• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ever painted a rifle in Predator or ASAT camo?

taecmu

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2010
I am waiting for the gunsmith to rebarrel my rifle. When it is done, I am thinking of painting it with duracoat because I won't be able to fit the parts in an oven.

I want to paint a knock-off pattern like ASAT or predator. I really prefer ASAT. Pattern doesn't have to be exact, but similar color and concept.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any pics? Color suggestions? Any suggestions for painting the ASAT pattern?

I was thinking tactical desert beige as a base with tactical dark earth and tactical black as detail colors.

Re: Ever painted a rifle in Predator or ASAT camo?

I did one a while back in predator using duracoat. Turned out pretty good. Will try to find pictures. The colors you suggested will work, dont forget to throw in some grey also. Beige as your base. some grey and brown to break up and then the black stripes Pic's up. Hard to tell but there is grey in there also
2005_10270016.jpg

d7f41113.jpg

f1a21e24.jpg

That is exactly what I am looking to do. Do you remember exactly what color you used for the base? That is mostly what I am concerned with.

Did you freehand everything, or did you make some sort of stencil?

I finished this one a few weeks ago in duracoat. The colors were underbrush, tactical grey with a little underbrush mixed in (if I did it again, i would use straight tactical grey), and the dark brown is desert brown with black added (about 2/3 brown, 1/3 black).

For some reason in the picture, the grey has a blue look, but in person it is light grey.

predator1.jpg

very nice.

I ahve been doing some searching for color examples and think I am going with Coyote Brown for a base and Desert Mirage Brown, and Matte Black.

If I am buying just one gray, which one? I think I can see two grays, but I am not sure which is which.

I would prefer not to mix colors because I if I have to do repairs, I want to be able to take paint straight from the bottle.

257Speed, that is a very sharp looking job on the duracoat

Here's a scout that I did in ASAT...it's my 'beater' so it aint "pretty" anymore!

FR-8andIthaca.jpg

FWIW
Wes in AZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a scout that I did in ASAT...it's my 'beater' so it aint "pretty" anymore!

FR-8andIthaca.jpg

FWIW
Wes in AZ </div></div>
Very nice, what colors did you use?

257 speed, you can really see the grey in the last pic. great job.

taecmu

I used Krylon khaki , black and had some Rustoleum[? IIRC]rust brown that matched my ASAT stuff almost exactly....it was a while back and I've slept since then!

A trip to Home Depot with a piece of the ASAT will get you there.

Wes in AZ

I'd be very happy if my gun would turn out like any of the ones in this thread. Thanks for the input.