it under warranty for bad turrets anyways.

2, Leupold Mk 4's one a M1 an one M-3 , both were rebuilt by Leupold an are still running fine. Erectors an windage had lots of backlash. Quit dialing for high speed long ago hold it all now. Still dial for subs past 400yds
    Good to know if my two MK4s take a shit they will fix them up right.

I’ve personally only experienced this type of issue once previously, and it was with issued Trijicon TA31RCO. It was on a soldier’s M4 on a range I was running one day. Wouldn’t zero, POI was all over the place, turrets weren’t shifting the POI in relation to the adjustments being made. Moved it to another rifle and another shooter same issues as above. Not a knock at all at Trijicon, I’ve never had or seen any other issues other than with that piece of kit.

I’m assuming that it was poorly cared for or perhaps lost in a connex, something messed that thing up beyond repair. It look pretty beat up when I examined it. As far as other optics go though, I’ve not yet experienced anything of the sort. I’m aware it’s a fixed power optic, and you are probably speaking on variable exclusively, but this is the only incident I’ve ever had or seen.

Commonplace with USMC Acogs. Every qual we had to send 2-5 shooters back from the company after day 1 because they couldn't BZO. The turrets are horrible for backlash and have spots they get caught (clicks with no adjustment, followed by clicks with more than .1 mil adjustment...). Okay concept, but execution could've been better. Maybe we just had the broken Army hand-me-downs. I've never had interest in Trijicon products ever since though. In the civilian sector I think they're largely riding on name association with military contracts.

Commonplace with USMC Acogs. Every qual we had to send 2-5 shooters back from the company after day 1 because they couldn't BZO. The turrets are horrible for backlash and have spots they get caught (clicks with no adjustment, followed by clicks with more than .1 mil adjustment...). Okay concept, but execution could've been better. Maybe we just had the broken Army hand-me-downs. I've never had interest in Trijicon products ever since though. In the civilian sector I think they're largely riding on name association with military contracts.
    That could be the case, all the ones I used other than that particular case worked flawlessly, and could get me hits on target consistently out to 600 meters with my M4. I like their products but run an EoTech XPS with a G33 magnifier on my Colt. I tossed back and forth on whether to go with the Trijicon or not and decided to try something new.