• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Ever have one of those sayings that just stuck in your brain forever?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
When we were in our late teens we were a core group of friends, always together and loved each other like brothers. We'd work out constantly, running, going to the gym. Anyway on the weekends we'd often end up at someone's parent's home and were treated to a huge meal.

I recall one day my friend's Mom, a hard working imigrant from Eastern Europe, a lovely and bright soul reviewed us with those caring and knowledgeable eyes. With a heavily accented and compassionate tone she informed us that were we to continue on this path we would surely become "strong like bull....smart like streetcar"

I can still hear her voice from so very many years ago.

The serial number to the 1911A1 I was issued at my first unit in Germany in 1981... L Troop 3/2nd ACR.

Along with a lot of what they called "Border knowledge". Man they did drill that stuff into our heads...

Frag Rep - Any occurrence on or near the border, the consequences of which could logically be expected to lead to death or injury to US or Allied personnel, or damage or destruction to US or Allied property.

"The only thing lighter than a hole, is a bigger hole"

"A lethal dose is also a lifetime supply"

"Ignorance and superstition beat logic and science every time"

"Don't let your gunboat mouth overload your rowboat ass"

Something a Drill Sgt said years ago that I never forgot and think about, but don't say, when someone just won't shut the fuck up:

"Shut the fuck up! I'm fucking this cow you're just holding the tail!"

I have no fucking idea where and how he would have come up with that saying, didn't ask either.

Last edited:
“It’s a long road to wisdom, and a short one to being ignored.“ From the Lumineers, as I recall.

“Be smart enough to know what you don’t know.” From a very wise, and gruff, older gentleman I used to work with 40 years ago. Turned a $500 investment into $300M business, so I tended to listen to his witticisms.

Me and the young lady across the street got caught doing some stuff and got in trouble and her father saying to my parents about grounding me like she was “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander”

I did get grounded and it was totally worth it!

A few years ago you heard everyone say, it is what it is. A dozen times a day.

"It was the least I could do".... generally this used to be heard after someone was thanked for doing something in the aid of others.

Nowadays, that has been 're-defined' into "always do the least you can do". And I find THAT, deplorable.

"I know what I don't know". I have taken THAT into what guides me (50% of the time) as well as the "Be The Better Man" (the OTHER 50%) as they are both the way I like/want to conduct myself.

When we were in our late teens we were a core group of friends, always together and loved each other like brothers. We'd work out constantly, running, going to the gym. Anyway on the weekends we'd often end up at someone's parent's home and were treated to a huge meal.

I recall one day my friend's Mom, a hard working imigrant from Eastern Europe, a lovely and bright soul reviewed us with those caring and knowledgeable eyes. With a heavily accented and compassionate tone she informed us that were we to continue on this path we would surely become "strong like bull....smart like streetcar"

I can still hear her voice from so very many years ago.
My Hungarian MIL has a similar saying..."Fast like lightning, quick like tree" & "No brain, no headache"

Old survey boss... "Turn 90 off the bench, run till daylight". NO ONE has any idea when you say that one.

Grandmother.... "If you're born to be hung, you'll never be shot". Truth.

Mom... "If you have one call from the police station, don't call me... you're safer behind bars where I can't get to you"

‘Life is like as black man’s left leg, it ain’t right and it ain’t fair’

Life is what happens while you’re making other plans

If brains were dynamite he’d not have enough to part his hair

The first one gets me into a pile of crap from my wife - I say it to my boys and they’re going to say it a school

Reactions: Concrete shooter
"You'll learn a helluva lot more listening than you will talking", said to me by my Dad when I was about 12.........

"There's always one." (Senior DI Ssgt Acero) Just googled him. He is now a Sgt Maj in CLR 2 on Lejeune, the poor bastard.

The echoing words from the rifle range sound box.
TaaarGets
Two to the chest, one to the head.

Hotter than two mice fucking in a wool sock.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
drill instructor to me " ill stomp a mudhole in your grape" sometime in 1984

“It’ll feel better when it quits hurting” my pops

“Hero’s last 15 minutes, assholes last a lifetime” wise wealthy guy I knew no longer with us

"It's slicker than a minnows peter in a mayonnaise jar". Heard a Amish guy say that one winter. Now ever time I see ice on the road or sidewalk it's the first thing that I think. Lol

Reactions: EN2722
My dad usually thinks twice before he says anything. One day a guy told me "If your dad walked as fast as he talks, he couldnt raise dust in a flour mill!"