• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ever refinish a Rem 5R bolt?

9sigman45

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
King, NC
Have you ever refinished the jewelled and shiney bolt from a Rem 5R?
If so, what did you use and how has it held up?
As always, pics would be great.

Re: Ever refinish a Rem 5R bolt?

Ceracoated mine...looks great. I it will need to be touched up after awhile. I saw noticable wear around the 500 round mark or so... YMMV.

Cerakote looks and feels pretty good. Does wear, but it still does its job for a couple years. It will keep its color and protect the metal from oxidation.

If you can, wipe it down with a silicon rag and keep dirt out. It will run smooth and not wear much.

If you're in a dry dirty area, keep it bone dry. The Cerakote is smooth enough to feel smooth when you work the bolt. It will wear more dry, but dust wont stick to it like porous bare metal.

Let the Krylon sit for over a week though.

That stuff gets harder over time. I think it says two weeks until completely cure on the can. Or two weeks until scratch resistant. Something like that.

You're right, AZ. I was being just slightly sarcastic but while it's not as good as Duracoat or other coatings, it's 4.25 a can at Wal Mart, and if it scrapes off, you just spray some more on.