• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ever had the USPS steal a firearm you shipped?

RedBreast21

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2020
Tennessee
I sold a rifle on a website where such things are often sold, dropped it off with USPS (since the leftists are in charge at UPS and FedEX and no longer allow we lowly non-FFLs to send things through them), and it never hit the USPS tracking system.

Spoke with the manager at the Post Office and he said he would be unable to help. . . brilliant (remember when people actually used to care about doing their jobs?)

Filed a police report, filed a report with the Inspector General of the USPS. Refunded buyer.

I'm sure it'll be a blast to try and get my money back from these jokers. I hope whoever took it gets caught and does 30 months like this Memphis USPS thief: https://wreg.com/news/guns-stolen-from-where-you-might-least-expect-the-united-states-post-office/#:~:text=At a place where you,a 30-month prison sentence.

I know, weak rant. I'm spent from all of the hassle of all of this. I'll do better next time.

Reactions: BurtG
You need to call ATF and report it. I have read of cases where guns were stolen in transit and when ATF showed up, it was "magically" found.
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) this isn't even possible since I'm not a dealer.

Image 11-29-23 at 9.44 PM.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Did you get a drop off receipt when you handed the postal worker the package?
No, and that was a judgment call on my part. There is bin in an "employees only" section to drop off prepaid items - no chance that anyone but the employees can get to that area. I have had *significant* problems when I've tried to send a firearm (and it was TO Accuracy International for a repair) before. Since the recipient's name was
"[redacted] Precision Firearms" and the box was 30 inches long, I decided to put it in that bin (right in-between two employees that were standing there as I did.

It'll all be on their CCTV footage, which the detective will probably pull.

It was a judgment call, but as far as "care custody. and control" of the firearm is concerned, it was provably, indisputably and exclusively in USPS's. What boggles my mind is that they don't scan those packages before they put them on the truck (a fact I learned yesterday).

Reactions: Bender
My experience was I shipped a shotgun to myself in another state. I was going to be there when it arrived. Made sure I told the postal worker that it's a firearm and I'd hate for the ATF to have to start an investigation if it didn't show up. It arrived promptly. Not sure I did that right, but he had placed in on a bin and quickly moved it to another shelf when I stated what it was.

Reactions: Bender
No, and that was a judgment call on my part. There is bin in an "employees only" section to drop off prepaid items - no chance that anyone but the employees can get to that area. I have had *significant* problems when I've tried to send a firearm (and it was TO Accuracy International for a repair) before. Since the recipient's name was
"[redacted] Precision Firearms" and the box was 30 inches long, I decided to put it in that bin (right in-between two employees that were standing there as I did.

It'll all be on their CCTV footage, which the detective will probably pull.

It was a judgment call, but as far as "care custody. and control" of the firearm is concerned, it was provably, indisputably and exclusively in USPS's. What boggles my mind is that they don't scan those packages before they put them on the truck (a fact I learned yesterday).

You're a lawyer, right? You know how things work if it's not "in writing", right?

I also don't recall the USPS rules off the top of my head, but at least one other shipper has instructions to not use firearms-related terms on the address label. Some FFLs have been fairly intelligent about this when selecting their official business name; others not quite as much.

Good luck in recovering your funds. My past few few USPS claims were easy to file and quick to disburse.

Leaving without a receipt and not actually handing them the package to scan is a strange way to handle shipping a gun . Something smells fishy .

I would be just as "sus" with USPS as I would with the other carriers. Some of the people they hire can be rabidly "anti!" Especially the "letter carriers."

I can track shipments and even letters through USPS with their "Informed Delivery" service. I know when things are coming. But the last person to touch those items (both letters and packages) is the letter carrier his/herself, when things are "Out for Delivery." I can;t track them after that, until it ends up in my mailbox. I mention this, because I believe our letter carrier is a "Karen" when it comes to 2A. I often get the occaisional letter from SAF or USCCA or CCW-Safe. And, somehow, those letters seem to never arrive on time when I expect them. They're always 2-3 days late. And when I stand out in front of my house in my driveway to have her hand me the mail directly,, she'll drive right by me (ignoring me) and put it in my mailbox. Insulting!

The above said, when I arranged to have my P-320 sent to Sig-Sauer for its "safety upgrade," it was with Fedex, And it was returned via Fedex. The shipment was direct both ways. My FFL never even saw it. I think if you put it in a box that looks like any other box, it might slip by them. A long gun/rifle is not permitted that luxury. It's going to "stick out" and be "targeted."

It may say that a non ffl cannot report a lost or stolen firearm, but there are many stories- right here on SH- of people doing just that. Make a call to your local ATF office, regardless of what it says on the website.

Non-FFLs can’t ship firearms via USPS anyway. That’ll be their final answer to you when you push.

EDIT: only applies to handguns

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
No one likes the ATF, but they are the pit bull you want on your side in this case. And, regardless of what the website says, there ARE reports on this sites of guys getting resolution for this very issue after contacting the ATF.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I went through something kind of similar with a suppressor. Finding the info to get in touch with the ATF took forever.

Here is the page with their hotline numbers, including the one for stolen firearms. Good luck.

Yeah. It was fully-insured; but the fully-insured part doesn't cover the many hours I already have in this and the many more I'll be putting in filing the claim (I have to wait 15 days),etc. etc.
I'm not sure how it's possible to be fully insured but still not trackable. Earlier this month I sent two packages to LRI in Sturgis. Both shipped in a single transaction. One package arrived in 5 days, The other took 13. You can still hope it'll show up.

But if you shipped priority mail your recite has a tracking number on it.

If you used the kiosk, the tracking number is "in the system" and video evidence should show you give it to the clerks.
If the station manager is blowing you off, you need to talk to the Postmaster. If the PM is a piece of shit too, definitely call the Postal Inspectors.

This reads like he printed a label at home, dropped the gun in a collection bin at the P.O., and bounced. The number may be “in the system” but that doesn’t mean shit if it only comes back with “awaiting drop off at USPS facility.”

You need to call ATF and report it. I have read of cases where guns were stolen in transit and when ATF showed up, it was "magically" found.
This.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) this isn't even possible since I'm not a dealer.

View attachment 8284486
Guess it helps to know a director in the ATF because they certainly did for me. Tell the IG you are getting the ATF involved and I bet it turns up real quick. From what I remember it seems they had some trouble at a specific hub. I doubt anything ever happened but my buyer got his firearm after it was magically found, albeit a month later, but found nonetheless. Once the buyer received it I had him take pics of everything. It had clearly been repackaged. The only thing that got messed up tho was something about the bolt. I don’t remember exactly what it was but the buyer was able to take it to a gunsmith and get it fixed for like $20. When they repackaged it they put the bolt back in the rifle and something happened to it. Details are a bit foggy tho as this was some years ago.

Last edited:
This reads like he printed a label at home, dropped the gun in a collection bin at the P.O., and bounced. The number may be “in the system” but that doesn’t mean shit if it only comes back with “awaiting drop off at USPS facility.”
This is correct.